JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You should try clearing a "worn and tired" M60 machine gun in pitch black nighttime darkness….
Swede used to call that performing and exorcism on the pig. It wasn't long after that Swede "liberated" an STG57. I don't remember what the official explanation was for the loss of the "pig" but there was this young Lt that would run at the sight of the Swede as long as I remember.

As far as the procurement of the STG? Legend has it that Swede brought it back from a walk in the woods. When asked where he found it he gestured to a corpse on the tarmac at Ubon and said " he wasn't using it anymore".

For those of you that know the pig well the STG57 is 10 pounds lighter and box fed. It's also capable of being an improvised DMR. Accuracy even with worn roller delay pieces was excellent. Unlike a G3 these pieces can be replaced. Being able to carry 12 pounds of ammunition and ditching the pig was a win. Curiously large stocks of 7.5x55 appeared along with magazines.

Once stateside an armorer mistakenly attempted to replace the STG57 with a 510-4. This mistake was quickly rectified. It seems he like his anatomy arranged just the way it was.

@Stomper , I didn't mean to go off on a tangent here but both the Swede and I have performed that exoticism in the dark on multiple occasions. The above history is meant to enlighten the current generation as to just how much the pig was despised in service. So much so in fact that nearly any other solution was better than the M60.*

*By the time we saw them in the mid to late 70's they were already "mixmasters" and "franken guns" . A collection of parts just to keep them running. The leaf spring that retains the grip housing would break, partial case extractions were a barrel change, and before the e3 upgrades there were a litany of other ills. And it was heavy ;-) When it worked it was a savior, and it was still heavy. Essentially a crew served weapon because it was , umm, heavy.

Hmmmm...

Well now...I too served...albeit at a different time.
Many of the M60's were indeed "vintage" or "Frankenguns" still.
However...while not a perfect machinegun...they did work well.
It was always good to have these as a support on my flanks....or rushed to head of the line to engage an obstinate foe.

I liked 'em...and found them dependable , easy to maintain and able to provide accurate fire support.

Heavy , yes...dated design...yes again...but useful and well appreciated , at least by me.
Andy

Swede used to call that performing and exorcism on the pig. It wasn't long after that Swede "liberated" an STG57. I don't remember what the official explanation was for the loss of the "pig" but there was this young Lt that would run at the sight of the Swede as long as I remember.

As far as the procurement of the STG? Legend has it that Swede brought it back from a walk in the woods. When asked where he found it he gestured to a corpse on the tarmac at Ubon and said " he wasn't using it anymore".

For those of you that know the pig well the STG57 is 10 pounds lighter and box fed. It's also capable of being an improvised DMR. Accuracy even with worn roller delay pieces was excellent. Unlike a G3 these pieces can be replaced. Being able to carry 12 pounds of ammunition and ditching the pig was a win. Curiously large stocks of 7.5x55 appeared along with magazines.

Once stateside an armorer mistakenly attempted to replace the STG57 with a 510-4. This mistake was quickly rectified. It seems he like his anatomy arranged just the way it was.

@Stomper , I didn't mean to go off on a tangent here but both the Swede and I have performed that exoticism in the dark on multiple occasions. The above history is meant to enlighten the current generation as to just how much the pig was despised in service. So much so in fact that nearly any other solution was better than the M60.*

*By the time we saw them in the mid to late 70's they were already "mixmasters" and "franken guns" . A collection of parts just to keep them running. The leaf spring that retains the grip housing would break, partial case extractions were a barrel change, and before the e3 upgrades there were a litany of other ills. And it was heavy ;-) When it worked it was a savior, and it was still heavy. Essentially a crew served weapon because it was , umm, heavy.

Hmmmm...

Well now...I too served...albeit at a different time.
Many of the M60's were indeed "vintage" or "Frankenguns" still.
However...while not a perfect machinegun...they did work well.
It was always good to have these as a support on my flanks....or rushed to head of the line to engage an obstinate foe.

I liked 'em...and found them dependable , easy to maintain and able to provide accurate fire support.

Heavy , yes...dated design...yes again...but useful and well appreciated , at least by me.
Andy
It wasn't so much the weight of the weapon as it was the 600-700 rounds of ammo that I carried in addition to the gun (BTW- it was the only weapon you were allowed to refer to as a "gun"), as well as the 600-800 rounds my AG and AB carried as well, multiplied by three MG teams per 10-man squad, three squads per platoon….

Yeah, those were what I call, the "buzzsaw days"…. I never want to re-live something like that…. :confused:

Last Edited:
partial case extractions were a barrel change
If the cartridge case rim gets torn off and the case remains stuck in the chamber, you can unlock the bbl., turn it over 180 degrees (with bipod facing up rather than the front sight), relock the bbl. and get another chance at extraction on the other side of the rim. The cut-out for the bbl. lock was done on both sides of the chamber area on the guns we had in my detachment. GI insect repellent can be used to lube a rusty chamber to avoid failures to extract.

The Schwarzlose machine gun of Austria in the WW1 era had a built-in oiler to aid in extraction of cartridge cases.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews