JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I really would like to have my new AR use a short barrel upper from PSA. What would I have to do in order to legally assemble one? I understand I need to pay a $200 tax but where do I go? Who do I talk to? Etc

I am doing google fu research right now but if someone who has actually jumped through these hoops can advise that would be awesome!

Personally, I would set up a trust. That way if you get anything else that falls under nfa, you can add it to the trust.

I see that you're in vancouver? I'd go into sporting systems and talk to them. They do trusts, transfers and tax stamps.

They way I'd do it, it build it as an ar pistol, send in the sbr paperwork. Then, you have a functioning pistol in the meantime. Once you get the paperwork back for the sbr, you'd get the lower engraved and slap a buffer tube and stock onto the pistol, making it a rifle.

Hopefully thats clear enough.

A Somewhat Complicated. Expensive And Lengthly Process. All Doable ...

First you need to decide whether to do it or not. Understand the advantages. Disadvantages. Legalities. A rather short but steep learning curve. Many rules and regulations. All doable. Some misunderstandings also.

Get on the Internet and find yourself the best Class 3 FFL dealer. It needs to be in the same state. Make contact. Find out what services the Dealer provides. How much they charge. What exactly they do to assist you.

Obtain a lower. The dealer may do most of the stuff for you. You will need a recent pass port type photo and recent fingerprints. The sheriff for the fingerprints. A good service center for the recent photo. Some expense.

The dealer may fill out the form for you. You write a check for $200 bucks for the tax stamp. All the paperwork gets sent in. You wait. Electronical filings take from 3 to 9 months. Snail mail filings can take up to one whole year. You wait.

You wait some more. There are contact points within the BATFE where you can how you stand. Check cashed. Tax Stamp pending. More wait. But DO NOT gather that short barrel before you receive your SBR tax stamp. No.

The very first thing you need before doing that build is the SBR tax stamp. You need it in your hand. Either the stamp or the letter stating you are now entered onto the SBR BATFE roles. The letter or stamp must come first.

THEN obtain your barrel. Then do the build. Once you have that SBR tax stamp or letter, you can run multiple short barrels on that papered AR15 lower. You can also run the lower as a ordinary rifle. Back and forth. Your choice.

The ENGRAVING of the lower occurs when you get your stamp. Name, City, State, Caliber. SBR. All easy to do. We used a jewelry maker who has a nice laser etcher. The font must be so big. Engraved so deep. All explained.

You can Engrave either the receiver, barrel or frame. We engraved our Ruger SBR 10-22 garden monster slayer. All of this can and will be explained by the Class 3 Dealer you select. Our dealer charges $100 for everything. Well spent.

Hope this helps.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And BATFE and NFA Laws And Rules Apply.

...or you could skip everything written above and use Silencer Shop's Form 1 service for $29.95 (plus $200 for the stamp) and let them put the paperwork together and submit it for you. After you receive your stamp, engrave your firearm and assemble it. It's really not that hard.

E

Having no intention of going SBR myself... if I WERE to get into that game what I'd do would be build it as a pistol first, prove out the concept of your build in a "Title 1" form. THEN the trust, then the engraving, and finally mounting a stock.

Since I can't use a stock anyway, I just build everything as pistols with SBM4 braces, personally. As long as the "Freakishly HUGE Pistol" option is a gaping hole left wide open I'm gonna keep on driving Mack trucks through it for paper-free hardware... :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top