JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
crimp looks excessive...

Might be the understatement of the year.

Im still skeptical cause those crimps look awfully heavy. 9mm headspaces off the case mouth.

From the pictures, the rounds looks over crimped.
Whether they are factory or something else, that crimp isn't right for 9mm. It completely defeats the concept of cartridge headspacing on the mouth.

Originally, I was thinking that ammo damaged by moisture might be subject to component salvage. BUT: Seeing the way the case mouth is crimped deep into the side wall of the bullet, I don't think I'd want to reuse them.

Over crimping will change the pressures
Yes, this is something that is particularly important with 9mm

I shouldn't have even started this thread.
Don't be discouraged. Stick around, overall it's worthwhile. Some of our members are in low level attack mode, like to get out the needle. It's just what it is here.

OP, don't fret about the unfriendly answers. All will be forgotten tomorrow, and this site is loaded with experience and a vast awry of knowledgeable folks. Piling on is just a part of it.

Welcome!

I shoot ammo weekly I find in the bottom of my washing machine. Zero problems.

I thought I was the only one who did that
I bet the list is long on this site. With a wife who is a firearms instructor and two other family members who worked at ranges, it is a frequent occurrence around here. When the repair tech emptied the catch in the washing machine I think he was a bit surprised...or scared. There must have been over a dozen rounds in the filter. Oops.

OP, don't fret about the unfriendly answers. All will be forgotten tomorrow, and this site is loaded with experience and a vast awry of knowledgeable folks. Piling on is just a part of it.

Welcome!
Agreed! But I didn't consider those answers unfriendly. Those answers came from some of the most experienced, friendly, helpful people here. That's been my view anyway after 12 years experience.
I will just caution the OP about the good Member Certaindeaf. He may seem off, or sketchy sometimes, but is actually one of the best. Not just for good information, but also mounds of entertainment value.

I bet the list is long on this site. With a wife who is a firearms instructor and two other family members who worked at ranges, it is a frequent occurrence around here. When the repair tech emptied the catch in the washing machine I think he was a bit surprised...or scared. There must have been over a dozen rounds in the filter. Oops.
My ac and heater in my work truck stopped working due to empty 22 brass going down the vents. They had a full coffee can of empties to show me when I got there

I too have only been shooting since I was knee high to an amoeba and reloading since a few days latter.

That being said, I have noticed a problem with Winchester White box ammo over the last couple of years, their quality control (QC) sucks. The crimp on those rounds is not just excessive, it's down right crazy!! The corrosion on the outside of the cases is not a big deal, I've shoot a lot of ugly looking ammo and being wet for a short while usually doesn't soak the inside components. Spending months in a pond is a different matter but a spin through the washing machine is usually not a big deal.

I would only try to shoot that in a Ruger Revolver (Blackhawk, GP100, Security six, etc....). If you don't have one of those, I would toss them. Not worth the headache.

But..... That's only my opinion.

Wow, that's a crazy crimp. I wouldn't have believed it was factory ammo either. Winchester has some serious QC issues there. You might even get some replacement ammo from them by sending them a quick email with photos. On the other hand, second hand ammo that got wet, maybe not.

If it was new ammo that I bought off the shelf myself though, they would certainly be hearing about it. I'm not particularly picky about the ammo I will shoot, but that stuff is wrong. My guess is that some equipment was mis-adjusted and a bunch of rounds overcrimped, and rather than rejecting it they just let it out the door, because the average gun owner wouldn't even notice. It's sad; a lot more companies are using "customer quality control" nowadays. Everything goes out the door and the customer finds the defective junk. A few customers will go to the effort of letting them know or sending it back, and that's their QC.

A quick search found more than a few reviews complaining of new bought Winchester 9mm white box that was over crimped. Looked just like your photo. I have only seen crimps that bad by re-loaders and commercial re-loaders. Winchester is not making ammo to SAAMI specs with that crimp.

View attachment 1783287
I think since joining this forum….. I have not bought a single box of white box. I've only had accuracy issues in.308 but nothing bad. I don't miss white box….. I don't even think I've seen that big of a cost difference on the shelf anyway.

That's definitely some bad juju regarding crimp. I'd be curious to see what the bullet looks like.

Care to pull one and show us?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top