JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They all came in boxes like this and I was wondering if anyone knows if they are reloads or old production ammo? All appear to be 357 hollow points or 38 with nickle case(?). I've shot this ammo with my grandpa every time I shot his 357 and recently he gave me all the ammo and I just realized they were all hollow points lol. Any way to know anything off the pictures? Thanks.

20240303_141856.jpg 20240303_141813.jpg 20240303_141759.jpg 20240303_141715.jpg 20240303_141656.jpg

Mixed headstamps on the brass, looks like there may be marks from a case sizing die on at least one load you pictured, looks like reloads.

Hopefully they are not loaded spicy I knew a few guys that liked to go a few grains over but if you are shooting them in a 357 you should be ok ?
Yea all being shot in a 357. Honestly I'm sketchy about shooting reloaded ammo as he didn't reload it he just got it with the gun orginally. He dosent know if they are factory or reload or what. I know we have shot literally hundreds of them before over the years so I guess it's fine. Is there any way to tell if it's reloaded ammo?

Yea all being shot in a 357. Honestly I'm sketchy about shooting reloaded ammo as he didn't reload it he just got it with the gun orginally. He dosent know if they are factory or reload or what. I know we have shot literally hundreds of them before over the years so I guess it's fine. Is there any way to tell if it's reloaded ammo?
They look reloaded to me. Marks on the primers look like a press primer ram and the fired ones look like the primers are trying to back out.

In the last couple photos, you note that although the case headstamps look to be more consistent than the earlier photos you posted it looks like some of the primers had slight indentation marks (sometimes can happen when they are being seated during the reloading process if there is a little powder or debris in the seating anvil). Plus there are two different colored primers (nickel and brass) within the one box of ammo that had the same headstamp brass.

So you ask again, is there any way to tell if it's reloaded ammo? Yes, by the tell tale signs people are noting when responding to your initial question.

If you have already shot a bunch of them without issue, and you know they were loaded by the same person, there is a decent chance the others would also perform similar. But there is a chance they may not. Even factory loaded ammo causes folks problems sometimes.

If there's any question about the provenance of the ammo it is always assumed to have been reloaded.

In the last couple photos, you note that although the case headstamps look to be more consistent than the earlier photos you posted it looks like some of the primers had slight indentation marks (sometimes can happen when they are being seated during the reloading process if there is a little powder or debris in the seating anvil). Plus there are two different colored primers (nickel and brass) within the one box of ammo that had the same headstamp brass.

So you ask again, is there any way to tell if it's reloaded ammo? Yes, by the tell tale signs people are noting when responding to your initial question.

If you have already shot a bunch of them without issue, and you know they were loaded by the same person, there is a decent chance the others would also perform similar. But there is a chance they may not. Even factory loaded ammo causes folks problems sometimes.
Thank you I really appreciate you explaining it to me. I'm going to probably use it because it's worked for us for years and I know it all came from the same guy so I believe it (though they might be a tad more hot than normal self defense loads but never a big issue). Plus a tough gun 686.

Thank you I really appreciate you explaining it to me. I'm going to probably use it because it's worked for us for years and I know it all came from the same guy so I believe it (though they might be a tad more hot than normal self defense loads but never a big issue). Plus a tough gun 686.
Is there any labeling on the top of the cartridge containers?

I acquired a decent number of 38 special and 357 magnum reloads from a guy who I've shot with trust along with some other reloading components a couple years back. There was quite a bit of loaded ammo (more than I really wanted to pull apart). Figured the GP100 would be the safest bet, but I instead used it as an excuse to pick up a single shot, break action Henry rifle. The chamber and barrel on it is very stout; looks like they may likely use the same outside diameter for the larger bore single shots. I figured it would be the best option to use up this ammo in the event I came upon any issue. He gave me a real fair price on the components and ammo, so I probably was able to buy the rifle with the savings if I was comparing how much I would have spent to buy the amount of loaded ammo he included in the deal. Probably shot four or five hundred rounds of it, and have about half of it still left. So far, so good...

That said, it is a risk shooting others reloads that I won't take unless I am very comfortable with the person who loaded the rounds.

My first guess was reloads considering the containers. Most people don't buy factory and stick them in a container like that.

Ditto. And I'd add, personally, there is no way I'm shooting suspected reloads of unknown provenance.
Yea the only reason I think I'll eventually shoot it is because we'll me and him have shot it for years (him more than me) I was young enough and didn't know orginally, but I thought he reloaded them when we shot when I was a adult. Though it's same guy who sold the gun to him orginally so I'm figuring it's fine honestly. Still if I knew it wasent him orginally I probably would have passed but I still prefer knowing at least they are reloads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top