JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have a short attention span, you may stop reading now. It's okay.

I've always been a pretty good record keeper when it comes to firearms. It's of benefit for a number of reasons, some of which are obvious. I've been doing it since Day One in 1965 when I bought my first gun. For years, it was all on paper. We didn't have electronic means to do it. In a couple of other posts, I've mentioned that over the decades, I've owned hundreds of guns. A famous line from an old TV show was, "No brag, just fact." But I couldn't say with accuracy exactly how many. Lately, I've decided to clean up these records. Not that there is much point in doing it, but when you get old and have time on your hands, sometimes a project like this comes along that is a way to utilize some of that time.

There have been times I've wanted to go back and take a look at this or that gun that I've owned for historical reference. Or in connection with online posts. My folder of records got very fat for the first few decades. Then personal computers came along. I have set up and managed offices before; a typewriter and a filing cabinet and a system of organization and it's done. But I've never been trained to set up a modern office that uses electronic means of storing documents. My first effort was to store and file photos. So I set up files on individual guns for that. Then Iearned how to use Microsoft Word, and I used that to record transaction data. Which I then merged with the picture files so they are in one folder per gun. On my PC and backed up on a flash drive. It's a system that works well enough for me and I've done it that way for about 20 years. The folder of paperwork stopped getting fat after that. But it was more difficult to access the paper back files. Plus, I had gotten sloppy and let them get out of the order they were in, which wasn't ideal. I'd file the docs by date sold, not by date purchased. Which was a natural avenue to random sort.

My project now is to get all the paper documents listed on an Excell document, with particulars on each and cost data. I'm not including information on who and where, because in the rare cases where that might be desired, I can go back and look it up on the paper document. Which will be filed and maintained in an order that makes sense and is easy to access. The list (and the files) will be in chronological order by date of purchase.

This is a time and labor intensive project. I started on 1965, and I'm up to the end of 1973 and already I have 90 line items. In my mind, I may be missing two or three that I didn't properly record and I will try to track those down. But I'm on to 1974 this evening. Once I have all the back files reorganized and on an Excell document, I will still be using two systems. The updated paper records, and the electronic records that I currently use. Some day I may find a practical way to merge them. But for now, to add another 20 years of stuff onto the Excell document is a project that wll have to wait.

We've had a thread here not so long ago re. guns we have sold and later bought back. At the time, I could only recall one that I'd done that with. However, after reviewing my activities in the earliest years, a few more have come to my attention. I was a youthful enthusiast at the time and a few guns changed hands back and forth with pals in trades more than once. Some involved rather complex trades including the use of cash and non-firearm items.

I'll let you know how this comes out.

I started a record system (less detailed than yours) a few years ago. I use my email account to draft a list, complete with dates & serial numbers, and then I save the draft to a Firearms folder. It's always been a fairly short list, less than two dozen items including some air guns. With each new purchase or sale, I update the list and save the draft again. More recently, I started sending a copy to my wife after each update.

As simple as it is, my system takes just enough work to make me hesitate before buying another firearm. That helps avoid bloat from "gottahaveititus".

My youthful pals were mostly hagglers. Maybe that was the result of none of us having all that much money. One time I took a Persian carpet in part trade. Some trades were fairly complex, involving up to a dozen or more items as against a single gun. That makes the bookeeping interesting.

A lot of my early gun purchases were rolled over in fairly short time. But I belabor the obvious when I point out that money involving guns over longer periods of time has to be considered in light of inflationary influences.

Excel will work. However, I went a different direction and used another of the Microsoft Office products called Access, which is a data base. I looked at examples of marketplace firearms software to determine which fields I wanted to tract and then built the database. From there the data is entered and then various reports can be built.

Some of my reports include:

- a numerical list by firearm and totaled value
- a report which mimics my bound book for my C&R firearms
- guns currently owned including make, model, serial number , characteristics, DROS info, etc
- report with potential future marketing comments by firearm
- guns sold by date and purchaser
- etc

Building this type of database is a little time consuming but the end result is worth it.

That reminds me to update my photos. For me its simple, take photos of the firearm, model and serial numbers; KISS. Its mainly for insurance purposes. I rarely sell guns privately most went back to the store but with the current laws all records now go thru an FFL.

