JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stay away from Taurus or other off brands IMO.

Stay away from Taurus! Unless you plan to shoot just .45 Colt, its a waist of time and effort.

Someone's stuck in the 90's with their thinking. Taurus handguns have been in my safe for almost 20 years now, and have ALWAYS served me well. The Taurus 605 I carry daily has had years of use, and abuse, and never once failed me. And for $299, a steel 5-shot with an exposed hammer is tough to beat.

so do you want a second CC gun to carry on your person as a back-up to a primary CC, or a replacement to a semi-auto?
either way a small DA revolver/derringer strapped to the inside of your left ankle is the way to go

Someone's stuck in the 90's with their thinking. Taurus handguns have been in my safe for almost 20 years now, and have ALWAYS served me well. The Taurus 605 I carry daily has had years of use, and abuse, and never once failed me. And for $299, a steel 5-shot with an exposed hammer is tough to beat.

Well it was 2014 when I bought a Taurus that was sent back for repairs and returned.

The gun was nowhere near as nice as any Ruger, Smith or Colt I've ever held.

Some of them look cool and I'm sure there are lemons at every company. Giving advice though, unless the question is where can I get a decent revolver for very cheap, I would not recommend Taurus for anything other then plinking.

Maybe I am stuck in a 90's mentality but a "new" gun from 2 year ago is what I based my comment/opinion on.

2 years 10 years,I'm not a Taurus fan either. Out of the maybe 5 I have owned,1 was worth keeping but only lasted a month before o traded it off.
It was the first one that was anywhere near a S&W for quality. It was very accurate too.
But my prejudice took over and it went by by

For me it was the Judge series, and I had nothing but trouble with them! I really wanted the Circuit Judge to run, I thought it would have been a neat little carbine Running .45 Colt was about it, if you ran 410 shotshells, it was all over the place and uncontrollable! I had tried a pistol before then, and I found the quality lacking!

Well it was 2014 when I bought a Taurus that was sent back for repairs and returned.

The gun was nowhere near as nice as any Ruger, Smith or Colt I've ever held.

Some of them look cool and I'm sure there are lemons at every company. Giving advice though, unless the question is where can I get a decent revolver for very cheap, I would not recommend Taurus for anything other then plinking.

Maybe I am stuck in a 90's mentality but a "new" gun from 2 year ago is what I based my comment/opinion on.

One example is an anecdote. The dozen I've had show more of a trend.

One example is an anecdote. The dozen I've had show more of a trend.

Like em all you want man. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Any company with a lifetime warranty can't be all that bad in the end. I'll stick with my original opinion until I see it otherwise for myself and please, excuse me ignoring your word for it. It's nothing personal.

Rather than bash the crappy guns (imho), I would reccomend a smith and wesson model 10 round butt with a 1 7/8 inch barrel. As durable a gun as was ever made. 6 shots are probably enough to get you out of trouble. Most gunfights are essentially over in th first few shots. 357s in a short barreled gun are a waste most of your powder is burned outside the gun. The heft of an all steel gun helps with recoil. Heck most of us are more than a few pounds overweight, and yet complain about the extra ounces of a steel gun! Sissies!

38s have killed a lot of people in the past, it's still a viable defensive round. Until we evolve carbon fiber bones and Kevlar skin I suppose it will still work. BTW Igor and I are in the laboratory working on it.

Last Edited:
Heck most of us are more than a few pounds overweight, and yet complain about the extra ounces of a steel gun! Sissies!

Carrying extra weight in our bodies is a lot easier than carrying the same amount of weight on a gun belt, especially when you have "flat butt syndrome". :eek:

Carrying extra weight in our bodies is a lot easier than carrying the same amount of weight on a gun belt, especially when you have "flat butt syndrome". :eek:
aha........the dreaded flat butt! Sure makes a belt hard to use, combined with strait hips, and every thing falls off! Suspenders suck, but it's the last resort!

Like em all you want man. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Any company with a lifetime warranty can't be all that bad in the end. I'll stick with my original opinion until I see it otherwise for myself and please, excuse me ignoring your word for it. It's nothing personal.

I am with Joe, I have always gone with a Smith. Have owned many over the years. If I want a revolver that looks like a Smith it will say S&W on the side (and be a pre lock as well).

One thing that has not been touched on, firing a .357 out of a short barrel really comes into its own with heavy bullets. My current fodder is pushing a 180 gr projectile out of a short barrel (not recommended for J frames).

A .38S or 9mm is generally believed to be the min. caliber for SD. Ok...disagree if you like. But there, I said it.

So, if I had to go with a revolver for CCW. It would be a S&W M60. You can get them in .357 Mag or .38S. But, the recoil with even +P .38S is stout. And, the .357 Mag version generally costs more. So, a regular .38S will do. And, if you don't like the hammer....there are other S&W J frame revolvers to choose from. As for the lightweight frames....well, it's up to you. Just remember.....recoil, is a fact of life.

Or.....

Go with one of those new Micro 9mms. Humm.....yup, I've switched to a Diamond Back 9mm for CCW. I've never owned a Ruger LCP in 9mm but, I could cozy up to one if I had to.

Finally............Practice, practice, and practice some more.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews