JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alrighty then. I, or rather the side company I formed, is now 01FFL licensed. Everything Federally is all done. We're signed up on OSP's FICS site. And all the other local, state, and federal paperwork, fees, filings, and assorted bullplop is done.

Well, except one lingering question. And that concerns the Oregon form "Register of Transfer of Used Firearm". I messaged my contact at ATF about this and he deferred me to the State of Oregon, who I dutiful messaged. The bureaucrat at the state level referred me back to the ATF. Considering I'm inquiring about a state-level law (ORS 166.427), said referral is idiotic, but decades of dealing with regulatory compliance in the financial world has steeled me to such a response. When I'm, how do I put this, markedly less annoyed at the latest governmental antics, I am going to reply to this missive with a series of questions, and naturally employing all due diplomacy.

Until then, as I know there are many FFLs on this fine board, I'll throw this out there:

• What, exactly, scenario is this form completed, in duplicate, and filed with the local LEO?
  • If I'm dealing with a used firearm that is coming from another FFL to me (an FFL) and then out to another FFL, I am assuming this form must still be filled out. If I am incorrect in this analysis, I would be grateful for correction.
  • Are there any other state-level paperwork requirements, beyond FICS and fingerprinting, that I should be aware of?
Thanks much!

The form is used when you purchase or take a trade in of a used firearm. The second copy of the form is dropped off or mailed to your local LEO agency at the end of business EACH DAY!

Highly recommend you perform a "gun check" on the OSP FICS site prior to purchasing a firearm or taking a firearm on trade from a private party. I would also recommend a gun check on any used firearm arriving from another FFL like in the case of an FFL transfer purchased through Gunbroker etc.. Most other states do not run serial numbers (nor are they required to by their state laws) to check for stolen. Very embarrassing to run a background check for a prospective buyer and OSP says they are on the way to pick up the gun you are transferring because it has been reported stolen in another state...

Register of transfer of used firearm form is not used when you receive a firearm from another FFL/Distributor/Manufacturer.

Funny how most state officials you ask about this refer you back to ATF. ATF has nothing to do with this form it is an Oregon State requirement. ATF just wants to ensure that you (as an FFL) are following all the federal AND state rules and regulations.

Link to form and fairly vague but simple instructions. ORS number is on form for further review if needed.

https://www.oregon.gov/osp/ID/docs/FILLABLE Register of Transfer of Used Firearm Form.pdf

@Greenbug, thank you so much! That confirms my understanding of the process. It is bizarre that the OSP gal referred me to ATF, when I specifically asked about a state-level form that is right there on OSP's site and cites Oregon, not Federal, law.

I do have some quick follow ups for you:

• I am assuming local LEO would be the city police in the town in which I have my office. Yes? If so, that would be handy, because they are about a five minute walk from there.
  • I figured that if it came form another FFL, that it would not get filed. Do you have a link to instructions that contain that information? By asking that, I don't in any way, shape, or form doubt what you said. I'd just like to have it in my records in case anyone hassles me about it.
  • I am planning on moving a very small number (like two) of my own private collection to the FFL and selling them off. Though it is me transferring to the business identity, I assume I still file this form. Yes?
  • Other than the fingerprints and this form are there any other state-level filing, reporting, or record keeping requirements I should be aware of?
Thanks again. Much appreciated. :)

ORS 166.427 - Register of transfers of used firearms - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

This link may help @CountryGent

I was told by ATF many years ago that the local LEO who would respond to your place of business if you called 911 is who you should file the register of transfer of used firearms form with, as well as multiple handgun sales forms (ATF form 3310.4).

I don't haver any link or official information about not having to fill out the register of transfer of used firearms if coming from an FFL, might be something to check in with the state of Oregon about. I don't feel the need to open that can of worms however. I don't see anything in the ORS statute outlining that specifically. You might be able to consult the current Oregon code book that should have been issued to you along with your business license and or FFL.

As far as using the form when transferring guns from your private collection to your FFL I would say yes, since you are transferring a used firearm in the eyes of the state. One copy to the local LEO and one copy stays in the book of carbon copy forms, keep the carbon copy forms bound in the book for convenience. Start a new book when you use up the current book and file the used book with your records.

I am not aware of any other Oregon state forms required for the business purposes of non pawnbroker FFL's.

Fairly common for gun shops in Oregon to be unaware of the register of transfer of used firearms, you are a step ahead of many out there.

Best wishes!

@Greenbug, thank you so much for all the information and advice. I am very grateful for the assistance. :)

P.S. I didn't receive a state level guide book with the FFL. I requested one entitled State Laws and Published Ordinances—Firearms from the ATF and received a form letter saying they were out of stock and it is back-ordered. Hopefully that will come in soon.

@Greenbug, thank you so much for all the information and advice. I am very grateful for the assistance. :)

P.S. I didn't receive a state level guide book with the FFL. I requested one entitled State Laws and Published Ordinances—Firearms from the ATF and received a form letter saying they were out of stock and it is back-ordered. Hopefully that will come in soon.

That is the one that should cover all the questions you have regarding the Oregon laws. Sorry couldn't remember the title of the book last night.:confused:

If I ever get down in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to stop by and say hello. What is the name of your shop and where is it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top