JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A basic 2 die set, FL sizer and seating die. Is there any difference between brands?

Im adding another caliber to reload, I've been using Redding dies but there is a Hornady set for about $50 less. Any reason to stick with the Redding dies?

within the same price point, are some brands better than others?

Last Edited:
I actually like the Hornady dies.
I have a lot of different calibers all set up and use.
Most are RCBS and then Hornady.
I do have two or three sets of Redding dies as well.
I did get rid of most of the Lee dies I had and will be disposing of the remainder of the Lee dies I have that came along on purchase packages I bought.
They all work, it mostly personal choice.

I like the Hornady dies. I do use a few Lee crimp dies, mostly because they are inexpensive and work.
I think Hornady is doing their special again, where you get 100 bullets if you buy a set of dies. I got a lot of free 44 bullets when they ran that the last time.

I've got dies from RCBS, Hornady, Hollywood Gun Shop, Lyman, Lee and maybe even an old Herters set. They all work for me. All of my carbide dies are from RCBS. Man, those things were life changing. I replaced all of my pistol caliber dies with carbide dies.

I'm not a competitive shooter. I do load my own hunting ammo. The rest is mostly plinking ammo. I buy almost all of my self-defense ammo.

I own RCBS, Hornady and Lee. If I buy more die sets, they will be Lee Carbide unless I got a great price savings on something different..
I got my Hornady die set because of the before mentioned sale where they also provide reloading bullets. It did take a very long time to get the bullets shipped to me, but eventually they arrived.
If I were shooting competition rifle, my choice might be different.

I own RCBS, Hornady and Lee. If I buy more die sets, they will be Lee Carbide unless I got a great price savings on something different..
I got my Hornady die set because of the before mentioned sale where they also provide reloading bullets. It did take a very long time to get the bullets shipped to me, but eventually they arrived.
If I were shooting competition rifle, my choice might be different.
I always try cheapest first. I haven't ever had a problem with Lee or any other. I do have a set of Redding dies for an obsolete caliber. Nice dies. I don't know. I know some folks have an issue here or there but every die I have works just fine if set right. I have everything except Lyman in my die library because I just haven't run across one I need? Kind of amazing considering quality control and work ethic these days.

When it comes to 2-die sets, different brands might have some slight variations, but overall they should do the job. Redding is known for their quality and precision, which can be reflected in the price. On the other hand, Hornady offers a more budget-friendly option without compromising functionality. So, if you're looking to save some bucks, the Hornady set could be a solid choice. Just make sure it meets your reloading needs.

When it comes to 2-die sets, different brands might have some slight variations, but overall they should do the job. Redding is known for their quality and precision, which can be reflected in the price. On the other hand, Hornady offers a more budget-friendly option without compromising functionality. So, if you're looking to save some bucks, the Hornady set could be a solid choice. Just make sure it meets your reloading needs.
Im fairly new to reloading, have only used Redding dies so far so I dont have a way to judge Hornady dies. Im just doing basic reloading for hunting, I expect at least 1moa is all I need. For the basic 2 die set the Redding is about 50 bucks more than Hornady. Same for RCBS. I just thought why spend the extra $50 bucks but every time Ive done that in the past Ive ended up buying the better thing later down the road.

Im fairly new to reloading, have only used Redding dies so far so I dont have a way to judge Hornady dies. Im just doing basic reloading for hunting, I expect at least 1moa is all I need. For the basic 2 die set the Redding is about 50 bucks more than Hornady. Same for RCBS. I just thought why spend the extra $50 bucks but every time Ive done that in the past Ive ended up buying the better thing later down the road.
If you're primarily reloading for hunting and expect at least 1 MOA accuracy, both brands should meet your requirements. If you're on a tighter budget, the Hornady dies could be a reasonable choice to get started. However, if you value long-term reliability and precision, investing in the slightly pricier Redding dies may be worth it.

If you're primarily reloading for hunting and expect at least 1 MOA accuracy, both brands should meet your requirements. If you're on a tighter budget, the Hornady dies could be a reasonable choice to get started. However, if you value long-term reliability and precision, investing in the slightly pricier Redding dies may be worth it.
I sense a slight bias in favor of Redding..... :)
Its probably what I should buy, im used to them so I will be more consistent setup time between calibers.

I don't know that I've ever actually spent $50 on a single set of dies. I have a lot of dies, but more RCBS than anything else. I think that's just because that's what I started with, and they work well.

I've loaded a lot of very accurate 30-06 ammo using a $10 set of dies I bought used at a gun show. Unless you're very particular or loading competition bench rest ammo, I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

I load for nine calibers. I'm what the old timers would consider new to the hobby, only loading for eleven years. I'd be confident in Lee dies getting any job done okay. I have two sets, 9mm and .40. But their price has gone way up, and they STILL use that P.I.T.A. lock ring! So you have to buy, well you don't have to I guess, a proper (Hornady style) lock ring! What would it cost Lee to change that? Buck-fiddy?
Any way, Hornady is what I have most of, and they work.

I might at some time pick up a set of Hornady, or some other brand besides Lee, of 9mm dies. 9mm Lee sizes really tough in the Lee sizer/decapping die.

I load for nine calibers. I'm what the old timers would consider new to the hobby, only loading for eleven years. I'd be confident in Lee dies getting any job done okay. I have two sets, 9mm and .40. But their price has gone way up, and they STILL use that P.I.T.A. lock ring! So you have to buy, well you don't have to I guess, a proper (Hornady style) lock ring! What would it cost Lee to change that? Buck-fiddy?
Any way, Hornady is what I have most of, and they work.

I might at some time pick up a set of Hornady, or some other brand besides Lee, of 9mm dies. 9mm Lee sizes really tough in the Lee sizer/decapping die.
I don't think you're a newbie anymore bro. Just sayin'.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top