JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The LCR has a great trigger and is available in 9mm. If weight isn't an issue for you it's hard to go wrong with the SP101. I also like S&W 642 in .38.
I would go with the LCR in 9mm for CC.
Be aware that shooting cheap 9mm in the LCR can result in a bullet jumping the crimp.
I found this out shooting blazer brass when a bullet fell out of the cylinder followed by a shower of gun powder

Quite a lot of wisdom expressed here. I have to agree that 38 special snub nose revolvers come with a learning curve, and require practice in order to become proficient. I am not convinced +P ammo is necessary for self defense...placement is key, and as others have already stated, many folks have fallen due to being hit with a 38. Nice to see so many wheel gun fans, btw!

Be aware that shooting cheap 9mm in the LCR can result in a bullet jumping the crimp.
I found this out shooting blazer brass when a bullet fell out of the cylinder followed by a shower of gun powder

Was this a "fluke" kind of thing? I'm not a wheel gun man but have long recommended the LCR to those who ask. The ones I have handled felt good. I always thought the 9mm would make far more sense in a small wheel gun. Have you tried some more of the Blazer ammo to see? I "hope" maybe it was just a round that slipped through. If not someone would not want to buy one of these in 9mm. Can't have something like that happen when you need it.

I love the feel and weight of my LCR but I couldn't hit paper at 50 feet with it which is what I'm aloud to shoot at at my range. I shoot the sp101 well. Much heavier though. I would like to try a 442 but just don't got the money. Also I never carried 357 in mine I know a 38+p will drop a person just as good.

While shooting my LCR 9mm using blazer ammo I had a round jump crimp and prevent the cylinder from rotating, so be aware you need ammo with a strong crimp. Anything 124 grain or lighter shoots very low in mine. Critical duty shot better but 147 grain Winchester HP printed beat, but will it expand from such a short barrel? Idk.

I have had a Taurus 605 for a dozen years, I do not shoot it much anymore, but it has been reliable and accurate, I usually shoot 10 rounds of 38 and 5 of 357 when I do shoot, it has never been a 'fun' shooter, but I don't mind recommending it based on my experience with it.
I have three Charter Arms Pitbull's in 9MM, 40S&W, and 45 ACP. The 45 is too strong for my wimpy rear. The 40 snappier, but I like it and the 9 is mild. I suppose the above post about being careful which ammo you use in a 9 MM LCR would apply to these three too. They are all pretty big framed. I use Pachmayr Grips on all three, the factory grip being a little skinny for me. Not good guns in a fight when it comes to reloading with a speed loader as the little retainers that retain the rounds in lieu of moon clips. I use speed strips, but they are not all that speedy due to the same retainers. I can't recommend the Pitbull series for concealed carry for that reason. Good guns other wise,
Also if you are to use Premium Ammunition in a 9 MM LCR you can carry your spare loaded moon clips and have a practical speed loader in them.
So now I do have a S&W 637 38 +P five shooter with a bobbed hanger, pretty good gun, sits in my pickup. My other J-frame is a 351PD and is a seven shot 22 Magnum. I trust this gun and often "Home carry" with it, but rarely farther than the mailbox. Lethal though. If it is to be a new S&W gun then I would want a Performance Center version myself.
I really only carry a LCR and only with colder weather clothing, when outer clothes might hinder me from quickly reaching my EDC Glock-33. I have LCR's in 22LR. 38 and my favored 327 Federal Magnum. The 22 is a eight shot soft shooting and easy to handle gun, I replaced the Hogue Tamer grip with a Hogue Piranha grip which is solid and you can get all or your hand on it. It is one of the Warden's nightstand guns. I could not recommend a 22 for daily carry, well I have carried that 22 Mag above. I have a 38 LCR with the standard LCR Hogue Tame boot grip. It is a five shooter, I got it as part of a promotion, and remains neglected in my house, never loaded. The one I wanted and the one I do carry is a LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. It is a SIX shooter. I replaced the Hogue Tamer Boot grip with a Hogue Tamer extended grip that you see on the LCR-X. It can accommodate four different calibers, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, and 327 Federal Magnum. 327 Mag round that I have shot (American Eagle 100 grain) were very stout, akin to a 125 Grain 357. I also shot some 'Cowboy Action' loads of 32 H&R Magnum and had to relook at the box to be sure I wasn't shooting 22 LR. Accurate, I carry mine in my outerwear in a Bianchi holster and I have Tuff strips for speed strips in a 'wallet' for reloads (I plan to be in a place of hiding by that time) I did buy the 327 over the 357 just to get that sixth round.
If you are hung up on a exposed hammer (Pun intended) the LCR-X is worth a look. Both the LCR and LCR-X are available with a longer Crimson trace grip, and if you really want to take some advantage of +P ammunition there is a 3" LCR-X

The LCR has a great trigger and is available in 9mm. If weight isn't an issue for you it's hard to go wrong with the SP101. I also like S&W 642 in .38.
I would go with the LCR in 9mm for CC.
I have the 9mm LCR and found you have to be careful to use ammo that holds the bullet in the case. After four shots, the recoil jolts the bullet right out of the case and you end up with gunpowder sprinkling all over the place unless it's revolver friendly ammo.

That's bad news about the 9mm problems. Maybe hit your ammo with a stronger taper crimp? :confused: Or go to a 115 gr bullet or lighter?

I have an SP101 with 4" barrel in .327 Fed Magnum. I'm not super crazy about the gun (it ain't a Smith) but I do like the cartridge a lot. I handload though...

If I were thinking about revolver carry, I'd might go with one of these:
NAA-MMT-C

Yeah, I know single action makes little sense, and .22 Mag ain't so wonderful, and only five shots... I still think it's an awful cool gun. You can even get a tiny laser for it.

Too bad Smith & Wesson no longer makes any .327 Fed Mag guns...

That's bad news about the 9mm problems. Maybe hit your ammo with a stronger taper crimp? :confused: Or go to a 115 gr bullet or lighter?
http://www.mtadamsfishgame.com/9mm-ammo-bullet-creep-in-snubnose-revolver/

I'm researching how different ammo works in my Ruger LCR 9mm. I'm putting the results on this web page. I just ordered some more ammo to test based on a recommendation from Massad Ayoob. I'm really liking this gun and I've found ammo that is reliable, so all is well.

I wonder if you could use revolver bullets (with cannelures), since you don't have to worry about feeding. Maybe have to size 'em down though. Also, I recall reading somewhere about cannelure tools, to make one in a bullet that doesn't have one.

Of course this does not help with cheap manufactured 9mm ammo, which is one of the main reasons to buy a gun like that.

I wonder if you could use revolver bullets (with cannelures), since you don't have to worry about feeding. Maybe have to size 'em down though. Also, I recall reading somewhere about cannelure tools, to make one in a bullet that doesn't have one.

Of course this does not help with cheap manufactured 9mm ammo, which is one of the main reasons to buy a gun like that.

I for a long time always had at least one 5 shot wheel gun in .38. For carry when I was not wanting to carry larger. Long ago let last one go when small autos got so much better but when I had them I often wanted one in 9mm. They were cataloged by a few but rare to see. Better ammo choices for a small shooter like that in 9mm. As long as the good defensive stuff like the stuff made for short barrels works, great. If I had one and wanted cheap practice I would try running some factory ammo through a Lee Factory Crimp die first. See if that stopped the bullet creep. If it works that is a very simple way to solve the problem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top