JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A reminder to keep alert!

So last night my wife wanted to go to Wally World to buy something. We did our thing, and when we were done, the lines were super long, so my wife went to check out some of the clothing while I waited in line. My summer cc now is my s&w bodyguard 380 on me w/ 7rds, and a 10rd extended mag in my pocket.

It was very slow, everyone had a full cart, and I admit to being super bored, so I was on my phone browsing. I was pretty focused on reading something interesting and useless, when I heard some young men making a ruckus, yelling and by sound about 40ft back and to my right, I didn't bother to look at where they were, I figured it was the "young'ins" being loud, I couldn't make out what they were saying or in what language.

Until I heard one yell Allahu Akbar.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose and I froze, my first thought was this can't be happening. Next thought was, where's my wife! I turned and did a scan around, saw people around everywhere, the young men were in the middle of everyone waiting in the lines.

Fortunately, these guys turned out to just be loud and obnoxious, and playing on other peoples fears. They laughed it off and kept clowning around, but it was very frightening for me and others as well judging by their pale faces.

I realized how we always have to be on yellow alert and aware of what's going on around us, and where our loved ones are. If after that yell shots had started I would be in a very bad position, late situation awareness, lots of bad sight lines, no good backstops, and no idea where my wife was. She turned out to be about 60ft away behind me looking at underwear, so about 20ft away from the young men.

Keep safe out there!

Wow, that would freak me out too. 'Kids these days'; I mean yelling that in a crowded store is a kin to yelling fire in a movie theater. Idiots.
Yellow alert is always my default state of mind. White is when you're asleep behind locked doors, and little else. Being relaxed while in yellow alert is the key, for me anyway.
Not to judge harshly, but you did have your head in your phone; I don't have a cell phone/iphone, but I see so many people just mindlessly plodding along while tuned into a separate reality, and that's worse than bad situational awareness as it's a negative situational awareness.
While not totally new info, especially if you're already aware of Cooper's level's of awareness, but a good bone up on a systematic approach to situational awareness, check out "Left of Bang; How the Marine Corps Combat Hunter Program can save your life"; it's on Amazon.

It's tough to be on "yellow" alert constantly, but that is the reality of our society today. Letting one's guard down, even for an instant, can have negative ramifications. I fully understand the sinking feeling and the hair standing up on the back of your neck. And that moment of searching for the Mrs as well as the source for the concern.

I've worked to teach my wife to always be aware of her environment, who's nearby and what's going on. It's something we talk about often, and I point out scenario's and what if's to her to keep her thinking more critically.

We all need to stay alert, stay armed and be careful out there...

Always keep your eyes up and your head on a swivel! Watch for "tells" body language, clothing that doesn't match the conditions, nervousness. Sight lines, back stops, clear zones, and escape should always be in your sights! Every trip to civilization is a learning experience and the best way to learn how to be better prepared! I am always on yellow Alert until I am forced into something like Wally World, then it's full on Orange with a tinge of red!

It's tough to be on "yellow" alert constantly, but that is the reality of our society today. Letting one's guard down, even for an instant, can have negative ramifications. I fully understand the sinking feeling and the hair standing up on the back of your neck. And that moment of searching for the Mrs as well as the source for the concern.

I've worked to teach my wife to always be aware of her environment, who's nearby and what's going on. It's something we talk about often, and I point out scenario's and what if's to her to keep her thinking more critically.

We all need to stay alert, stay armed and be careful out there...
Yes, yellow alert can be exhausting, especially if you're prone to hyper-vigilance like me; it definitely limits my 'exposure time' in public places as I can't turn it off if I wanted to, so it's always a big energy draw. The 'needle' moves a lot too, but mostly returns to yellow thankfully. Flip side, I remember chit no one else seems to, and can read things quickly and articulate them if need be. I've always been like that, and it is kind of at the cost of other positive aspects of being social, and I think a big factor in my active alcoholic days (8 years, 5 months sober and wouldn't trade it for anything:s0108:)
Anyway, off topic! Yes, head on a swivel, and when possible take a break because the fatigue is not only real, but it diminishes being alert.

Never want to dull the senses... By any means, especially fatigue.

Need to take time to relax occasionally, to decompress as it were. I reserve an hour or two after the family has gone to bed, when my little corner of the world gets the most quiet to do just that.

Go to Condition White, knowing the home and family are secure. That's the time to have a beer and do something constructive. Reloading, pouring lead, catching up on cleaning the mechanical objects of my fascination. Just something to help me relax and decompress.

That's an interesting point!
What with my various disabilities, I'm fatigued by mid afternoon and nammac's post reminded me just how much I work to be home by that time! I'm a cautious guy, so just seems natural to want to be home, locked in, next to my Baretta 92 and getting my rest.

Man, you're heart must have gone from 0 to 100 in a millisecond! I'm sure glad it was just idiots! Thanks for sharing an important lesson! :) SRG

For sure! In that moment, I just wished that I had my wife with me, as I was near the front of the line at that point, and it would have been a mad dash to the door to get outta dodge! The thought of having to wade though the Wally World mess and possibly past an active shooter(s) to get to the clothing section makes me cringe now. Never going to separate while out and about unless absolutely necessary.

Last Edited:
For sure! In that moment, I just wished that I had my wife with me, as I was near the front of the line at that point, and it would have been a mad dash to the door to get outta dodge! The thought of having to wade though the Wally World mess to get to the clothing section makes me cringe now. Never going to separate while out and about unless absolutely necessary.
This is a good policy, whenever I'm out with the wife or the girls, we are together. It's the only way I can provide protection for them. The only time we separate if for restroom use. Even then, I'm outside waiting. They think I'm overprotective, I think I'm being diligent. That's just the way it needs to be in the society that we live in today. Never leave them alone in public.

Always a good idea to keep your eyes peeled when out and about.
Sounds to me like those kids were damn lucky, yelling something like that in these times
They might be needing what we used to call in the army some wall to wall counseling , to show the error of they're ways ...
LOL
Andy

Those punks are sure lucky to be alive... What if someone would have taken them seriously and put a round between their eyes? dumba$$ kids!
Yeah, it might be good to help those kids realize that in 2016 that kind of behavior isn't a joke, and might actually result in bullets flying towards them. Just like you shouldn't joke with the TSA about a bomb in your shoe or joke with the border folks about drugs in your wheel well. Difficulty is, that type of teenager knows they're invincible, and is convinced they're way smarter than any 'old' person.

My approach, whether I was 'old' or young, carrying or not, would be, "dudes, be careful! You never know when some red-neck yahoo with a gun might hear you say that, and end up shooting you. Just want you to stay safe."

Now, I'm not saying that someone who carries has a red-neck or is a yahoo. Not at all. This is just a technique That turns the attention towards this imaginary red-necked yahoo 'enemy' and deflects attention away from the possibility that you might actually be carrying concealed. Then I could shuffle away from them, having done my good deed for the day without threatening my own safety.

Just an idea. Some of us may have been dingbats when we were teenagers. We just have to keep them alive until they can grow brains. Lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top