JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smith actually made a version like that called the Model 45 for the Post Office. They were made in 4" & 6" Barrel lengths. I made the mistake of letting one go a few years ago. My Adjustable Sighted versions just had ahold of me at the time.

I have the same model rough Rider and while fun to plink with the reloading aspect was a pain. Mine would slip past the loading gate constantly forcing you to go all the way around again to eject the one shell. It wants to sit between spots. Poor design I guess, maybe just a bad gun. Either way I tired of messing with it.

Enter the Taurus Tracker model 992 convertible with 4" barrel.
Picked it up in what looked like new condition at a local gun show for $300. Box was worn but pistol appeared unfired.

What a great pistol!
I can't actually think of anything about it I dislike.
Swapped out the ribbed grips for a full size Judge pachmyer grip, that's about it.

Things I like about it;
Full sized handgun. Feels good in the hand. 4" barrel is well balanced.
Swing out cylinder with good ejector, never had a round stick in either cylinder.
Convertible from .22LR to .22 Mag. No tool required, very simple cylinder swap with the push of a button.
9 rounds. Speed loaders are available.
Blaze orange front blade sight, easily visible for older eyes. Deep notch micro adjustable rear sight.
Matte stainless finish. I don't baby mine or clean it often. Still looks very new after a few years of use.

All in all a great little plinking gun I can shoot in the rain and not worry about.

Ruger single six , I bought a Rough Rider for my son. Light primer strikes immediately, never dry fired. PITA sending it back to Florida for repairs.
Cast frame, weird safety.
Don't know I would recommend it other than it's cheap.
If it does not go bang 6 out of 10 times I feel it to be an unsafe choice.
Love my 22/45 and Single Six.

Ruger single six , I bought a Rough Rider for my son. Light primer strikes immediately, never dry fired. PITA sending it back to Florida for repairs.
Cast frame, weird safety.
Don't know I would recommend it other than it's cheap.
If it does not go bang 6 out of 10 times I feel it to be an unsafe choice.
Love my 22/45 and Single Six.

I recently discovered the Rough Rider and I am curious.. Sounds like several members here have not had the best experience. Does anyone really love theirs? I don't have a SA revolver, was just thinking about it purely for the fun factor.. But I don't want to break the bank either.

I have a couple 15+ year old Rough Riders. Never had any mechanical issues with them.
Good little camp pistol, you don't have to worry about it getting scratched or bother cleaning it after every trip out.
Accuracy is on par with the Ruger bearcat or single six after you get the trigger smoothed out.
Takes a few hundred rounds to lighten up but it gets better with use. I'm into the thousands now and have never cleaned them.

The fit and finish is certainly sub-par the Ruger or Colt but the action and accuracy is just fine for plinking.
At the sub $150 price point I wouldn't expect expert blueing and tight grip gaps.

Not much of anything in the way of aftermarket for these so you get what you get. Ruger/Colt grips do not fit.
The adjustable sights are handy on the 9 1/2 inch long barrel but they're plastic so they can break if you drop the gun.
The Hi-Viz tube on the front sight needs a spot of glue to stay put btw.
Heritage used to make oversize grip that fits large hands well. Not sure if they still offer them.

All in all money well spent in my opinion.
Certainly not an heirloom or valuable collectable just simple lightweight pickup gun that works.

I have had a few Rough Riders, and have never had a problem with any of them. They always go bang when I pull the trigger, and are as accurate and reliable as my Single Six, for 1/3 the price. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I always recommend them to my friends as a cheap plinker.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top