Excel will work. However, I went a different direction and used another of the Microsoft Office products called Access, which is a data base. I looked at examples of marketplace firearms software to determine which fields I wanted to tract and then built the database. From there the data is entered and then various reports can be built.

Some of my reports include:

- a numerical list by firearm and totaled value
- a report which mimics my bound book for my C&R firearms
- guns currently owned including make, model, serial number , characteristics, DROS info, etc
- report with potential future marketing comments by firearm
- guns sold by date and purchaser
- etc

Building this type of database is a little time consuming but the end result is worth it.
I like all this. But I struggle with formats and I was fortunate to have some help with Excell a while back from my son. First, I had him set up an Exell page that I could use to compute spread values for my chrono. Then I had him set up some simple pages for keeping inventory on reloading components. I had a page for bullets, a page for primers, and a page for powder. I still have those but since have divested of much of my reloading stuff.

2. I got married. Everyone knows if you want a woman to stop having sex with you, put a ring on her finger.
I never had that problem with Mrs. Merkt. But I did note a distinct pattern on my firearms purchasing trends. Very slow action the first year of our marriage. Then the gun stuff perked up a while for a couple of years. Then when we started having children, it dropped off a cliff for about three years. Then there was a huge, two year burst from pent-up interest in guns. Tonight I completed 1985, and there were 31 gun transactions that year.

That reminds me to update my photos. For me its simple, take photos of the firearm, model and serial numbers; KISS. Its mainly for insurance purposes. I rarely sell guns privately most went back to the store but with the current laws all records now go thru an FFL.
Simple ain't a bad thing. For insurance purposes, what you have is all you really need. With laws such as they are now, the FFL dealer's records are your boiler plate.

All my stuff is on a word format and backed up on a separate 150gig hard drive along with other private info, kept unplugged till I need it each time or up date it, plus, I also keep the gun info and a little other info like pin numbers and pass words on a flash drive for quicker access and portability.
Essentially I write in all pertinent info I want to keep in a sequentially numbered running paragraphs for each such as info on the gun, when bought how much, family history if applies, etc.
I then paste in a picture below. most paragraphs don't exceed two or three lines of info.
#2 the same for the next gun, #3 etc.
As the gun matures, I'll add changes to it like scope or mods added along with price, but add them, and not erase any previous info.
When I sell the gun I apply the info on that, who to, price received or trade made then I highlight everything I had written about the gun and change them to red color so I instantly know scrolling through that gun has been sold.

Each time a gun is sold or any info added, (Edits done on the flash drive) I copy the entire document (now many many pages long) and paste it into the hard drive to complete the archive update.
I find this a better option (for me) to scroll through a single document with many pages, mostly chronologically ordered, than hundreds of individual folders mostly now sold. (i.e. the first gun bought first, the last one last)

I find this a better option (for me) to scroll through a single document with many pages, mostly chronologically ordered, than hundreds of individual folders mostly now sold. (i.e. the first gun bought first, the last one last)
I like your process. One thing, quantities of guns over the years might make for a mighty long Word document. It works for you now, might get very long. I have word documents for all of the guns that I have "transacted" for the past 20 years or so, and it's a lot of pages, esp. with pics thrown in.

Today, I got up to the end of 1989. I'm at line item number 208.

In sorting through the paper docs, I've broken them down by decades. Then I sort them into piles by years. Then I organize them chronologically within the year, then enter on the Excell doc. Already I've found some forgetlets from prior years.

Trades. Which I never consider doing now, and haven't for years. Trades are for kids and people who live in Alaska. BUT: Some of my past trading has been fairly complex, as previously stated. Even with my notes, sometimes it takes a while to figure them out. For the dollars and cents, I have to apportion amounts for objects involved. Just part of the pointless exercise.

I'm "only" up to 1989, but I'm surprised how many 1903's and 03A3's that have passed through my hands. Also Smith & Wesson Victory and .38/200 models. I didn't remember many of them until I started this project. And lots of Mauser 98's.

I haven't got the skills nor patience to do a spreadsheet and such, too much computer work.
I hand write all data on a form that I've had for a while made a dozen copies so if I need to ad an entry. This is the master copy.
KISS
What can I say, I'm a caveman.
Come On EMP!!!

