JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh Bloody Hell....what's next? Primers with Patty????

If this is Patty I am in!

KzRFXZR.jpg

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... great sucking of teeth here, Bro. Who zackly defines the 'purist form of English'?

So-called 'received English', like what most MAIN news readers utter on BBC news, is NOT the most widespread accent - in fact, it only appears in certain sections of society along a narrow corridor of native English speakers in England, mostly those who had the benefit of university education in Oxbridge. As you move away from that strip, and move into the general population, England, let alone Wales, Scotland and Norn Iron, is awash with local accents and dialects, even today. The well-regarded Lord Melvin Bragg, author, commentator and all-round bon oeuf, was born in Cumbria - the top North West part of England adjacent to Scotland, a part of the country very heavily influenced, like the North in general, by Norse from Denmark and Norway. Until he was about twelve, and got fed up of having his leg pulled at school, he didn't actually speak English, but Cumbric, a dialect of English made up of Old Norse, Old Egnlish and surprisingly, Roma. Even down where I live, the Viking influence in the form of left-over Anglo-Saxon, surrounds us in place names and family names too, let alone the vernacular. In fact, the entire right-hand half of England, top to bottom, is heavily place-named with recognisably Norse place-names.

I suggest that you get on to Youtube and listen to some British accents, and you'll find that Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins and his fractured 'Cockney' London English is about a billion miles away from anything you'll hear.

Being a natural polyglot, picking up languages the way most people pick up the weekly groceries, I have a 'neutral' accent in spoken English - what you might call a 'well-educated', much like the foks in the Downton Abbey TV series. As a result, my spoken English is very measured - remember that I was a teacher and instructor of a wide range of technical subjects, in four languages, for most of my military career. However, within half an hour of being with you, I'd sound like your next-door neighbour, IF I wanted to. And in case you're wondering, I really DO speak the way I write, and vice-versa.

tac

Dude, we love you Bro!:D

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... great sucking of teeth here, Bro. Who zackly defines the 'purist form of English'?

So-called 'received English', like what most MAIN news readers utter on BBC news, is NOT the most widespread accent - in fact, it only appears in certain sections of society along a narrow corridor of native English speakers in England, mostly those who had the benefit of university education in Oxbridge. As you move away from that strip, and move into the general population, England, let alone Wales, Scotland and Norn Iron, is awash with local accents and dialects, even today. The well-regarded Lord Melvin Bragg, author, commentator and all-round bon oeuf, was born in Cumbria - the top North West part of England adjacent to Scotland, a part of the country very heavily influenced, like the North in general, by Norse from Denmark and Norway. Until he was about twelve, and got fed up of having his leg pulled at school, he didn't actually speak English, but Cumbric, a dialect of English made up of Old Norse, Old Egnlish and surprisingly, Roma. Even down where I live, the Viking influence in the form of left-over Anglo-Saxon, surrounds us in place names and family names too, let alone the vernacular. In fact, the entire right-hand half of England, top to bottom, is heavily place-named with recognisably Norse place-names.

I suggest that you get on to Youtube and listen to some British accents, and you'll find that Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins and his fractured 'Cockney' London English is about a billion miles away from anything you'll hear.

Being a natural polyglot, picking up languages the way most people pick up the weekly groceries, I have a 'neutral' accent in spoken English - what you might call a 'well-educated', much like the foks in the Downton Abbey TV series. As a result, my spoken English is very measured - remember that I was a teacher and instructor of a wide range of technical subjects, in four languages, for most of my military career. However, within half an hour of being with you, I'd sound like your next-door neighbour, IF I wanted to. And in case you're wondering, I really DO speak the way I write, and vice-versa.

tac

One of the things I've enjoyed on YouTube is a group that performs Shakespeare using what they believe was the original form of English at the time - including not only the accent, but the intonation/inflections, which they say actually changes the meaning of some of the passages. Sounded a bit more like Chaucer's Canterbury Tales to my untrained ear. Worth a watch for anyone who's interested.

I have a Japanese keyboard and system - sadly, it does not see emojis except as little empty squares. I can post them from the menu, but I can't see them in the text.

Funny old world, eh?

tac

I have a Japanese keyboard and system - sadly, it does not see emojis except as little empty squares. I can post them from the menu, but I can't see them in the text.

Funny old world, eh?

tac

Wait... you're in the UK, with a Japanese keyboard and system..... Ever have an identity crisis in the morning? [tongue sticking out emoji for those of you who have Japanese keyboards and systems] lol......

Wait... you're in the UK, with a Japanese keyboard and system..... Ever have an identity crisis in the morning? [tongue sticking out emoji for those of you who have Japanese keyboards and systems] lol......

Sir, I have no need of a cranky computer to give ME and identity crisis, I assure you.

Y'see, I found out around the age of twenty or so that I'd actually been somebody else at birth, and got swapped for yet another person. So who knows just WHO I might be.

tac

tac
Dialects are quickly disappearing in all languages as a result of spoken mass media. Here in the US the "California" dialect is becoming the standard. In Germany, low and high German (that I learned) have morfed into something in between with liberal English influence. Regional differences are being diminished world wide. Someday they will disappear all together like the old English spoken by our Puritan ancestor's language did.

Sir, I have no need of a cranky computer to give ME and identity crisis, I assure you.

Y'see, I found out around the age of twenty or so that I'd actually been somebody else at birth, and got swapped for yet another person. So who knows just WHO I might be.

tac
We have DNA testing these days.........you can't fool Mother Nature........

The one from before 43 AD ;) I think this is great! The more we can broaden the appeal and understanding of the shooting sports the better.

Not so, before the Romans came the British spoke Brythonic. Now we call it Welsh, and we still speak it. The Romans, however, left a while back.

And then the people came who spoke a bunch of languages that gradually segued into the English we are all speaking today.

tac

tac

I hope my question didn't come off as facetious. It is a something I've often wondered. I find Rosie's accent very pleasant. I also watch a lot of Top Geat(or Grand Tour now) and I find myself parroting their accents sometimes. Jeremy Clarkson is a hero of mine ever since he decked Pierce Morgan.

I assume more than just what letters are emphasized...word order and choice also plays in to what "proper" or "pure" English would be.
One word that always struck me was aluminum. Folks over there pronounce it aloo-min-yum. Where as us staters pronounce it aloo-min-umm. Which is the English pronunciation? Who's call is it to answer that question?

I hope my question didn't come off as facetious. It is a something I've often wondered. I find Rosie's accent very pleasant. I also watch a lot of Top Geat(or Grand Tour now) and I find myself parroting their accents sometimes. Jeremy Clarkson is a hero of mine ever since he decked Pierce Morgan.

I assume more than just what letters are emphasized...word order and choice also plays in to what "proper" or "pure" English would be.
One word that always struck me was aluminum. Folks over there pronounce it aloo-min-yum. Where as us staters pronounce it aloo-min-umm. Which is the English pronunciation? Who's call is it to answer that question?

Here in yUK we say Al-Yoo-minIUm. It might surprise you to discover that most of things that the UK English-speakers find odd about demotic US English - in front and in back, write me instead of write TO me, visit with instead of just plain ol' visit - are correct pre-Charles II speech. Same goes for the US spelling of words like, armor, humor, color and so on. Charles II Mrs, Henrietta-Maria, was French, and her husband had the English dictionary re-written by his sycophants to reflect his deep and abiding love of all things French. The result was the Frenchification of much of the Shakespearean spelling that had been the norm. The King James Bible was written in Jamesian English, you may have noticed. There are, TMK, around three thousand words that are now different in UK English than US English usage, most involving the replacement of s with z, or s with c.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

tac

Their speach was different.
Muriel also spoke Welsh, very different from english

Well yes, Welsh is the original language of mainland Great Britain, a Brythonic Celtic language. English is a [mostly] Germanic language with lots of Greek and French, the occasional Arabic, Hindi and, surprisingly, Turkish. Plus, of course, all the tens of thousands of loan-words.

I'm speak a lot [Northern] Welsh, as you may have noticed if you've been reading any of my posts over the years.

tac

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads