JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who keeps their long gun close enough that you could get to it in seconds?

• I have one (or more) nearby and could get to it quickly.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I have one (or more) that would take a few seconds to get to.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I would have to open my safe to get to it.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Long gun? We don't need no stinking long gun!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't own a long gun.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
My ex's brother and wife came to visit, and arrived late at night. She let them in, he decided that it was a good idea to startle me awake. As soon as I woke up, I knew it was him, but it took every ounce of self control as I'm bolting upright to not grab the gun next to the bed. It wasn't the brightest move on his part.
Had a similar situation happen back when I had to deal with roommates. My roommate and her boyfriend went out on the town, got hammered, and came back to the apartment. The boyfriend is a jerk in general, more so when he's drunk, and thought it would be funny to kick in my door at 1am.

My wife and I were dead asleep when it happened. I didn't know who it was or what was happening, just that some a$$hat had kicked in my door and was standing there silhouetted in the doorway. I had my G17 in a bedside holster; it was in my hand and aimed at him within a second at most. Right at that moment the roommate screamed "No!", grabbed him by the collar and yanked him out of the room. Needless to say, he didn't come over again.

Had a similar situation happen back when I had to deal with roommates. My roommate and her boyfriend went out on the town, got hammered, and came back to the apartment. The boyfriend is a jerk in general, more so when he's drunk, and thought it would be funny to kick in my door at 1am.

My wife and I were dead asleep when it happened. I didn't know who it was or what was happening, just that some a$$hat had kicked in my door and was standing there silhouetted in the doorway. I had my G17 in a bedside holster; it was in my hand and aimed at him within a second at most. Right at that moment the roommate screamed "No!", grabbed him by the collar and yanked him out of the room. Needless to say, he didn't come over again.
Glad it ended well for BOTH of you.

RE : Post #36
Left or right handed door?

Your post reminded me of that time.......when my friend wanted to remodel and wanted my help with picking doors. Yeah Rrrrright......she figure that we would just go to Home Depot and pick up a few.

Nope......it's not that easy a task when we're talking about her.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I have also thought about.....installing a more secure metal door to my gun room too.

BTW.....
It's obvious that the contractor who built my house didn't give the hardware set (for the garage door) much of a thought. Yeah......the key needs to be upside down, in order to unlock it.
You can choose door size, left or right opening, and inswing or outswing.

RE : Post #43
Doors and the left or right swing.

YUP. Varity is the spice of life.
Think of the "standard sized" door and there is even more choice, if you're talking "custom". Just be prepared to pay.

During the remodel......my friend, even chose to have a set of double doors installed as the entrance to her bedroom.

Aloha, Mark

Long guns in a home invasion aren't ideal. PCC with a shorter barrel, SBR, or braced rifle caliber pistol perhaps. Most of us have not and will never receive the proper CQB training needed to be proficient with a long gun in a home invasion; you'll be much more effective with a handgun.

My four year old can sneak into my room and I'm dead to the world. Let's just say if it was anything more serious, I'm in for a bad morning. Even worse on days where I actively try to wear out my kid as I am likely drooling.

So that AK, it's not of any use.
My security alarm is an elbow from the wife cuz when I pull out that one hearing aid there I no volume just loud tinnitus.
I generally will shake the cobwebs out quickly, then the training kicks in. God help them all.

For the record I trust my American made AR for pertinent duty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top