3441EF62-D5AC-4C90-B1CF-ED74E279767E.jpeg

When I was in my yooth, I wrote a DBase application to keep track of all my sports cards.

God that was a colossal waste of not getting laid.
At least it was the app that was a waste, not your collection. I got the same effect without even organizing my collection of ham radio QSL cards . . . total chick repellent. At least I kept telling myself, "It's the cards, Gary; couldn't be anything but the cards."

I like your process. One thing, quantities of guns over the years might make for a mighty long Word document. It works for you now, might get very long. I have word documents for all of the guns that I have "transacted" for the past 20 years or so, and it's a lot of pages, esp. with pics thrown in.
"might get very long"

This is true, especially if you keep a lot of data. Most my firearms listed contain (besides the picture) no more than three or four lines of info. I guess one could always folder them by decades.
Though for me, I do not process info into them very often so when I do I'm in no hurry and perusing the pages with pictures by just scrolling is a pleasant walk down memory lane. A much welcomed and in some sense needed reverie in my land of useta's if you will.
I admit it is not an efficient form of record keeping .. Still, an effective way to view one of life's passion en mas.
My gun buying and selling days are nearly at an end, split between age issues and mostly Oregon's lack of constitutional respect so my records are not likely to grow much larger.

"might get very long"

This is true, especially if you keep a lot of data. Most my firearms listed contain (besides the picture) no more than three or four lines of info. I guess one could always folder them by decades.
Though for me, I do not process info into them very often so when I do I'm in no hurry and perusing the pages with pictures by just scrolling is a pleasant walk down memory lane. A much welcomed and in some sense needed reverie in my land of useta's if you will.
I admit it is not an efficient form of record keeping .. Still, an effective way to view one of life's passion en mas.
My gun buying and selling days are nearly at an end, split between age issues and mostly Oregon's lack of constitutional respect so my records are not likely to grow much larger.
Yes, the above describes my situation pretty closely.

too much computer work.
You got that right. I'm taking a day off today after having gotten up to year 2004 last night. I see a lot of "Yellow" in my future. That is, Cabela's invoices.

My impressions of yesterday are a lot of Winchesters and Smith & Wessons. I'm also seeing a lot of backsliding on record keeping in the 1990's and early 2000's. Up to about the time I started doing it on the PC. Even after I went to keeping records electronically, there was a lot of paper from transactions. Some of which I should probably match up with early efforts in the PC when I wasn't scanning stuff to include in individual firearm folders.

There was a time in the early 2000's when I was buying many inexpensive "Milsurps." Remember those? They were an opportunity to get some interesting guns for not very much money. In my case, Austrian Steyrs, various Mosin Nagants, Yugo Mausers, etc., etc. Due to their relatively low prices, I may not have been completely devout in recording data for them.

Until I-594 came along in Washington, we were not required to keep information on whom we sold a firearm to privately. For reasons of liability, even before I-594 came along, I started to be apprehensive about selling a handgun that had "paper" on it to me. So I'd either make sure I got the buyer's name and address, or later, I started selling handguns on consignment through a dealer. Even if it meant giving up some money for commission. After I-594, I could sell them privately but through an FFL dealer, which eliminated the angle on payment of commission. It only involved a modest fee.

So we may not like what I-594 brought along, but it eliminated some risk in private sales of handguns. Such as making sure the buyer wasn't a convicted felon.

I'm thinking a big chunk of risk may be coming back if the state legislature passes a bill re. attachment of civil liability onto firearm dealers.

One effect of I-594. It put the brakes on frivolous gun purchases, such as I made for decades. A lot of the guns I bought were purchased because I could. Gun shows in particular were enabling events. Which also due to I-594 for all intents and purposes have been strangled.

Back to the part about keeping a record of the buyer. Which isn't really necessary now that private sales go through FFL dealers. Those official records suffice for any agency that may come along asking. As to old sales, there is a 60 month time horizon on the statute of limitations for federal firearms transaction offenses. So if you accidentally sold a handgun to an out of state resident in 1990, you can forget sweating that one out. I believe in Wash. state the statute of limitations for firearms transactions of a felonious nature are three years and gross misdemeanors are two years. But I'm not a lawyer.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews