JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who keeps their long gun close enough that you could get to it in seconds?

• I have one (or more) nearby and could get to it quickly.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I have one (or more) that would take a few seconds to get to.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I would have to open my safe to get to it.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Long gun? We don't need no stinking long gun!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't own a long gun.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
......building brick fences around homes with broken glass on top - U of P (University of Pineland) rules apply.
I've seen and have often thought about a thing like that.

BUT, But, but.......you know how it is said that setting up a condition/trap for a Burglar is illegal. Well.......imagine.

Statement to my lawyer and the police.
"I was running away from a guy chasing me. I tried to scale that perimeter wall. Unknown to me....there was broken glass that was imbedded on the top of it. I got cut up really badly."

"So.....Jackie.......

jackie-chiles.jpg

Do you think that I will collect a "Pay Day" from the home owner and/or the insurance company?"

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Don't open the door for them either.
This is probably one of the most important factors in the scenario. Although I have a weird fear of looking through the door's peephole into the barrel of a gun, it's there for a reason. If I looked outside, in the middle of the night and saw three guys I didn't know, there would be no opening the door. In fact I'd probably just keep quiet, go get the long gun and take up a position to keep an eye on any attempts to breach the door. I feel like we all knew what was coming when we saw that setup....

The lowlife scumbag you refer to will have 17rds of 124gr JHP to contend with. That's what your pistol is for - fighting your way to a bigger gun. As I said in my post, it's just my opinion. If having a loaded long gun leaning against the wall in every room in your home gives you peace of mind, then go for it - only you can determine what level of security is appropriate for you.

Personally, I have family and friends visiting my home frequently, often with young children, so unsecured firearms present a risk I am not willing to accept. Besides that, I am a firm believer in ensuring the security strategy is appropriate for the operating environment, and I don't live in a high threat environment. If I were in an urban area with a high crime rate and low/ineffectual police presence, I might feel differently. Instead I'm fortunate enough to live in a good neighborhood with virtually no crime and law enforcement whose average response time is under 5 min. The odds of a gang of hoodlums kicking open my door is low to begin with (not much tolerance for that in my area), and made even lower by a number of other deterrents - motion lighting, cameras, a tough-sounding dog, reinforced doors, locks on every door and window, etc.

Is it possible they could still target me? Sure, and if that happens and I somehow am unable to get to my long gun, I still have a loaded pistol, multiple defensible positions from which to engage them, and the training to do so quickly and accurately. It's not a perfect strategy, but life is full of tradeoffs, and that's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I simply stating... "It is still nowhere as fast as picking up a rifle/shotgun next to you and getting to work."

This is an interesting topic to discuss.

How fast could you react to a home invasion at 2:00 AM when you wake from a sound sleep confused and unclear as to what is going on? This is a question I have pondered and the answer I always come up with is probably not fast enough, even with an alarm system. What a person needs is time. Time to gather your wits and mount a suitable defense.

My next home that I will have built, will have an additional security door installed in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. Perps would have to first breach the entry door but would then be confronted with a second door to overcome if they insist on getting to that part of the house. That would give me the precious 15-20 seconds needed to clear my head, get 911 dialed, and arm up for a defense.

How fast could you react to a home invasion at 2:00 AM when you wake from a sound sleep confused and unclear as to what is going on? This is a question I have pondered and the answer I always come up with is probably not fast enough, even with an alarm system. What a person needs is time. Time to gather your wits and mount a suitable defense.

My next home that I will have built, will have an additional security door installed in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. Perps would have to first breach the entry door but would then be confronted with a second door to overcome if they insist on getting to that part of the house. That would give me the precious 15-20 seconds needed to clear my head, get 911 dialed, and arm up for a defense.

I like my security dawg- that is, if she isnt sleeping too soundly. They would have to cross her to get to us... Still, I like your plan too.. this security door is new to me...

I like my security dawg- that is, if she isnt sleeping too soundly. They would have to cross her to get to us... Still, I like your plan too.. this security door is new to me...
A smart intruder (I know I know) would kick in the drywall next to the door and enter between the studs. Of course, hopefully by then you have a long gun in your hand.

The homeowner should be/could be doing.....blah, blah, blah......

WAIT, Wait, wait......
Is it for the Politicians to make/dictate, "common sense" safe storage gun laws?

It seems that (In this case) keeping homeowners at the mercy of the criminals is what safe storage laws are about. Think about it.....are those safe-keeping laws/gun storage laws actually "protecting and helping" the criminal elements in getting their deeds done "more safely"?

"Please wait, while I fumble with the combination to my safe."
"Please wait, while I retreat into another room."

Yeah, the "safe storage" conversation should be about.......
My home. My decision on how I store my firearms. Politicians....buzz off.

IMHO......that is "Common Sense" that I can live with.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....my son from an early age, had access to many guns within my household. He was thought gun safety and handling at an early age. I counted on him. He had my back if things went sideways.

Hummmm....... But maybe, I was all wrong? Maybe, I should have put all my faith in the police response time?

Nah.

Last Edited:
Without going into detail, I'm confident we will be alerted, not surprised, well before "visitors" ever reach the house. Vehicle or afoot, night or day. Nighttime, our bedside handguns provide good company for the scant seconds it takes to get the pump shotgun off our bedroom wall (ShotLock mount). Daytime, the EDC is always at hand.

My four year old can sneak into my room and I'm dead to the world. Let's just say if it was anything more serious, I'm in for a bad morning. Even worse on days where I actively try to wear out my kid as I am likely drooling.

So that AK, it's not of any use.

Interesting reading, all the way down to the "Pricing from $6,000" (!!!) near the bottom.

Yeah I saw that but I think that price a bit over the top. A steel framed exterior door would suffice. I just need to buy myself time, not build Fort Knox.

-E-

This one has deadbolts around the perimeter of the door and is under $1k with free shipping. Will be ordering one soon, and will post a review.

VIZ-PRO Quick Mount Steel Security Door with Frame and Hardware, 6 Panel White Left Side-Hinged Inward, 36" Door Slab https://a.co/792EKjy

RE : Post #36
Left or right handed door?

Your post reminded me of that time.......when my friend wanted to remodel and wanted my help with picking doors. Yeah Rrrrright......she figure that we would just go to Home Depot and pick up a few.

Nope......it's not that easy a task when we're talking about her.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I have also thought about.....installing a more secure metal door to my gun room too.

BTW.....
It's obvious that the contractor who built my house didn't give the hardware set (for the garage door) much of a thought. Yeah......the key needs to be upside down, in order to unlock it.

Last Edited:

Some people react too fast and require measures to slow themselves down until they can gather their wits prior to reacting.

Some people react too fast and require measures to slow themselves down until they can gather their wits prior to reacting.
My ex's brother and wife came to visit, and arrived late at night. She let them in, he decided that it was a good idea to startle me awake. As soon as I woke up, I knew it was him, but it took every ounce of self control as I'm bolting upright to not grab the gun next to the bed. It wasn't the brightest move on his part.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top