JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending on proper construction, well percolated drain field, and how it was treated before you got it, changes the answer considerably. Septics are a way of life, take them serious, treat them right, feed them well, and a very long time can be had before requiring service. But treat them like you live in the city, and all life will shortly die in them, plug with solids and be no different than a portable worksite toilet needing regular pumping..

You're supposed to pump them every 5yrs. I went 7 and it was still in good shape. My parents went 20+, have a garbage disposal, frequently use bleach and have never had a problem, but spending a few hundred every few years is good insurance to prevent paying tens of thousands.

Another thing is to make sure you have a T on your outlet to prevent solids from entering your drain field.

I don't think Ridx and similar products do anything personally.

I have owned my cabin property since 2008. I haven't had to service mine yet but it gets fairly light use one toilet and shower.

I have been thinking about checking it but everytime I think that I decide to do something else.

I have owned my cabin property since 2008. I haven't had to service mine yet but it gets fairly light use one toilet and shower.

I have been thinking about checking it but everytime I think that I decide to do something else.
Rid X or similar worked wonders for my folk's septic tank. I recall it was actually pumped once in 30 years. And that in a clay-loam soil. The weeds grew tall and strong over that area...

Mine has not been pumped in over 30 years. We do not put many chemicals in it, use degradeable TP, and are not stingy with the water flowing through.
About 10 years ago I added a RV dump station and opened it to find only a thin layer of floating debris, and about 10 inches of solids on the bottom.
When we sell I will have to have it pumped out as part of the sale, but I don't expect it to be any different then. DR

Same, since '13.…. drag the gravel, limb up the trees, stain the deck / siding, change the oil in all the toys, have a drink with the full timer….

I mix up a couple tablespoons of yeast with some sugar and water and let it grow a few hours, then flush it to the tank. Its a good way to offset any cleaning products used.

Have lived in our house 48.5 years and pumped the septic tank three times; twice while the kids were growing up and once in the 20 years since the last one left home. County requires a check every three years. 30" below the backyard grass is round gravel [probably an ancient lateral glacial moraine] so drainage is never going to be an issue.

Depending on proper construction, well percolated drain field, and how it was treated before you got it, changes the answer considerably. Septics are a way of life, take them serious, treat them right, feed them well, and a very long time can be had before requiring service. But treat them like you live in the city, and all life will shortly die in them, plug with solids and be no different than a portable worksite toilet needing regular pumping..
Much wisdom here ^^.

Number of people on the system greatly influences the situation.

Yes, city people tend to use the sanitary drain in their home as a waste basket. That won't do for a septic system.

Our place is down to a regular population of two now, I have the tanks pumped every 4 to 5 years just because. It seems like good insurance. I have a filter on the outlet pipe. I'm supposed to clean that every year, I'm into my second year on that chore.

I found this interesting. In my area, septic pumpers used to take the solids to a municipal water treatment plant for dumping. That ended. Now they are buying land to store the solids on. Some ship to eastern Washington, where they pay to dump solids on large storage areas. Trips over the mountains with loads of solids have driven prices of the service up.

At one time, I thought the installation of new septic systems would decline. Around here, that hasn't been the case. Because so much new development is taking place on land farther out where there is no sewage treatment infrastructure. And likely won't be for some time, in large measure due to issues involving terrain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top