JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Out of the list what press do you use?

• Total voters
I am just now getting into reloading and still researching the best press for my needs. Right now I am leaning toward the Redding T7 but thats only because I have heard some reviews of poor quality on the lower priced Lee Turret. Sadly there is an absence of comparative information on the T7 and many discount it because it fails to match the speed of progressives. My question to you is can you detail your feeling about the T7 and maybe the differences between it and the Lee Turret (I understand that the price speaks to certain quality aspects) and what you might recommend given that I am looking to reload safely and accurately not necessarily quickly. Also one main reason I am looking at Turret style is because I would prefer to clean my primer pockets each reload and that step seems to diminish the value of the progressives.

My question to you is can you detail your feeling about the T7 and maybe the differences between it and the Lee Turret (I understand that the price speaks to certain quality aspects) and what you might recommend given that I am looking to reload safely and accurately not necessarily quickly. Also one main reason I am looking at Turret style is because I would prefer to clean my primer pockets each reload and that step seems to diminish the value of the progressives.

Put a Lee Turret side by side with a T-7 and the differences will stand out like a sore thumb. The T-7 is a great turret press.

As for cleaning primer pockets each time, I load on a progressive and do this every time I load a batch of cases. I run the cases through the press first with a universal de-priming die and then put them all into the tumbler with Stainless Steel Pin Media. This cleans the inside of the case as well as the primer pockets, not just a quick polish job on the outside.

I also find it easier to "match" my cases, weighing each and putting those with similar weights in a group. I'm no longer weighing the crud that has attached itself to varying thicknesses to the inside of the case. This step helps assure that I am shooting cases in a group that have as close to the same volume as possible.

Loading with a progressive press does not require that one skip any case processing steps. For me, I prefer to load my Progressive Press with like new brass everytime so I de-prime, clean, and trim as necessary before loading in the casefeeder. Then I go fast.

Perfect responses thank you very much. It seems my suspicion is correct - reloading is addictive and expensive. Now I'm trying to decide if a T7 setup is what I really want or if I need to grow a pair and get a progressive, something like the RCBS Pro 2000. I know there is tons of info and comparisons on all those presses. It will likely come down to the whim im struck with the moment i decide to buy. Thanks again for the info.

Any one try some of the bullet feeder add-ons and like them?

Add on? My left hand has worked flawlessly for over 100k rounds so far. It's "original equipment" and didn't cost me any extra;) Left me with an extra couple hundred bucks to put into components:)

Seriously, everyone I've talked to likes the one they have. I've just done without one for so long I wouldn't know what to do with my left hand if I got one.

Add on? My left hand has worked flawlessly for over 100k rounds so far. It's "original equipment" and didn't cost me any extra;) Left me with an extra couple hundred bucks to put into components:)

Seriously, everyone I've talked to likes the one they have. I've just done without one for so long I wouldn't know what to do with my left hand if I got one.
Ever see a left handed person reload? Some loss of "fell" in using a progressive then more with the off right hand...
And putting them 223/556 tips in place is a big pain in the :s0001:

Ever see a left handed person reload? Some loss of "fell" in using a progressive then more with the off right hand...
And putting them 223/556 tips in place is a big pain in the :s0001:

Maybe the "lefties" could just mount the press "backwards" on the bench and then just learn to "push" for a downstroke.

I have a sister that's a leftie. We always told her she "wasn't quite right".;)

Hornady LNL AP here-my first press and now has something like 30,000 rounds through it during my 3 years in competition. Hopefully I'll be adding to that total soon.

For add on I have the RCBS powder check (EVERY round has gone "bang"), and--since the press is one of the very early manufacture--I've upgraded the primer system and added EZ Ject. The newest version has all sorts of cool features that temp me to pick up a second and use one for rifle and one for revolver.

Perfect responses thank you very much. It seems my suspicion is correct - reloading is addictive and expensive. Now I'm trying to decide if a T7 setup is what I really want or if I need to grow a pair and get a progressive, something like the RCBS Pro 2000. I know there is tons of info and comparisons on all those presses. It will likely come down to the whim im struck with the moment i decide to buy. Thanks again for the info.

Good thing I decided for you with this Craigslist score....

Check out X-Treme plated bullets. They just reduced their prices from Obama scare high. Other than some experiments, I've used these bullets for most of the 30,000 or so rounds I've reloaded.

I actually have 1,000 Extreme plated waiting to be loaded. I used the Ranier box I got at Cabelas bargian cave for about $20 bucks off. Really I started with the Raniers purely because I found the formula in the Accurate book using those exact parts. Ive found the hardest part of beginning this process is learning where to get data that matches the plated bullets.

Score hardly seems appropriate considering the bargain. Now I might need you to modify the bench before I pick it up, since you have all those nice tool, and Huggies.

Call in "sick" tomorow and come down. Im "working" offsite because of the halloween. I'll pick you up in Lakewood... haha.

I started with a Lee Challenger kit. The older smaller pot metal version, not the bigger cast iron version they also have. Used it for probably 4 years loading 9mm Luger, .38 Special, 45 ACP, .223 Remington, and .308 Winchester. Just about wore the thing out. From there I tried the Dillon SDB for a week or so and decided I'de rather have the Dillon 550B so I could use the dies I already had. I then got hooked on looking for used equipment in local ads and was pretty sucessful for a while there. I got a whole bunch of different brand presses and equipment over the years and have sold and kept and upgraded along the way. Thought I was on top when I was running a couple 550B presses each setup with a different primer size, but then I was lucky to score a couple Dillon 650 presses and ran them for years. I then ran into a sweet Dillon 1050 deal with extra toolheads and conversion kits and decided to sell off the 650s. Now I'm down to a 550B and the 1050......oh I have a RCBS Rock Chucker around too just in case!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top