JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been carrying my Glock .40 for about 6 years now. Lately ive been wanting to get another conceal carry pistol. Ive been thinking about a revolver recently. I have some questions.

What is a good caliber you would recommend? .38, .357 or something else?

What pistol do you recommend?

Whats the benifit of having a .38 sp instead of a .357? (Cant you shoot .38 in a .357?)

How do you guys carry extra ammo while conceal carry a recolver? A speed loader?

.38sp can be used in a .357mag but not in reverse.

Tons of people have said good things about the Chiapa rhino.

The Yankee Marshall just switched from a .357 to one chambered in .40s&w I believe.

Something about a .357 round needing a longer barrel to produce full velocity.

Lot of people like the Ruger sp101 5 shot. I think they are .357mag.

Anywho, the rhino is a few hundred more then the Ruger.

Stay away from Taurus or other off brands IMO.

I'm sure there are good s&w out there but the tend to be a little more then the rugers and I'm not familiar enough with the different models to say anything about them.

Stay away from Taurus! Unless you plan to shoot just .45 Colt, its a waist of time and effort. A good way to go is the S/W snubby in .38 ( the ol Saturday Night Special) or the Ruger LCR in .38 .357 is not really going to help unless you go with a longer barrel! There are other options, but these are the most prolific. Speed loaders are your friend and with practice, can be pretty fast.

Stay away from Taurus! Unless you plan to shoot just .45 Colt, its a waist of time and effort. A good way to go is the S/W snubby in .38 ( the ol Saturday Night Special) or the Ruger LCR in .38 .357 is not really going to help unless you go with a longer barrel! There are other options, but these are the most prolific. Speed loaders are your friend and with practice, can be pretty fast.
Hold on there. Taurus makes a fine little pocket pistol in 454:p

IMG_0448_zpshhhmn5yb.jpg

I personally carry a 4" .40S&W Chiappa Rhino (due to not wanting to rupture another eardrum shooting .357mag)...but, the Ruger LCR/LCRx 40rhino.jpg has to be one of the best carry revolvers on the market if you want something more affordable and more traditional.

IMG_20160515_162258.jpg
LCRx.jpg ruger9mm.jpg

The LCR has a great trigger and is available in 9mm. If weight isn't an issue for you it's hard to go wrong with the SP101. I also like S&W 642 in .38.
I would go with the LCR in 9mm for CC.

43C 8-shot with .22 Stingers ;-) I know.. I know.. Just consider that light weight is conducive to frequent carry, and all 38 snubbies kick. Not fun to shoot. Alternatively, a SP101 with .38 rounds, that is pretty comfy shooting, but the weight gets to you at some point.

Titanium cylinder/ Scandium frame .38 Special, Pre lock, J-frame S&W. If you can find one.
[Man that was a lot........... I need to take a breath or two after spittin all that out!] :s0077:

I'm glad it's not pre-MIM. I would have had to say that too. :s0140:

At 11 ounces it's light.
But you better have tough hands! :D

Last Edited:
I carried a blued S&W Model 36 Chief's Special .38 for years before I went to an Officer size 1911 9mm. You can buy a used Model 36 for around $350 and maybe even less. I sent mine to Impact Guns in Utah & had Terry ('smith) do a trigger job for $75.

*Model 36 = 19.5 oz & MSRP is $749
*Airweight Model 637 is 15 oz & MSRP is $469
Model 60 is a SS .357 version of a 36 at 22.5 oz & MSRP is $729
All of them handle +P .38's.
Why there's such a difference in MSRP is beyond me but Bud's Gun Shop is a good place to get an idea of real world prices.

* I own both but the 637 is unfired.

Smith and Wesson model 638. 38 special +P
I like the hidden hammer and still have SA/DA abilities

That's the one I carry, too. Not just another pretty face for sure, but a classic, and the model many pros have chosen for decades. This is an expert's gun.

Also not real fun to shoot for long periods, but if you can master the alloy J-frame 2" you can pretty much shoot anything well. :s0105:
Beauty.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top