JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there!

The last few times I go out target shooting with my fiance, we pretty much spend the most time with the 22lr revolvers. I've got a Heritage Manuf. Rough Rider 4.75" barrel 22lr, and for her a Ruger SP101 in 22lr.

I picked up the SP101 for a good price, thinking it'd be an upgrade over the Rough Rider. I unfortunately, can't stand it. It's quite compact for the grip, and with the trigger in single action mode my hand is so damn cramped up I find it uncomfortable to shoot. It's also got a 4 inch barrel, and I prefer the barrel length of the Heritage Manuf I have (4.75").

I enjoy the rough rider a lot, but the six rounds and having to cycle them out one at a time is a bit of a bummer. The sights are also pretty junky so something a little nice wouldn't hurt in that regard. What are some of the other options out there that might fit the bill based on what I've written above?

Edit: reading issues and missed the revolver part....

Ruger single six would make me a happy camper.

Or see below for my simi auto pick.

Ruger Mark 4 (well, mark anything really).

IMO it's the best target recreational target pistol on the market.

You can always upgrade it if you want to dump money into it and have a competition pistol.

Hey there!

The last few times I go out target shooting with my fiance, we pretty much spend the most time with the 22lr revolvers. I've got a Heritage Manuf. Rough Rider 4.75" barrel 22lr, and for her a Ruger SP101 in 22lr.

I picked up the SP101 for a good price, thinking it'd be an upgrade over the Rough Rider. I unfortunately, can't stand it. It's quite compact for the grip, and with the trigger in single action mode my hand is so damn cramped up I find it uncomfortable to shoot. It's also got a 4 inch barrel, and I prefer the barrel length of the Heritage Manuf I have (4.75").

I enjoy the rough rider a lot, but the six rounds and having to cycle them out one at a time is a bit of a bummer. The sights are also pretty junky so something a little nice wouldn't hurt in that regard. What are some of the other options out there that might fit the bill based on what I've written above?

Ruger GP100 in 22 lr

Interesting.

I did discover through some research that the American Heritage is available in pretty limited quantities with adjustable sights. It's cheap enough that I grabbed one just incase it's exactly what I want. If not, meh... some one else will enjoy it!

Thru the years we've had a relatively few choices in a full size .22 DA revolver. The Colt Trooper MkIII, and the K22 variants by Smith and Wesson including the modern 617 come to mind.

Ruger recently released a full size DA .22 revolver, the GP-100/22. Same size gun as their full size .357, but it's .22 rimfire with ten-round capacity.

P1030669_zpsikbhcedm.jpg

P1030670_zpswquaprx9.jpg

WAYNO.

I like S&W revolvers so......

SWM15005.jpg

Mod 18, six shot, 22LR. This, is actually my first firearm that I owned. I bought it as a "trainer" for my duty firearm (S&W Mod 15, in .38 Special).

Aloha, Mark

Hey there!

If the sticker cost is ok, dittos on the Ruger GP. They are pricey but if a .22 wheel gun for fun is your thing it would be hard to go wrong with one of these.

I had a S&W model 17, .22 six shooter. It was highly accurate, a really great revolver! It was stolen in a burglary in the ninty's. :( Boy I miss that gun!

I have an H&R 949, and years ago had a Harrington & Richardson version of the same gun.
It's a great piece, double action, economical, accurate and it's 9 shot.
And there's a few on GunBroker right now.

I bought the one I have now from a guy here on NWFA, but it needed a main hammer spring, which was like $18.00 at Numrich.
All told I have about $50 bucks in it. Cheap, but it's great for plinking and snakeshot when I'm fishing E. Oregon creeks.

I have enjoyed the Single Six convertible. Old school single action with around a 6.5" barrel and adjustable sights. It's an accurate pistol as well. And the .22 mag option is nice. Using a western style drop holster with shell holders around a nice leather belt. A miniature version of my dad's Blackhawk .44 mag and holster that he always packed when we hunted birds, deer, yotes ECT. I carry it with my Henry lever .22. You know like a real cowboy. :D

I have a S&W Model 17 and a S&W Model 617-1, both 6" barrels. I really enjoy them both when they accompany me to the range. Prices on these have gone up over the years, so not sure if they would fit within your $ plan, but I have been satisfied with both of these.

I have a S&W Model 17 and a S&W Model 617-1, both 6" barrels. I really enjoy them both when they accompany me to the range. Prices on these have gone up over the years, so not sure if they would fit within your $ plan, but I have been satisfied with both of these.

Prices have shot up, :D, because they are such great revolvers! My son, wife and I have killed countless grey diggers with mine! Ok, a lot of grey diggers. ;)

I have an H&R 949, and years ago had a Harrington & Richardson version of the same gun.
It's a great piece, double action, economical, accurate and it's 9 shot.
And there's a few on GunBroker right now.

I bought the one I have now from a guy here on NWFA, but it needed a main hammer spring, which was like $18.00 at Numrich.
All told I have about $50 bucks in it. Cheap, but it's great for plinking and snakeshot when I'm fishing E. Oregon creeks.

Same pistol here, for about the same investment.

All my others are FAR more accurate, but nothing beats that pistol as a teaching/learning tool. Countless newbies have run dozens of thousands of rounds through that piece. becoming familiar with range discipline, proper grip, sighting, trigger control and reloading (I even have a tiny 9-shot HKS speed loader). Needless to say, it's a lot more user friendly for a first pistol experience than something like a .357 magnum.

I've been tempted many times over the decades to sell or gift it to deserving recipients. But for all the reasons above, it's a total keeper.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit a few hours later. Mine is NOT a 949, but a 929. Different H&R, same general price. Pic a few posts below. Jamie 6.5 caught my error.

Last Edited:

All my others are FAR more accurate, but nothing beats that pistol as a teaching/learning tool. Countless newbies have run dozens of thousands of rounds through that piece. becoming familiar with range discipline, proper grip, sighting, trigger control and reloading (I even have a tiny 9-shot HKS speed loader). Needless to say, it's a lot more user friendly for a first pistol experience than something like a .357 magnum.

I've been tempted many times over the decades to sell or gift it to deserving recipients. But for all the reasons above, it's a total keeper.
Mine isn't really all that accurate either, with any of the high velocity stuff. But with std .22lr and Fed Automatch it does okay. Certainly enough for my uses.

Last Edited:

BTW,... Yours has a swing-out cylinder?
Mine is a fixed cylinder loading gate design.

BTW,... Yours has a swing-out cylinder?
Mine is a fixed cylinder loading gate design.
Jamie, you astutely nudged me to look at my H&R "949" when I got home tonight. Mine is actually a 929, with the swing out cylinder. Appreciate your setting my foggy memory straight, I'll go do a little edit/repair on my post above. Thanks man.

H&R 929.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews