JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking, and wondering if real world operators (SWAT, Special Forces, ect.) actually still use 1911s? I love 1911s, don't get me wrong, but it seems that in a gun fight, there are better options with way more capacity. I see all the advertisements for railed guns with guys dressed up shooting them, but I doubt they are actual operators. So, do they or don't they? Where are you getting your basis for your answers?

FBI HRT is using Springfield professionals. Many swat teams still use 1911. Marine corps is going back to the 1911. Also many special operations guys that get to pick there load out still carry 1911's into battle. Several of the big firearms schools still preach the 1911 as the fighting handgun to have such as gunsite and thunder ranch

Handgun capacity isn't the biggest concern as most people going into a gunfight bring a carbine.

I've never been in a gun fight, but I think I would prefer an airstrike to any sidearm or long gun that has ever been available, or better yet just not be involved in any gun fight:):D:rolleyes:

I seem to remember reading something a couple years ago about LA swat using Kimber 1911's and I couldn't help but think "A MIMBER??? I was surprised that they didn't go with Colt...................

I love 1911s, but the trigger guard is pretty small and could present issues in certain circumstances. For example, when I hunt I wear a backup pistol, and am sometimes wearing gloves, so I carry something with a slightly larger trigger guard.

And here's what Ken Hackathorn had said regarding his help in assisting HK develop the HK45:

"Ken: We also talked about, most people in the special operations community wear flight gloves. The pistol has to be dimensionally designed so you can shoot it competently with gloves and manipulate it while wearing gloves. So for example, the size of the trigger guard and all the controls had to be designed so that when wearing gloves you would not be struggling to manipulate the gun… drop the slide, decock or engage the safety, drop the mag, it all had to be glove compatible." http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-interview-with-ken-hackathorn-and-larry-vickers

Source: Internet ;)

"On July 20, 2012, the Colt 1911 Rail Gun was selected and won a contract to initially deliver 4,000 pistols forMARSOC and MEU (SOC) forces.[15] The pistol was redesignated the M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistol (CQBP)and up to 12,000 will be delivered.[16] The Colt design is considered an upgrade of the previous pistol, not an entirely new design.[17]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?63992-Marines-re-adopt-the-1911

I can verify this. Granted I was already out when Colt got the new contract, but I have used 1911s that were built by PWS at Quantico and I had a good friend who was stationed at the PWS. In my case, it was optional for each platoon if they wanted to carry 1911s or M9s and our PL hated the M9.

"Real" operators are using all kinds of handguns, but the 1911 style in .45 ACP is not chief among them. Problems reported among them are that parts require fitting with tools that are not available in austere environments, weight and reduced ammunition capacity.

If I was to carry a backup handgun while kicking in doors in bad places, it would be a modern defensive pistol with a micro red dot sight, high ammunition capacity and made of lightweight materials in a caliber that I could easily resupply wherever I was at.

In fact, that sounds familiar. Hmmm..:s0153:

The 'real' guys have tremendous flexibility and can carry pretty much what they want. I have it on good authority that there are a lot of 1911's and a surprising number of G21's and H&K's out there in service.

Edited to add - just spoke to someone on the phone that is in the know here, and he says there are three pistols that are used to qualify for MARSOC; the Beretta M9, the new Colt 1911 .45, and the Glock 17. Now, MARSOC operators can carry whatever they want. He said you'll see SIG's, FN's, and H&K's He said a surprising number of guys carry the full size FN pistol as it comes from the factory with a slide cut for a red dot, and carries 15+1 rounds of .45. They could care less about concealment, just reliability and being able to hit the target. Interesting.....

This one:

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
"Real" operators are using all kinds of handguns, but the 1911 style in .45 ACP is not chief among them. Problems reported among them are that parts require fitting with tools that are not available in austere environments, weight and reduced ammunition capacity.

If I was to carry a backup handgun while kicking in doors in bad places, it would be a modern defensive pistol with a micro red dot sight, high ammunition capacity and made of lightweight materials in a caliber that I could easily resupply wherever I was at.

In fact, that sounds familiar. Hmmm..:s0153:

Sounds like a recipe for a crew served handgun a la Mk23!

A guy I worked at the gun store with was reading an article about how the Marines had catastrophic failures with the Kimbers and chose the Springfield instead.
So my guess is some 'operators' are ,in fact, using 1911s.
The newer 1911s are very accurate and reliable as far as the ones I have had.Easy to use and ,for me,point very natural.
I wouldn't use one for my go to battle gun,because of the 8 round mags. This is even though I shoot them better than most any handgun I have had.
Now If you think about it,the handgun is the back up gun,not their primary weapon,so as back up to an M4,why not?

IMHO, it takes three 9mm shots to equal one .45 auto , so that may imply that 8 rounds of.45 auto
is ,in terms of fire power, equal to 24 rounds of 9mm. I think I'll stick with my 1911 8 round .45.

.......................... Jack

IMHO, it takes three 9mm shots to equal one .45 auto , so that may imply that 8 rounds of.45 auto
is ,in terms of fire power, equal to 24 rounds of 9mm. I think I'll stick with my 1911 8 round .45.

.......................... Jack
Lol. In actual fact the .45, .357 Sig, 9mm and .40 are 1/1.. meaning the same.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top