JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I expect to have to dig into prep supplies for:

• I don't - y'all are nuts

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • A few weeks at most

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • A month or two at most

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Three to Six months

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Six+ months

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
So, we have a general thread here. There are plenty of news articles documenting the progress, some interesting conversation, and the like. But let's get down to brass tacks and discuss real, and specific, steps you have taken and are planning to take in light of this development.

Some things to kick around in this thread:

• What specific preps have you done and plan to do in the near future?
  • What new equipment, gear, or other items have you added to the mix? Why?
  • What planned events have you cancelled or otherwise avoided in light of COVID-19?
  • What are you doing to be in peak physical condition, both to fight off infection, and to be ready if/when it all goes to hell?
  • What is your "go event" when you now know the worse of all fears has occurred and what do you plan on doing when that happens?
  • Has the news impacted your firearms battery, supplies, or training in any way?
  • Has it impacted other training priorities (e.g., medicine, comms, etc.)?
  • Are you taking part in community preparations? If you already are, will that change in any way? Will it cease?
  • Considering what the news is doing to global markets, how has this impacted your investing plans, strategy, etc.?
  • Do you have any family members with special needs and/or are in the demographic hit the hardest by the disease? If so, what are you doing to insure their survival and comfort?
  • Any other specific actions that you think are worth talking about.
What this isn't for:
  • General discussion and news. We've already got that covered.
  • Conspiracy bullplop. It doesn't belong here any more than it does elsewhere.
I have some thoughts, but will reserve them for later. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gonna make my own boot leg jank hand sanitizer then sell it for triple the mark up based off speculation scares and see how many people I can con out of money. Then live off passive income as I network with all the guys selling TP to the gullible.

No joke, be an early adopter. Get it over with.

Im honestly more worried about the panic buying hurting the supply chain. So in other words, I'll be buying a good amount of non perishable foods here shortly. I plan on trying to get to Costco and buy anything that might be left.

I did order a few months of diapers already. That's about the only and honestly the absolute first thing that came to my mind to buy now.

Because I'm a teacher, I'm prepared to either get the virus or at least be exposed to it. So I'm planning on a two-week quarantine. We have plenty of food and hygiene products for months, but I realized I was low on supplies if we did come down with it. So I restocked my flu medication (Theraflu and NyQuil/DayQuil) along with sore throat spray and lozenges. I also picked up a pack of face tissue at Costco and ordered more powdered Gatorade.

Last Edited:
Because I'm a teacher, I'm prepared to either get the flu or at least be exposed to it. So I'm planning on a two-week quarantine. We have plenty of food and hygiene products for months, but I realized I was low on supplies if we did come down with it. So I restocked my flu medication (Theraflu and NyQuil/DayQuil) along with sore throat spray and lozenges. I also picked up a pack of face tissue at Costco and ordered more powdered Gatorade.

You do realize this isn't the flu we're talking about, right?

So, we have a general thread here. There are plenty of news articles documenting the progress, some interesting conversation, and the like. But let's get down to brass tacks and discuss real, and specific, steps you have taken and are planning to take in light of this development.

Some things to kick around in this thread:

• What specific preps have you done and plan to do in the near future?
  • What new equipment, gear, or other items have you added to the mix? Why?
  • What planned events have you cancelled or otherwise avoided in light of COVID-19?
  • What are you doing to be in peak physical condition, both to fight off infection, and to be ready if/when it all goes to hell?
  • What is your "go event" when you now know the worse of all fears has occurred and what do you plan on doing when that happens?
  • Has the news impacted your firearms battery, supplies, or training in any way?
  • Has it impacted other training priorities (e.g., medicine, comms, etc.)?
  • Are you taking part in community preparations? If you already are, will that change in any way? Will it cease?
  • Considering what the news is doing to global markets, how has this impacted your investing plans, strategy, etc.?
  • Do you have any family members with special needs and/or are in the demographic hit the hardest by the disease? If so, what are you doing to insure their survival and comfort?
  • Any other specific actions that you think are worth talking about.
What this isn't for:
  • General discussion and news. We've already got that covered.
  • Conspiracy bullplop. It doesn't belong here any more than it does elsewhere.
I have some thoughts, but will reserve them for later. Thanks for sharing. :)

