JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First anyone could look like terrorist, that is part of what makes terrorism so damn scary.
But after reading this thread a bit more and seeing that the kids looked to be Somalian or Ethiopian only reenforces what I said in my first post: that the kids were damn lucky.

Again terrorists come in all skin tones , shapes , sizes and backgrounds.
I'm not picking on these kids 'cause of where they looked like they were from.
I'm willing to bet however that in many American's minds , when you say terrorist a person who looks like these kids come to mind.
Hence my thoughts of being damn lucky.

As to what to do when you are out and about and someone shouts "ALLAU AKBAR!" , I would say it depends.
It depends on way to many variables to get into without taking over this thread.
In the case of the original post I am glad it wasn't for real and no one was hurt.

Do those kids need to understand that what they did was stupid and potentially life threatening , Hell yes.
Do they need to be shot or beat up , no not really.
But sometimes you got to be fairly rough and forceful to cut through the stupid and get your message across.

As for me, I think a nice chat starting in my "Sergeant Voice" of "What the fvck do you think you are doing ?!!"
And ending with an explanation of what could of happened and what they did was wrong followed by "y'all are so damn lucky! Might have been done.

Learning to "read" a situation or a person is valuable skill.
It comes from our life experiences.
I come from a somewhat tough childhood , spent eight years in the army and have four combat tours.
All of that will have an affect on how I "read" a person or situation.
Since everyone has different experiences they will "read" differently.
How they "read" a situation or person is not "good" or "bad".
Or even better or worse than me. It just can be different.
As long as I can learn something and live to tell the tale , I win.
As always staying alert is good advice.
Andy
* Edit for pre-coffee typing LOL

Last Edited:
As to what to do when you are out and about and someone shouts "ALLAU AKBAR!" , I would say it depends.
It depends on way to many variables to get into without taking over this thread.

Agreeing with every thing in Andys post, this one piece is worth backing up. You shout that out in a public place when any one of my Marine Corps veteran sons are there you are probably going to get a Glock pointed at you. If I am there, same. My training would make me move to immediate cover and clear leather while further assessing the situation, looking for a quick out or the nearest threat target. Those shouted words are evidence of a clear and immediate threat to any military person who has served in country in the last 20 years,and to expect them to not react as trained is not going to happen.

Like it or not profiling is part of situational awareness and properly done will give you a huge advantage and save yours or others lives. That would have taken me to a red level and I would have gathered my family and left no matter what and they went bit*h on the store manager later on. This has got me jacked up just thinking about your situation.

Never, never, never separate from whomever you came into the store or public place. Be ready to get the hell out of there as fast as you can, and if a couple have to go down to do it be ready for that as well.

Agreed CoastRanger57 150% The Wife and I have a rule that we are never separated by more then 10 feet or so when ever we go visit civilization. We always look over the space and watch people for tells. Any thing off, we are out of there! Any you are also correct, any one shouting Allah Akbar is going to get a serious threat assessment at gun point if in close range, other wise its crab walk time out of there right quick and in a hurry like. Profiling IS a way of life for those that have been down range, and as such, I have no problems using it on each and every one I see! PC be damned! Dumb kid or not, you do stupid, you pay stupid! I may not shoot some dumb azz kid, but he may get a big boy punch in the mouth!

As another thought, this thread is, Keep alert. Just because someone does a stupid act doesn't always mean they are stupid. Watch for a set up. Some group could try to herd people one place or another. Remember there was a CCW holder at Walmart (in Az?). He confronted a man who had just shot a cop but was then shot himself from behind when the cop shooters wife/girlfriend murdered him.

Cops, soldiers and criminals work as a team. We are most likely on our lonely while in public. Not equipped to take on multiple assailants. This is not to say it's wrong to act. Just saying really take it in before acting.

A
Cops, soldiers and criminals work as a team.

I deal with "teams" every day in loss prevention. Teams of three. Two enter, usually males followed close by a female or if a male, he is pretty nervous. The two do an assessment survey of the store by going around several different areas, and selecting their target. They are usually trying to determine camera coverage as well.

The third or last person may make contact with store staff to try and draw off coverage on the 2 thieves. This third person will usually then text one of the other monkeys and I see them pick up the text on the cameras. The assessment interview is over and they will try and make a move at that point. I then put two to three employees with in 20 feet of them and make them nervous. If this does not flush them out, then the manager makes contact with the two of them while one of us of us are within 30 feet of the contact. They usually leave at that point followed by the scout shortly there after. Some times drive up, but mostly parking in adjacent lots and then walking up to conceal vehicle type.

This is all usually petty theft stuff, but we did have a team come in with a totally different style and demeanor and within 5 minutes I determined it was a set up for an armed robbery. I contacted the local police I know and told them what was going on and they sent a couple plain clothes guys down to "shop " in the store. This made the robbery team nervous and they finally left, they got a traffic stop on them a bit later and got a felony warrant on one and a gun off one of the guys, (felon in possession of a gun).

Criminals are very good at this , but they also telegraph this stuff pretty clearly if you know what to look for.

"Aloha Snackbar" is that where you get those fancy drinks with umbrellas? LOL
Andy
5dda662c6f9a1a4b87120a2786dd9a4a.jpg

I deal with "teams" every day in loss prevention. Teams of three. Two enter, usually males followed close by a female or if a male, he is pretty nervous. The two do an assessment survey of the store by going around several different areas, and selecting their target. They are usually trying to determine camera coverage as well.

The third or last person may make contact with store staff to try and draw off coverage on the 2 thieves. This third person will usually then text one of the other monkeys and I see them pick up the text on the cameras. The assessment interview is over and they will try and make a move at that point. I then put two to three employees with in 20 feet of them and make them nervous. If this does not flush them out, then the manager makes contact with the two of them while one of us of us are within 30 feet of the contact. They usually leave at that point followed by the scout shortly there after. Some times drive up, but mostly parking in adjacent lots and then walking up to conceal vehicle type.

This is all usually petty theft stuff, but we did have a team come in with a totally different style and demeanor and within 5 minutes I determined it was a set up for an armed robbery. I contacted the local police I know and told them what was going on and they sent a couple plain clothes guys down to "shop " in the store. This made the robbery team nervous and they finally left, they got a traffic stop on them a bit later and got a felony warrant on one and a gun off one of the guys, (felon in possession of a gun).

Criminals are very good at this , but they also telegraph this stuff pretty clearly if you know what to look for.
Nice info! If there is any other tips you want to share, feel free. *hint* *hint*

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top