JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's your reasoning for wanting a progressive press? Are you producing a lot of 44mag rounds? Are you new to reloading? How did you decide on a Lee press? There are a few other progressive press manufacturers too.

When you move to a progressive press, you need to have a larger budget and have the time to tinker with the press to get all the steps adjusted " just right".

If you're already a reloader, I'm likely telling you something you already know. My apologies, if that's the case.

I am experienced but my time is valuable. Trying to think of a time efficient way to do this. I have a dillon 650 xl and a lyman turret press, but the lyman is slow. I do not like to tinker with the 650 because it is set for 223 and 357 now. Ideas. I am not wedded to Lee.

Buy the change over kit for the Dillon set it up load a years worth of 44's and change it back, total time about 1 1/2 hr's.
I have been loading on a 650 for over 20 years.

I have a dillon 650 and a 550. I typically leave the 650 set up for small primer and the 550 set up for large primer. Since my 650 has a case feeder, I load the higher volume stuff on there. The 550 is easier for caliber conversions. Although switching the priming system on either is not too difficult, I find it convenient to leave one of each set up for large and small primer. Finding a used 550 and caliber conversion/dies for a 44 mag would be a decent option IMO. I also have a Square Deal B set up for 45 ACP. Let me know if you are interested, with a 44 mag conversion kit it would work for you.

I have limited experience with Lee. My Dad started on a Lee progressive press years ago, and then decided to go to Dillon. I still load on his old 550 from over 30 years ago. I have a LEE APP press that I use for processing brass. It works, but definitely not built like something from Dillon, Hornady, or RCBS.

I have a 650 with heads for 223, 380, 9, 40, 45, & 357 including the powder feeds. Changing out the cartridge plate, case feeds and primer *might* take me 20 minutes on a slow day. Then everything is set to rock-and-roll.
I have a spare die head, and even though I have everything for 44 mag conversion for the 650, I didn't use it for that because loading 200 cartridges on the lyman turret doesn't take me that much longer. It'd take me a year or two to shoot that many.
Gotta say tho', the Dillon carbide pistol dies are the cat's meow.
In your case, if I had to choose between investing in a conversion set for the 44 mag or a new press, I'd stay with the 650. Buying powder hoppers when they came available in the classifieds, or were on sale at a LGS made it soo much easier.

Lee makes the best stuff in the world. Get the Classic, 4-hole cast iron auto advancing turret press.
I will, kindly, dissent.
Full disclosure.....I have three or four Lee Pro 1000's, several (three or four?) Lee Auto Advance turrets(three-hole), a Lee Single stage C-press, and a cast iron RCBS O-type single stage press. Whew!
I very much "Lee" reload...very much. Lee.
The problem with the Pro 1k is fiddly, you do NOT, WILL NOT, want to change over when you get it running.
The problem with the turret....three pulls per loaded round.
The turret makes EXCELLENT ammo, the progressive merely great.
I use the single stage for 45 WinMag.
I would use a turret for 44 mag, unless you reeeeaaaallllyyy want a Bunch, then prolly look to aasbra for what deal he can make you.
Oh, except for a couple orphans, my dies are Lee, as are my molds, and pretty much anything I can find at Titan Reloading.

Joe

It's apparent many are passionate about the presses they've worked with. I started with a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker, the moved to a Lee 4-hole Turret Press. I considered a Progressive Press, but I was working at the time and didn't have the fiddle-time.

For those that have said Lee is not "as good" as other presses, I have not found Lee to be sub-par. I used my Lee Turret Press as both a turret press and as a single stage. I've got 10 4-hole turrets for the calibers I reload. I leave the dies in each turret stored in containers with desiccant and a foam pad. It takes me 30 seconds to swap calibers and a few minutes to make final adjustments before starting.

I've added an electronic powder dispenser for consistent loads, and I can quickly adjust the powder load and swap and calibrate powders in under 3 minutes.

I'm not a production ammo outfit. I touch each piece of brass, check each case neck and base, manually prime each case, check each load on a loading tray, and load each projectile, especially for my hunting loads.

I'm not a Lee snob at all, I use what works for me and make adjustments with new equipment along the way; Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Frankford Arsenal are brands I've included as tools where appropriate.

Last Edited:
I will, kindly, dissent.
Full disclosure.....I have three or four Lee Pro 1000's, several (three or four?) Lee Auto Advance turrets(three-hole), a Lee Single stage C-press, and a cast iron RCBS O-type single stage press. Whew!
I very much "Lee" reload...very much. Lee.
The problem with the Pro 1k is fiddly, you do NOT, WILL NOT, want to change over when you get it running.
The problem with the turret....three pulls per loaded round.
The turret makes EXCELLENT ammo, the progressive merely great.
I use the single stage for 45 WinMag.
I would use a turret for 44 mag, unless you reeeeaaaallllyyy want a Bunch, then prolly look to aasbra for what deal he can make you.
Oh, except for a couple orphans, my dies are Lee, as are my molds, and pretty much anything I can find at Titan Reloading.

Joe
Any other "turret" takes three pulls per loaded round but also necessitates removing and then replacing the brass that many times and or manually advancing the dies, exactly like a single stage press. Only the Lee auto-advances the tool head holding the dies with every ram stroke (or not.. one can disable that feature in two seconds).
Also, only the Lee is an O type press.. all other "turret" presses are much inferior "C" type presses with their associated oblique springiness.
For anyone wanting a new press most people wisely recommend the Lee Classic Turret or their cast iron single stage presses.

Does Lee make a reliable press and if so, which one? Thanks.
I have a Lee breach lock pro. It resembles the classic turret, is very Stout, and has served me very well. Without all the case feeders and bullet feeders and whatnot it reloads about like a Dylan 550 except that it Auto advances. I make around 3000 rounds a year on it. I haven't had one issue. It's very cost-effective. The quality of my ammo is excellent. It's got plenty of Leverage for a 44 Mag and it's faster than the turret obviously. I've had it for about 5 years now with nary an issue.

Get a Lee load master progressive press. For the money you can't beat them. Don't waste your money on the Lee 1000. I have two Lee load masters and have loaded literally thousands of rounds with them over the last 15 years. You will have to fidget with them every now and then but still a solid press at 1/3rd the pri e of a Dillon.

I sold everything LEE years ago and now have 3 Dillons. I completely agree that you should get a square deal B setup in 44mag, or just buy the one in the classifieds in 45acp and convert to 44mag. I have 2 of them. One in large primer and one small primer. They are by far the easiest progressive I've used. I also have a 650 but it does take tweaking and is more complex.

Long story short, get a Square Deal B.

I have owned and used most brands of reloading tools. Lee makes bargain tools that make good loads. But as you pay more you get tools that take less user input.
One of my first lee presses was a turret that was much faster than a single stage, did not take a lot of user input. But its like your turret press in that you get one complete round for every 3 or 4 pulls of the handle.

When you jump to progressive you are asking the tool to do 4 processes at once. Dillon has been the easiest to work once it is setup properly. But I have successfully gotten Lee tools to do their jobs. The secrete for me has been priming the cases off the press. If I start with primed cases I can make any of them run! DR

I load lots of 44MAG on my Hornady LNL AP.
I like the larger diameter shell plate, it's easier to see what's going on (vs my RCBS).
My printed shell feeder works good with 44mag cases as well.

20230516_210603.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top