JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got some 9mm ammo from a guy today that has been wet. I took all the rounds that were kind of corroded a little and put them in a box to get rid of. I would never use the rest of it for anything but shooting at the range unless it was SHTF scenario and it was all I had. What are your thoughts? It's only about 100 rounds. But should it be safe to shoot at the range or should I just get rid of it? Thanks!

Pictures would be helpful here.

When in the army I shot plenty of ammo that had gotten wet...or was subjected to extreme heat or cold.
So....just from reading your post...I will say that it can be done....however without further information...
I won't say that it should be done.
Andy

The ones on the left are the ones I was going to get rid of and the ones on the right were the ones I was going to shoot at the range if safe. They were all in the same box of 100. Probably 20 I picked to discard and 80 I was thinking about shooting.

9mm.jpg

Looking at the picture posted...
I'd probably use a bit of steel wool and give 'em a light cleaning and shoot 'em.
Just pay a little extra attention to make sure they go Bang and exit the barrel.....

Edit to add....
All of the above goes out the window...if the ammo is re-loads...

Andy

I agree that is an excessive looking crimp. If they are handloads I would disassemble them for the components.
If factory ammo and if it chambered without an issue I would shoot it at the range (the steel wool is a good suggestion).
A good point was raised by the possibility of a squib, I would shoot all the rounds allowing 1 - 2 seconds between shots. If a squib were to occur there is a definite difference in the sound made as the ammo is ignited inside the gun (it's quieter) and you do not want to follow a squib load by immediately firing another round.

No, factory Winchester 115 grain target loads.

Im still skeptical cause those crimps look awfully heavy. 9mm headspaces off the case mouth.

Let me ask this same question a different way, was the guy a handloader?

and why would he store his rounds wet, let alone give away "good" ammo?

Last Edited:
Im still skeptical cause those crimps look awfully heavy. 9mm headspaces off the case mouth.

Let me ask this same question a different way, was the guy a handloader?

and why would he store his rounds wet, let alone give away "good" ammo
100% not handloads. He's getting rid of all his handguns stuff due to him making a bad selection in the wife picking duties! LOL! I bought a bunch of ammo from him and he threw this in. He threw in some 38 special and shotgun ammo also. But I took the ammo out of the Winchester box it came in. Definitely not reloads.

100% not handloads. He's getting rid of all his handguns stuff due to him making a bad selection in the wife picking duties! LOL! I bought a bunch of ammo from him and he threw this in. He threw in some 38 special and shotgun ammo also. But I took the ammo out of the Winchester box it came in. Definitely not reloads.
its not uncommon for people to store handloads in empty factory boxes.
its odd he stored "factory new" ammo in a condition that causes corrosion.

I'm sorry Koda but you are wrong. They are factory Winchester. I don't know how else to tell you. I'm new to this site but not new to shooting. I'm 64 years old and started shooting when I was knee high to a grasshopper. If it were reloads, I wouldn't even ask the question about them being wet because I wouldn't have even took them. I've been around long enough to know you don't trust someone else's reloads wet or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top