JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friday I went to purchase my 5th gun, I was told by my dealer that it would be delay. i called OSP and left a message. The next day I got a call back, and was told the delay was an arrest when I was 18 (10 years ago). The charges were dropped and no conviction. However since it happened in WA they had to get the info from WA sent to OR. This could take up to 30 days. If there's no conviction I wonder why they couldn't just give the dealer the OK. looks like I might have to wait up to 30 days or more. Does anyone ever had this type of issue?

Sometimes the dang computer records aren't exactly complete (go figure!) so it may not be perfectly clear if there was a conviction or not. Just a guess though.

It's weird how these randomly happen. You purchase 4 guns before this no problems, then on #5 the computer comes back with a delay.

I've never had a delay on a transaction - but that's another reason I buy private party whenever possible. Good luck - hopefully the records come back sooner, rather than next month.

I was delayed on the purchase of my first handgun. I had no idea why. Ended up talking to a very nice gal with the state. Seems there was a little something in my past I didn't remember --- 29 years ago!!! Never arrested, never charged, never in a courtroom.
Because it was so long ago they had to search the archives, and of course they gave that job to the slowest guy they had. It was 30 days to the day before I received the okay!
Wifey

The state is digging real deep lately because of the Homeland Security Act. It's mandated that they check all other state records.
My delay was caused by an incident in Utah.
Remember when Mt. St Helens blew up, well, I was hitch hiking through Utah when that happened, and I had just been picked up by a guy and his girlfriend in their car.
After only going twenty-five miles, we encountered a police roadblock outside of Monticello.
Older citizens were waved through, but anyone younger and especially with long hair were searched.
Cops found an empty six pack of beer in the trunk. All three of us were arrested for open container and fined two hundred bucks each.
There was a line of people leading into the courtroom and only sound you heard was a gravel coming down hard and the single word "Guilty, Two hundred dollar fine."
The cops reasoning for arrest was that we had access to the empties because the car had a rear seat pass through to the trunk.
That made it the most expensive beer that I didn't get to drink.

The state is digging real deep lately because of the Homeland Security Act. It's mandated that they check all other state records.
My delay was caused by an incident in Utah.
Remember when Mt. St Helens blew up, well, I was hitch hiking through Utah when that happened, and I had just been picked up by a guy and his girlfriend in their car.
After only going twenty-five miles, we encountered a police roadblock outside of Monticello.
Older citizens were waved through, but anyone younger and especially with long hair were searched.
Cops found an empty six pack of beer in the trunk. All three of us were arrested for open container and fined two hundred bucks each.
There was a line of people leading into the courtroom and only sound you heard was a gravel coming down hard and the single word "Guilty, Two hundred dollar fine."
The cops reasoning for arrest was that we had access to the empties because the car had a rear seat pass through to the trunk.
That made it the most expensive beer that I didn't get to drink.

How long were you delayed for?

I had the same thing happen. A thirty year old arrest (for street racing) in WA delayed a purchase a few years ago. Funny thing I had purchased maybe 25-30 guns in OR before that and no delay. The gun store was shocked because I bought three guns the week before.

I thought I would give an update on this issue. I got the ok to pick up my AR on the 3rd, so it took about 5 weeks. It's the exact date that the dealer gave me to get an update from OSP during the day of the purchase.

Got delayed on February 14th, got approved on March 12th and was delayed again today on another purchase. Never got a call back from the OSP.

I got delayed today until April 24th. First gun purchase from a gun store. I'm sure its because I have an old conviction as a juvenile in Washington.
I called OSP office and they had a very informational voice message that pretty much stated this is normal now, especially when you have an arrest with no conviction or court appearance. I didn't leave a message, it said I will hear from gun store when it goes through.

Got delayed on February 14th, got approved on March 12th and was delayed again today on another purchase. Never got a call back from the OSP.

It takes up to 7 days for it to go into the database. If it was the same dealer you should have them call with the approval number from the last transaction and it should be approved right away.

The first firearm I bought in Oregon; I was delayed; old misdemeanor I forgot about in CA. I don't know how long it took to get a "proceed," I took possession of the firearm after the 3rd day since they didn't get a response in that time.

The gunbroker didn't mind finishing the transaction.

Now I am about to purchase a new firearm and fully expect to be delayed again, if buds would ever ship it ::sigh:: I just hope the LGS its being sent to is aware and willing to let me take possession after the 3rd day. Or perhaps OSP put a notation in their system regarding that misdemeanor, but that's probably wishful thinking.

• ORS 166.412 (3) (c) If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun
dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of
this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request
by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the
purchaser.
• Federal law prohibits release of a firearm until after the expiration of three business days,
not counting the day on which the dealer asks OSP to conduct a criminal history record
check, unless the OSP provides an approval number first.

I would like this law changed to; instead of "may deliver the handgun" to "MUST deliver the handgun"

I had no issues getting my conceal carry permit but when I went to buy a gun I was delayed and then denied. I got a letter from the FBI stating that an old juvinile conviction from the 80's caused it. Talked to an attorney and he explained that back then a felony as a minor can not cause a firearm purchase to get declined and that it has something to do with our current government. I had my record cleared then denied again. The second time was some other BS excuse from the FBI that I had already cleared up with them so I applied for a U-PIN and got it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top