JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Who keeps their long gun close enough that you could get to it in seconds?

• I have one (or more) nearby and could get to it quickly.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I have one (or more) that would take a few seconds to get to.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I would have to open my safe to get to it.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Long gun? We don't need no stinking long gun!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't own a long gun.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I have a long gun close by and ready..albeit it's not a AK47 copy....:D

In any event....
Having a plan...
And the willingness to do whatever is necessary in order to survive / stop the threat is just as , if more than important than whatever firearm you chose or can get to.

Also worth considering :
If you want to avoid getting shot at or having a gun in your face...don't go and try to be a home invader... :D
Andy

Actually I do...:D
But while I do love that rifle...it ain't the one I was thinking about in my first post....
Shhh...don't tell my Hawken though..., don't wanna hurt her feelings...:D
Andy
Lemme guess…. You named your Hawken, "Sadie".

See what I did there, huh? Sadie…. Hawkins?

Ba-da-bum! :s0108:

Hello, is this thing on?:s0158:

Hmm… apparently yes!:s0030:

According to the linked news article....
Escambia County Sheriff Chip Simmons, asked if the homeowner had done anything wrong, told Fox News,"Absolutely not. If protecting your family and yourself is wrong, then I don't know what we're here for … He did absolutely nothing wrong."
Then.....watch the video. Yeah, you can hear the gun fire as the culprits have their backs turned and are running to escape.

So then.....Me, I wouldn't recommend it.
And YES. I'm not entirely versed in the laws of Florida and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Whatever.

Aloha, Mark

AK_s_for_everyone.png

Besides just having an AK.
Be sure that you have the correct shooter's position. And, that WAR FACE is verrry important to the task.

1657991715540.png

1657991563232.png

Aloha, Mark

Not to nitpick, but option 1 and 3 in the poll are not mutually exclusive. They may not be the right choice for everyone, but quick access rifle cabinets enable you to keep a rifle or shotgun secure, but you can get them out and ready to use in a few seconds. I would personally not feel undergunned or unprepared with guns staged in this manner, especially when paired with a layered home security strategy that provides early warning of a potential intruder.

Not to nitpick, but option 1 and 3 in the poll are not mutually exclusive. They may not be the right choice for everyone, but quick access rifle cabinets enable you to keep a rifle or shotgun secure, but you can get them out and ready to use in a few seconds. I would personally not feel undergunned or unprepared with guns staged in this manner, especially when paired with a layered home security strategy that provides early warning of a potential intruder.
It is still nowhere as fast as picking up a rifle/shotgun next to you and getting to work. Think that lowlife scumbag on your tail is just going to give you the opportunity to open a cabinet to retrieve a weapon to shot him?

It is still nowhere as fast as picking up a rifle/shotgun next to you and getting to work. Think that lowlife scumbag on your tail is just going to give you the opportunity to open a cabinet to retrieve a weapon to shot him?

The lowlife scumbag you refer to will have 17rds of 124gr JHP to contend with. That's what your pistol is for - fighting your way to a bigger gun. As I said in my post, it's just my opinion. If having a loaded long gun leaning against the wall in every room in your home gives you peace of mind, then go for it - only you can determine what level of security is appropriate for you.

Personally, I have family and friends visiting my home frequently, often with young children, so unsecured firearms present a risk I am not willing to accept. Besides that, I am a firm believer in ensuring the security strategy is appropriate for the operating environment, and I don't live in a high threat environment. If I were in an urban area with a high crime rate and low/ineffectual police presence, I might feel differently. Instead I'm fortunate enough to live in a good neighborhood with virtually no crime and law enforcement whose average response time is under 5 min. The odds of a gang of hoodlums kicking open my door is low to begin with (not much tolerance for that in my area), and made even lower by a number of other deterrents - motion lighting, cameras, a tough-sounding dog, reinforced doors, locks on every door and window, etc.

Is it possible they could still target me? Sure, and if that happens and I somehow am unable to get to my long gun, I still have a loaded pistol, multiple defensible positions from which to engage them, and the training to do so quickly and accurately. It's not a perfect strategy, but life is full of tradeoffs, and that's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

In a society that is slipping from a high level of mutual trust between citizens to one that is low trust - loosely speaking, changing from strolling our neighborhoods after dark without fear to building brick fences around homes with broken glass on top - U of P (University of Pineland) rules apply.

My carbine and minimal support gear is readily accessible under the bed - I can be ready to repel boarders in seconds or out the door in an emergency within two or three minutes.

Beware the old man who just wants to be left alone.

Para Proelium

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads