JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I've sold long guns before out of state. So long as I was shipping to an FFL in another state, I could mail it myself without having to go through an FFL dealer on my end.

Is there anything in I-1639 that would bar me from shipping a semi-automatic rifle to an FFL outside of Washington? To Oregon, for example? Thanks.

Except finding a carrier that would ship it for you after they found out what they were being asked to ship.
I think only FedEx ships firearms anymore. I could be wrong.

Is there anything in I-1639 that would bar me from shipping a semi-automatic rifle to an FFL outside of Washington?
I just went through the entire text of I-1639 and agree with @DLS that there's nothing in there to preclude you from doing what you intend.
That being said, I believe that I-594 had much more to say about the transfer of firearms. I'll have to find and re-read my copy of that before I offer an opinion.

ETA: And now I'm livid all over again after having read all of I-1639, to include the "colorful commentary" I wrote in the margins of the text. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I sold a rifle to a buyer in Florida. Shipped direct to his FFL in FL. They sent it back to me and said that they could not receive a rifle that was not shipped by a FFL. He said it was a Florida thing. So, off to my FFL, who shipped it again across the country to the FFL in FL, who received it and gave it to the buyer. Pretty ridiculous. The lesson here is to check with the buyer's FFL and send it in a way that they will accept it.

FedEx here in Post Falls would not accept a rifle I was shipping without a copy of an FFL in the package. I scheduled a pick up instead and shipped it cheaper than the store was going to charge....

No. WA is happy to see AWs leave the state.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....but then......by all means it also good to check with the receiving FFL before shipping. Like you know.....CA (and a I guess, probably other states) has this "thing" about weapons coming into their state. And you know, some states have "lists." So.....whatever, just check.

Last Edited:
3weeks ago I shipped two rifles From Tennessee to an Alaska FFL by fed x no Problem. But I spoke with the owner of Artic Pro Shop before I shipped ;o)

I sold a rifle to a buyer in Florida. Shipped direct to his FFL in FL. They sent it back to me and said that they could not receive a rifle that was not shipped by a FFL. He said it was a Florida thing. So, off to my FFL, who shipped it again across the country to the FFL in FL, who received it and gave it to the buyer. Pretty ridiculous. The lesson here is to check with the buyer's FFL and send it in a way that they will accept it.

As an FFL dealer I can tell you it is the individual FFL Dealer's option to accept from non-dealers or not. Frequently it could be a question of valid ownership, as in could it be a stolen gun. If the gun is entered into the books of the shipper FFL then that person must be satisfied that it is not a "hot" gun being introduced into trade. I accept from non-dealers only for my regular customers and when the seller provides ID and a bill of sale - others must go through a dealer. Note: Even after you pay a dealer to ship, it may be less as many get better shipping rates.

There is nothing to prevent you from driving it to an FFL in Oregon (or any other state) and physically delivering it to an FFL either. I have done this a number of times going the other direction (from Oregon to Washington). If you arrange a sale online and decide to do this you just have to make sure in advance that the FFL in the receiving state is willing to receive the firearm from you over the counter. When I have done this I met the person I was selling the gun to at the FFL and we went in together to make the transfer. Never a problem and for me it was cheaper and safer than shipping it ($25.00 for gas as opposed to $45 to $60.00 to ship).

How would a receiving FFL know the item was shipped from a sending FFL? I am familiar with some who have shipped a firearm with a copy of a local FFL's paperwork inside, but shipped it herself.

How would a receiving FFL know the item was shipped from a sending FFL? I am familiar with some who have shipped a firearm with a copy of a local FFL's paperwork inside, but shipped it herself.

FFL dealers who ship to other FFL dealers include a copy of their license with the shipment identifying them and their contact info.

I am a WA licensed FFL. USPS, FedEx, and UPS will all ship firearms FROM private individuals TO FFLs or to factories for repairs. USPS only ships handguns, UPS only long guns and FedEx ships both though will only ship 2nd day so more expensive. Sometimes a clerk may not be familiar with the rules and will refuse but as a policy it is allowed. You may need to have a copy of the FFL license you are shipping to. This is also covered on the ATF website in the FAQ section. Please note that ALL firearms must be shipped "Adult signature required" regardless of who they are going to.

As far as WA state, none of the initiatives or laws apply to firearms shipping out of state. In interstate shipping, only the Federal rules apply and the state it's going to. The state that the firearm is shipping to may have different rules in which case the FFL you are shipping to should know that state's rules.

Make sure the FFL will accept private party shipments. Some do not. I will and have received firearms from private parties as long as they include a copy of a government issued ID. Most commonly as transfers from Gunbroker sales between private parties.

I have even received firearms from military stationed in Alaska being transferred back to the lower 48. They are unable to drive through Canada with their firearms. In those cases they ship it to themselves care of my shop and then show up with the original shipping receipt and ID and pick up their firearms. These are not transfers and no paperwork or background checks are required. This would basically be the same process if you were flying to another state for a hunting trip and didn't want to take the risk of theft of your rifle from baggage handling. You can legally ship it to yourself care of the guide company or person you are hunting with. On the return, ship it back to yourself at your home address here in WA state. Again please remember "Adult signature required". FFLs are only needed if there is a transfer of ownership. Transfer of ownership does including giving a firearm to a family member so you would not be allowed to ship grandpa's shotgun to your sister in Florida without a FFL

FFL dealers who ship to other FFL dealers include a copy of their license with the shipment identifying them and their contact info.

She may have had the FFL's permission. The FFL would still need to have logged the firearm in and out of their A&D record. Not recommended as the FFL is on the hook if it is not shipped correctly or to who she told the FFL it was going to.

Exception as listed by @mad ox in post #13:

… USPS, FedEx, and UPS will all ship firearms FROM private individuals TO FFLs or to factories for repairs. USPS only ships handguns, UPS only long guns and FedEx ships both though will only ship 2nd day so more expensive. ...

No, it is actually illegal for a person to use the US Postal Service to mail a handgun unless they have a dealer or manufacturer FFL. 18 USC 1715. 18 U.S. Code § 1715 - Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

See also the US Postal Service's website:

5BAED01A-96AE-4E36-8C0B-405C181D4C09.png

She may have had the FFL's permission. The FFL would still need to have logged the firearm in and out of their A&D record. Not recommended as the FFL is on the hook if it is not shipped correctly or to who she told the FFL it was going to.
That does not make it OK. By using the license, she is representing herself as a dealer or his representative. One can not delegate the responsibility - other than to employees under their supervision - who would be listed as employees and a user of the license. That entails a background check to add them to the license. Also the fact that the shipper includes the FFL license means that the item has been entered into their books - from a legitimate source.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top