JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this, so please forgive my inexperience! I purchased a handgun through Capella in Rogers, MN in 2020, and need a copy of my purchase. Cabella's says they only keep their gun sales records for one year, but everything I've read thus far, says in Minnesota, retailers are required to keep records for ten years?
Also, generally, when you purchase a firearm, you fill out a 4473 form. Does that form contain the details of my gun; kind, serial number etc. when it's filed? and, is it possible to get a copy of it from Cabella's, ATF, or through NTC? If so, what's the procedure?

Howdy, welcome to the forum.
I suggest you retain a local MN attorney, who could answer your questions and pursue your request with Cabela's.
Edit to add, you can download a Form 4473 yourself to see what information is required before submitting.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this, so please forgive my inexperience! I purchased a handgun through Capella in Rogers, MN in 2020, and need a copy of my purchase. Cabella's says they only keep their gun sales records for one year, but everything I've read thus far, says in Minnesota, retailers are required to keep records for ten years?
Also, generally, when you purchase a firearm, you fill out a 4473 form. Does that form contain the details of my gun; kind, serial number etc. when it's filed? and, is it possible to get a copy of it from Cabella's, ATF, or through NTC? If so, what's the procedure?
Yes the 4473 will have the gun info on it. Cabela's likely doesn't want to go through the effort of looking it up. If ATF calls them for a trace, they will oblige. Did you lose a gun?

Isn't the ATF supposedly not allowed to keep records unless the FFL goes out of business? There is a federal law which prevents agencies from creating a registry but very likely have created one. I suggest putting pressure on Cabela's. They are suppose to keep records for twenty years for transfers.

Yes the 4473 will have the gun info on it. Cabela's likely doesn't want to go through the effort of looking it up. If ATF calls them for a trace, they will oblige. Did you lose a gun?
Thank you for your response! It was at my daughters and her boyfriend who "was" living with her, took it when he moved out. The police were there, and told us that I have to go after him in civil court, because he said it was his. So I have to prove it's mine (Cabela's) and they said they only keep records for a year…

Isn't the ATF supposedly not allowed to keep records unless the FFL goes out of business? There is a federal law which prevents agencies from creating a registry but very likely have created one. I suggest putting pressure on Cabela's. They are suppose to keep records for twenty years for transfers.
If the ATF has the records only if a business goes out of business, where do they get them?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews