JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the real question here that you are trying to get around the 21 years of age restrictions on a receiver? IE the person buying wants just the receiver, but is under age so you are trying to sell as a rifle so he/she can purchase?

In this case I would avoid the sale, or sell as a completed rifle.

If the person trying to avoid the minimum age restriction disassembles the rifle to reasonable as a pistol, I'd be the last person to sell them this firearm.

Best of luck to your sale.

Also Aero Precision sells bare firearms like this, which if I recall right is transferred as a rifle.

p_100018335_2.jpg

Is the real question here that you are trying to get around the 21 years of age restrictions on a receiver? IE the person buying wants just the receiver, but is under age so you are trying to sell as a rifle so he/she can purchase?

If the person trying to avoid the minimum age restriction disassembles the rifle to reasonable as a pistol, I'd be the last person to sell them this firearm.

Also Aero Precision sells bare firearms like this, which if I recall right is transferred as a rifle.

View attachment 484216
I haven't listed it yet and don't have any buyers lined up. If it is going to be listed as rifle on form 4473 then that will open up the potential buyers pool. And potential buyers would need to be informed of that ahead of time in case they were planning on using the lower on a pistol build. If it will be listed as an other firearm it will shrink the buyers pool but I could advertise the fact that they could use the lower for pistol build. I thought Aero sold something similiar but I am not convinced either way now. I did PM @LuckySG and he has different opinion on this but I will let him share it if he desires.

I emailed the pic to a few other FFLs to see what they say.

Last Edited:

View attachment 484216
The aero rifle in the photo looks like the Colt OEM I bought except my colt has an M4 style FSB. I am still not sure how they are transferring these, rifle or other firearm.

I haven't listed it yet and don't have any buyers lined up. If it is going to be listed as rifle on form 4473 than that will open up the potential buyers pool. And potential buyers would need to be informed of that ahead of time in case they were planning on using the lower on a pistol build. If it will be listed as an other firearm it will shrink the buyers pool but I could advertise the fact that they could use the lower for pistol build. I thought Aero sold something similiar but I am not convinced either way now. I did PM @LuckySG and he has different opinion on this but I will let him share it if he desires.

I emailed the pic to a few other FFLs to see what they say.
I emailed Curts Discount Shooting Supply with a pic, description and the question I presented here and I just just spoke with Curt at CDSS in Milwaukie and he says it has to be transferred as a rifle. This makes the most since to me. I can see where other FFLs might not be comfortable handling the transfer at all. But I think in it's current config it would be a mistake to transfer it as an other firearm, given the fact that it has a rifle butt stock attached along with the 16 inch barrel. I understand they allow lowers with rifle butt stocks to be transferred as other firearms but once you have a barrel mounted in the mix I think that would rule out transferring it as an other firearm. Curt's charges $45 for transfers.

Last Edited:
Gordon at Sunset Firearms in Wilsonville (my favorite LGS because of his 10% commision rate) says my incomplete rifle will transfer as a rifle. He only charges $30 for transfers.

I also spoke with young Josh over at Oregon Rifleworks in Tigard. He said that they would also transfer my rifle as a rifle. I forgot to ask how much they charge for transfers but as I recall it was pretty high.

I think it's pretty much settled in my mind a lower+butt stock+upper+16" or longer barrel all mated together equals a rifle. Now what should I ask for this incomplete rifle? Should I put it on commission at Sunset Firearms or try to sell it myself?

Edit: I heard from Tim over at Tigard Pawn 4 More and he said it will transfer as long gun and they are still charging $25 for transfers. So that is 4 out 5 FFLs I contacted today who will transfer the incomplete rifle as a long gun in the current state of configuration. I may try out the classifieds here for the first time with this rifle.

Last Edited:
OEM carbines are transferred as rifles, what you have pictured would qualify. My question is, why does it matter?
It matters because being designated as a rifle makes it available to more potential buyers in the 18 to 20 age bracket and possibly Washington buyers if I put it on consignment in Oregon FFL shop. Still checking in to that part.

Guns commonly change from rifle to pistol status and back again. What matters is what configuration it is in at the time of the sale........same as a T/C Encore or other switch barrel firearms. An encore can be made into a NFA weapon by installing a pistol length barrel and a rifle butstock. Owning the parts to do so isn't a crime until you assemble it as such.

Guns commonly change from rifle to pistol status and back again. What matters is what configuration it is in at the time of the sale........same as a T/C Encore or other switch barrel firearms. An encore can be made into a NFA weapon by installing a pistol length barrel and a rifle butstock.
In the AR world I think converting from rifle to pistol is a big no-no. But I agree there are so many little things that can change a firearms designation, it taxes the mind.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top