JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I became acquainted with REAL bullets prior to the inline revolution. Back then, muzzleloaders I encountered were either slow-twist with deep rifling for patches, or the TC-patterned Hawken style, with a compromise twist rate and much shallower rifling. I guess I've always associated them with those two groups.

Has anyone tried them in modern muzzleloaders with a faster twist? How have they performed compared to your pet loads? I haven't slugged my bore yet, but I plan to do so, and then maybe invest in a .50 (.517) Lee mold.

Thanks,
Dirk

A friend had a Navy Arms .50 caliber rifle with a 1-25 twist.
It shoot well with either a patched round ball or Lee .50 bullet.
Load was 65 grains of 2F for both.
Andy
I look forward to trying the Lee .50, I see there's two different weights, I'll probably opt for the shorter one. I want to try patched balls too, just for plinking, but I need thinner patches.

@Dirk
It was the 320 grain bullet she used....the rifle shot it well..but she had a difficult time starting the bullet down the muzzle.
So we played around with round ball....and settled on a .480 ball with .15 patch...if I remember correctly.
Andy

I did some for my TC .58 barrel. I didn't feel like it was engaging the rifling that well, so I poured a "cherry" with a quick-change bit embedded in it, got some valve-grinding compound and tried to expand the mold a bit. It took a long time to get an extra couple of thou, and it didn't help accuracy at all. Still, different caliber, different rifling, I figure its worth a shot.
Your set-up sounds like mine, except I use a propane camp-burner. Hey, it works, right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top