JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a used RCBS Jr. 2 a while back and I'm doing a rustoration. I got the set screw unfrozen that (I am pretty sure) holds the primer cup and spring in place on the arm. I need to find a small primer cup at some point to complete it. But my question today is how do I get the large primer cup off. I know from some research the Jr's were all basically the same, but some primer cups pulled out and some screwed out. This one doesn't seem to want to do either. Is there a trick or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

If you push back the guide collar the lines up the primer, there should be a hole that goes sideways that allows you to unscrew the primer stuffer-inner. If you call RCBS they will usually send you free replacement parts.

In all honesty, I've found the priming arm to be one of the slowest ways to prime brass imaginable. Get a hand priming tool, or a ram-prime.

If you push back the guide collar the lines up the primer, there should be a hole that goes sideways that allows you to unscrew the primer stuffer-inner. If you call RCBS they will usually send you free replacement parts.

In all honesty, I've found the priming arm to be one of the slowest ways to prime brass imaginable. Get a hand priming tool, or a ram-prime.

Thanks. As I said I'm just doing a rustoration to preserve some old machinery. Maybe my kid or somebody else's grandkid some day might be able to use it. Currently it is my third press and counting in a short personal history of reloading. I prefer priming with my safety prime, and I picked up a hand primer in this deal I'm going to try. But since the jr. came with the primer arm and a tube feed kit, I thought why not?

I'll try your suggested procedure today. Many thanks.

i used the jr 2 priming arm for years until someone told me to get a hand primer. hand primer is waaaay faster. i keep my priming arm set up on my press just incase i need to prime like 1 case real quick or somethin

Throw the old one away.
Buy universal primer arm 09550 (complete w plugs, sleeves, springs)
<broken link removed>

The old primer cup is frozen and I can't get it out. Can I ask the advantage of the universal primer arm over calling RCBS and getting another stock item from them? Just curious if there are advantages. And thank you for the idea.

According to the parts manual, 09550 is used with several RCBS presses, hence the label universal.
If RCBS sends you another one, you are golden.
If not, my link to sportsmans-depot is a source for the RCBS parts.
BTW, my RCBS primer arm un-screws.
Regards
Rick (another old fart):D

Thanks Rick,

My primer cup mechanism on the arm is frozen. I found a neighbor who owns one, and he couldn't get it out even after I soaked it in penetrating oil, so it isn't just me using the wrong method to get it out. I'll call RCBS and see what they say, and my backup plan will be the universal arm. I did not know about that part, so I'm grateful. Sportsman's Depot was out of stock, but a quick Google search found another. Many thanks, old fart.

:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads