JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to sell two of my glocks but dont really want to hassle with the FFL transfer (as I'm sure most buyers dont either). What other methods are there to verify an OR resident is not prohibited from purchasing firearms?

Ask to see ID and create a bill of sale that the buyer signs stating that they are legally able to own a handgun.

That's about all you can do I think.

I may be wrong but I think you can just call the Oregon State Police and for a ten dollar credit card charge you can ask for a background check on a buyer----without mentioning the weapon for sale. This does NOT apply to gunshow sales between private parties, which does require the full monty. Can anyone correct me?

Myself, I prefer to only deal with Concealed Carry Weapon license holders. Show me yours and I'll show you mine, and then a handshake is all I need......................elsullo :D

As an FFL, I don't do any FTF transactions, but I thought there was a "blue form" you could have a buyer fill out.

I also thought the BG check was free for private parties.

Call Oregon State Police and check............free to ask questions.
1-800-432-5059

The answering message (comes on before an operator) will say the number is for BG checks only, but wait for the live person to answer. They can tell you the proper way to do it, or give you a different number to call.

They are very helpful.

I get a photocopy of the buyers Drivers License,and on it I write,I,(name),purchased (Gun model),(serial number),on (date),from(my name).I then have them sign it.I keep that copy.I also provide the same thing stating I sold it on that date,and I sign it,they keep that one.I see no reason to involve the government if it's not required.However,the local Sheriffs office has contacted me regarding a sale I made to a guy that was a felon when he bought it from me.The law says you may not "knowingly" sell to a felon,and I was legal in that respect,I had no idea he was a felon.The detective was cool about that,agreeing that I had done nothing wrong.He was happy,however,when I gave him a copy of the receipt the guy had signed.They already had the guy on a burglary charge,and the purchase of the gun added a couple years to his sentence...At no time during their investigation did they make me feel I had done anything wrong.So,regardless of whether or not you do a NCIC check,make sure you have something in writing that identifies the buyer,the date and the gun...

That is why you SHOULD do a background check.

Just because you got away with selling a gun to a felon by not knowing, doesn't make it right.

That would make me sick to know that I gave a gun to a felon.

I guess you wouldn't feel bad because you "didn't know"

Sorry if it feels like I'm poking you in the chest, but ignorance is not bliss in this case.

It sounds like you are content with your method of selling guns even after knowing that you armed a felon.

Please tell me I am reading that wrong..........

I'm a new poster and I don't want to step on any toes, but it appears my opinions on this subject differ from some.

IMO there's nothing wrong with checking somebody's background. It's your gun, you don't want it to go to some criminal. A concealed permit guarantees someone is legal, but the lack of one doesn't incriminate.

Here's the big one. I don't believe in keeping sales records. Doing the background check creates a record of where the gun is, as do bill of sales. In Oregon the duration the record is kept by the State Police is normally 5 years but can be up to 20. Since they ran it through the feds I'm gonna bet there's record keeping there too.

Now we're getting into federal government knowledge of where every firearm is. First step when you want to take something away from citizens is to know where to look. Most of my political views lean to the left except for the right to bear arms. To protect your other rights you need defense. Don't let someone take your guns (unlikely but still possible). They can't take them if they don't know where they are.

Don't sell to someone who has that criminal vibe about em. Many do.
If somewhere down the road a crime has been commited and they trace your gun be honest and tell them what you remember about the buyer.
I don't buy from someone who needs to retain all my information. (unless the gun is really cool) It justs freaks me out. Maybe I'll get my concealed license so I can prove to a seller that it's okay.

This turned into a longer post than I expected. LOL

-Steve

Don't sell to someone who has that criminal vibe about em. Many do.

While not anywhere near scientific, your gut can go a long way in determining who you sell to. How someone interacts with you via e-mail and on the phone can tell a lot about the person. If you get any bad vibes, it's probably not worth going through with the sale.

I have not been into this hobby long enough as to having to start selling any of my toys. Guess I am an accumulator. But when I sell, if it is a friend, a handshake will do.

I like the CHL "show me yours and I'll show you mine" exchange. W/o it, I defenitely go for the background check at the buyers expense.

I've always just required ID and bill of sale- but I'm also picky on who I sell to in the first place. All have been either good friends, or good aquaintances with CHL's. But I still love driving up to the outlet mall and swapping guns for cash in the parking lot!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top