JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's the one I carry, too. Not just another pretty face for sure, but a classic, and the model many pros have chosen for decades. This is an expert's gun.

Also not real fun to shoot for long periods, but if you can master the alloy J-frame 2" you can pretty much shoot anything well. :s0105:
View attachment 293140

Yeah I love mine. Unfortunately it's not +P. Its from the 80s, it's actually a model 38 not 638. My father gave it to me. Super light. Easy to conceal.

20160516_194156.jpg

We sold lots of snub nose and then resold them cause they are uncomfortable to shoot.
I would suggest going to some place you can shoot a few or ask friends with small revolvers if you can shoot theirs.
I like the small revolvers but a 4in is so nice to shoot. And not that bad to carry.
I'm prejudice against most any revolver but S&W, Ruger or Colt.(not talking those like Freedom arms)
I would stick to the all metal guns and not a lcr
357 also.

My experience is limited to short barreled S&W and Ruger revolvers in .38 Special, .38 Special +P, and .357 magnum revolvers. These have been in hammerless, bobbed hammer, shrouded hammer, and exposed hammer models.

For the most part I carried them as concealed back up weapons.

"I would suggest going to some place you can shoot a few or ask friends with small revolvers if you can shoot theirs." I think mjbskwim is spot on.

Whichever you choose I think that you would be better off with an exposed hammer model because they are much easier to retain plus you have additional carry options should you choose to employ them.

I would choose a .38 Special +P. I carried my spare ammo in Speed Strips.

My experience is limited to short barreled S&W and Ruger revolvers in .38 Special, .38 Special +P, and .357 magnum revolvers. These have been in hammerless, bobbed hammer, shrouded hammer, and exposed hammer models.

For the most part I carried them as concealed back up weapons.

"I would suggest going to some place you can shoot a few or ask friends with small revolvers if you can shoot theirs." I think mjbskwim is spot on.

Whichever you choose I think that you would be better off with an exposed hammer model because they are much easier to retain plus you have additional carry options should you choose to employ them.

I would choose a .38 Special +P. I carried my spare ammo in Speed Strips.

The hump back J-frame with the hammer tab is fine.

But a J-frame with the standard horn type hammer is just begging to snag something when it's drawn! ;)

If you train with a regular hammer and practice cocking the hammer as you draw,it would seem to me your first shots would be more accurate.o_O

I own and have owned all types of J-frames.

A well timed hammerless [Internal hammer] will let you pull the trigger and stage it just before the hammer drops. It's a very different feel.

But I don't recommend you shoot a revolver in a defensive situation that way.
Don't stage the trigger. Or cock it first.

You should practice a long smooth double action pull to fire the gun.
With practice you can be quite accurate. ;)

And no! It has nothing to do with the old ''Premeditated murder'' argument. :s0002:

It's just the best way to take advantage of the guns action.
Do you want to limit your double action feature to single? Like an old SAA colt?
This will cripple your potential in a shootout.

Just train with a double action as a double action!

I grew up watching Grand Dad practicing with his S/W .38 snubby and was amazed at how quick and accurate he was with it. Right before he passed, My Dad put a Ruger LCR in his hand and Grand Dad loved it. Said it was the best thing since sliced bread. He was just as quick and accurate with it as I remember him being! Personally, I love the small hammerless, or bobbed hammer revolvers for a good pocket gun or a back up! A light weight J frame would be about the best thing in my mind!

"But a J-frame with the standard horn type hammer is just begging to snag something when it's drawn!"

And a hammerless revolver that isn't retained in your holster during the fight isn't going to snag on anything….:rolleyes:

View attachment 293811

If what your saying is ''Your gun will fall out if you don't have a hammer''.
Then I could see how that would concern you! :s0140:

Not to worry!

There are many good holsters that can securely hold your gun. Even if it has no hammer.

Ruger LCR in .38+P
Best stock grips of any snubbie on the market.
Best trigger of any snubbie on the market.
The lock is hidden under the grip instead of being a S&W "Hillary hole" behind the cylinder release.
13.5 ounces, hammerless, ideal for carry in a pocket holster.
Dont bother with the .357, the barrel is too short to burn the extra powder anyway and the recoil/muzzle blast is brutal. The .38+P is the optimum caliber for a 2" barrel and is a proven and effective choice for self defense.

Ruger LCR in .38+P
The lock is hidden under the grip instead of being a S&W "Hillary hole" behind the cylinder release.
Dont bother with the .357, the barrel is too short to burn the extra powder anyway and the recoil/muzzle blast is brutal. The .38+P is the optimum caliber for a 2" barrel and is a proven and effective choice for self defense.

I will give you the part about extra muzzle blast.
And I prefer shooting .38 special in J-Frames myself.

But to say a 1-7/8'' barreled J-frame is to short to burn the extra powder of the .357?
That would be disingenuous.

A .357 fired in a 1-7/8'' J-frame. Will still be about 150 to 200 feet per second faster than a .38 of the same weight.

So if your up to the task! [I'm not] Then .357 dose offer better performance. ;)

In this, I see no advantage of going to the .357 mag! In a small snubby, .38 is plenty. For those that wish to use .357 more power to them. For me, a bigger gun in .357 makes more sence then the snubby. The muzzle blast and flash of.357 can be brutal and for night shooting, I recommend something else. Low flash in .38 would be better as long as you don't give up power.

Ruger LCR in .38+P
The 357 lcr is a beefier gun. If I was to buy another one I would buy the 357 model and use 38s

The 357 lcr is a beefier gun. If I was to buy another one I would buy the 357 model and use 38s
That makes sense, if you don't mind the extra size and weight. Most consider size and weight to be two of the most important determining factors when purchasing a pocket pistol.

My concealed carry revolver is a Ruger SP101 2.25". Shoots 357 (not enjoyable) so I prefer 38 + P carry loads. I think heavier handguns are the best for me cuz they soak up recoil and they're much faster for me to get back on target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top