Well, you played my game so here's to yours:

What specific preps have you done and plan to do in the near future?
I've got a few more pounds of non-perishable foods in the pantry (pasta, rice, beans, flour, sugar), canned and frozen veggies and fruits, and am, for the most part, buying fresh week to week and eating that over anything else. If we got locked in the house, we'd have a month or so worth of food. We are not planning on obtaining anything else and I rate the probability of a quarantine in Beaverton/Hillsboro as low.

What new equipment, gear, or other items have you added to the mix? Why?
Nada. Already have a ton of gear from backpacking adventures and enough bleach to keep the house clean for awhile.

What planned events have you cancelled or otherwise avoided in light of COVID-19?
Skipping the concert season, for now, and am doing more hiking with my daughter as opposed to going to the Children's Museum or any other location with lots of people in a small area.

What are you doing to be in peak physical condition, both to fight off infection, and to be ready if/when it all goes to hell?
I'm about 30 pounds overweight and trying to lose it through diet. A broken back earlier in my life and early onset arthritis from decades of climbing is really screwing with any workout routine I try. Still, trying to find a routine for this stage of my life that I can keep up with. Haven't found it yet.

What is your "go event" when you now know the worse of all fears has occurred and what do you plan on doing when that happens?
When I walk outside and see dead neighbors. I do not see any future with nCov-'19 where it is bad enough to force me to either hunker down or go somewhere else. If some sort of event like that happens, my family and I would head back to Arizona: our families are there and I'm more comfortable in that environment.

Has the news impacted your firearms battery, supplies, or training in any way?
No, but I trained more than most from the start anyway. I've been putting ~500-1000 rounds of 9mm through the pipe monthly and have a bull barrel 10/22 scoped in, a lightweight 10/22 that just got put together, and a .308 that I'm learning to shoot distance with. I also started building my first AR and will have it done in another 10 months, unless I swap cheaper parts for my current wishlist parts. These are all things that I was doing before nCov and will continue to do after.

Has it impacted other training priorities (e.g., medicine, comms, etc.)?
No.

Are you taking part in community preparations? If you already are, will that change in any way? Will it cease?
No. The US has gone through two world wars and flu epidemics without breaking down. I don't have a reasonable expectation that any situation would force me from home. But, if things get bad enough: we're heading back to AZ.

Considering what the news is doing to global markets, how has this impacted your investing plans, strategy, etc.?
Nope. At this point, I fund my wife's graduate degree, a daughter, and our lifestyle. There isn't much in the way of long term investing at the moment for me. But, I'll let you in on our long term plan: My wife will graduate and effectively double our family income. She'll get a job with the Federal government who will count her time in the USAF toward retirement. We'll get there and then she'll go into private practice, whereby we'll effectively be getting 3 incomes. We'll be investing heavily as soon as she graduates and the loans are paid off to catch up for what we're missing out on now. Yep, your tax dollars are part of my master plan. I guess I should say thank you!

Do you have any family members with special needs and/or are in the demographic hit the hardest by the disease? If so, what are you doing to insure their survival and comfort?
Parents are in their 50's, dad travels extensively for work. Not much that can be done currently except to remind them to stay vigilant. Dad already has a cold that "kicked his bubblegum" but is recovering. Not sure if nCov or not. Grandparents are both cancer survivors but back in chemo cause cancer is a biatch. I really hope they don't brush shoulders with nCov. Again, though, not much can be done...they can't forgo current treatment to bug in and hell, too stubborn to think its worth it anyway.

Any other specific actions that you think are worth talking about.
I like to remind everyone I talk with about the lack of governmental response. We should be methodical about slowing any sort of infection rate so that medical systems do not get overwhelmed. We should be supporting all of those workers who cannot work from home or who don't get sick days. If your local party is Democrat, vote Republican on the next one and vice versa. Honestly, get all the incumbents out and mix things up because there has been absolutely no leadership on this issue.

What this isn't for: General discussion and news. We've already got that covered. Conspiracy bullplop. It doesn't belong here any more than it does elsewhere.
Good effin' luck. ;)

You do realize this isn't the flu we're talking about, right?

CoV-19 and flu have no cure. Flu has vaccines but it changes every year so the vaccine isn't a guarantee that contraction of flu won't happen.

So what is treated are the symptoms - runny nose, headache, cough and fever.

In extreme cases* both CoV-19 and the flu can cases cause acute respiratory syndrome, pneumonia, kidney failure... death.

So treating the symptoms for comfort is what you do - Theraflu, NyQuil, throat lozenges, etc...

Teacher is right in getting some of those supplies together , more so given that they're going to hard to come by off the shelf.

So I ask why would you comment on her plans to stock these supplies and try to make point that the flu and CoV-19 aren't the same though the onset treatment of symptoms are the same??

Do you realize that the you don't explode if CoV-19 is contracted? Do you realize that the vast majority of those that did contract CoV-19 live to tell about it?

*Those that do die in almost all cases have other health related complications.

Do you realize that the you don't explode if CoV-19 is contracted? Do you realize that the vast majority of those that did contract CoV-19 live to tell about it?

Italian doctors are reporting 10% of the people testing positive for covid19 require intensive care. They have an older population than the US but this still has a very high chance of overwhelming the medical system. They are considering not treating older patients and letting them die to keep the ICU rooms available for younger patients. That is disaster level triage, not seasonal flu level triage. They are trying to quarantine half the country. We are 2 weeks behind what is happening in Italy.

If the ICU's are filled up with covid patients, what is going to happen to the patients with heart attacks and strokes?
If our doctors get sick and are quarantined, who is going to treat the patients?

The CDC and health departments have completely dropped the ball on this. Its going to overwhelm the medical system. We should have been testing 1000 people a day in every city like south korea.

CoV-19 and flu have no cure. Flu has vaccines but it changes every year so the vaccine isn't a guarantee that contraction of flu won't happen.

So what is treated are the symptoms - runny nose, headache, cough and fever.

In extreme cases* both CoV-19 and the flu can cases cause acute respiratory syndrome, pneumonia, kidney failure... death.

So treating the symptoms for comfort is what you do - Theraflu, NyQuil, throat lozenges, etc...

Teacher is right in getting some of those supplies together , more so given that they're going to hard to come by off the shelf.

So I ask why would you comment on her plans to stock these supplies and try to make point that the flu and CoV-19 aren't the same though the onset treatment of symptoms are the same??

*Those that do die in almost all cases have other health related complications.

I wasn't saying not to prepare or gather supplies, only attempt to point out, as I often seem to be doing, that this is not the flu. Calling it the flu is misinformation and does no-one any good.

Also, while the common cold and flu may be vaccine free, scientists are hard at work on a vaccine for SARS-cov-2 and should be entering human trials soon if all goes well. Cool, right?

Italian doctors are reporting 10% of the people testing positive for covid19 require intensive care. They have an older population than the US but this still has a very high chance of overwhelming the medical system. They are considering not treating older patients and letting them die to keep the ICU rooms available for younger patients. That is disaster level triage, not seasonal flu level triage. They are trying to quarantine half the country. We are 2 weeks behind what is happening in Italy.

If the ICU's are filled up with covid patients, what is going to happen to the patients with heart attacks and strokes?
If our doctors get sick and are quarantined, who is going to treat the patients?

The CDC and health departments have completely dropped the ball on this. Its going to overwhelm the medical system. We should have been testing 1000 people a day in every city like south korea.

Basically, this. Also, please see my post in the other thread: Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Official Thread

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top