JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very cool.
Now I need one of those to complete the set!
(any excuse right?)
LOL
Man if you find it, and it's cheap, jump on it. Mine's no special collector grade piece, but the value I've gotten from it over the decades has been immeasurable.

With that said, I'd like to treat it to a decent set of wood grips or rubber. Maybe there's something "grippier" I might slide over that slick plastic? My mitts are distinctly medium size, and it's still tiny in my grasp. So anything even slightly bit bigger than what's on there now would be a welcome upgrade.

Picked up a sort of rare heritage rough rider with sights. I figured I like this revolver so much, why not try it with sights? I was able to dial in the sights pretty quick, and it shoots plenty good for me! $380 or so though... with shipping the price nearly doubles from the base model, and all it's doing is adding sights!

19221708_10154538870157617_7707725644670593944_o_0.jpg

I unfortunately, can't stand it. It's quite compact for the grip, and with the trigger in single action mode my hand is so damn cramped up I find it uncomfortable to shoot.
I'm not going to try and tell you how great the SP-101 is but what I can say is that the Stocks on a revolver are the easiest Things in the world to change. Pachmayr, Hogue, Uncle Mike's, Herretts are just some of the names out there. Think about IT.

S&W Model 63 4" is the perfect size trail companion. The action is like glass, but mine predates the internal lock.
Ruger Single Six 22lr/mag is also very nice especially in stainless. I remove one hammer spring end from its nub to lighten the trigger pull. Never had a misfire. Thinking about a Bisley conversion. Did that to a 357/9 Blackhawk and it made a huge difference in handling.
Larger frame SW are Great range guns but heavy to carry i.e. 617
Not a huge fan of Ruger SP/GP but they have a following.

Last Edited:
Good thread.

I too have been thinking of getting another revolver in 22lr. I have a colt single action, but I have the fix for a double action, and haven't found something that looks good for that fix.

So far I'm really eyeballing the Taurus Tracker. But the sp101 or the gp100 look to be good choices too.

I'll be following this thread and appreciate all the options given thus far.

The many Colt Pistols seem to be bringing healthy premium prices - Except - that the premium prices don't seem to be showing up at the end of the day(Auction/Gunshow). Especially with the Python, age is everything because there is a Truly Great Deal of difference between one made in the '60/70s and one Made later. If you have never had the chance to shoot one from each era on the same day you just don't understand. Now, put $2-300. into one of the later guns and you will have the quality but personally I'm not sure the Stainless Steel gun will ever make it to the same place.:(

The many Colt Pistols seem to be bringing healthy premium prices - Except - that the premium prices don't seem to be showing up at the end of the day(Auction/Gunshow). Especially with the Python, age is everything because there is a Truly Great Deal of difference between one made in the '60/70s and one Made later. If you have never had the chance to shoot one from each era on the same day you just don't understand. Now, put $2-300. into one of the later guns and you will have the quality but personally I'm not sure the Stainless Steel gun will ever make it to the same place.:(
To me, to be a true Python, it has to have the original Colt Royal Blue finish. Stainless, Electroless Nickel, and shiny nickel (pimp style ), just don't cut it. But that's just me. (Cue Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack:. "It looks good on you, though. :rolleyes: )

When the chance to buy a mint Python for a very reasonable price came up, I didn't hesitate for a second, as there were twenty other buyers calling the seller while I checked it out. Didn't matter what finish it had, it was my one shot of scoring one that nice.

To me, to be a true Python, it has to have the original Colt Royal Blue finish. Stainless, Electroless Nickel, and shiny nickel (pimp style ), just don't cut it. But that's just me. (Cue Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack:. "It looks good on you, though. :rolleyes: )
Agreed that the Colt Royal Blue finish is the classic finish for a Python... But a highly polished stainless Python is also an extreme example of the gunsmiths craft, you do have to admit...

No the difference in Colt Python Pistols is kind of like the Dodge Charger. You can have a '70-73:s0106: or a 2017:s0036: - they're both Chargers but there Truly is a DIFFERENCE!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top