JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of "prepping", you know that the cost of building supplies are going through the roof, what with the 3-4 calamities bang-bang style. They say that the Puerto Rico rebuild alone will rival the Marshal Plan.

A note my father sent me in regards to some family goings on:

PR family update -
Hi Xx & Xxxxx

I have been able to speak to my Titis and some of my cousins.
The devastation that you see and read about is very real. Their concern is if the island will ever be able to recover.

Xxxxx and her husband got to FL yesterday and are with their son in Winter Park. She was recently diagnosed with a malignant lung tumor and has an appt on Tuesday in FL, for a consult for treatment options.

Xxxx will be coming back to Orlando w/ Xxxxxx on 10/4. He was able to get an inbound flight for 10/1.
He has been at his condo in FL since Irma.

Xxxxx is now living at an assisted living residence in the Miramar section of San Juan. She has been the luckiest since the facility has generators to provide A/C and meals to the residents. She's had several health issues this year w/ hospitalizations. I will send you her new contact info on a separate message.

The cousins had various degrees of water damage to their homes and their beautiful gardens were destroyed! They have had to struggle to get needed supplies as gas is being rationed to $15 per car, and needed water & goods are difficult to obtain. The NY Times and CNN seem to be giving the most accurate assessments.

Hope all is well on your end! Always, Xxxxx

Dear Xxxxx, what a tragedy of the 1st order.
We are pleased that none suffered injury.

I believe PR may be finished as we knew it. The damage seems so far reaching and the folk in shock not being organized,etc. Maybe the students can pull together to salvage some of the island. It will take the youth to put their shoulder to the wheel to solve the problems.

Love to you and Xxx. X & X

A note my father sent me in regards to some family goings on:

PR family update -
Hi Xx & Xxxxx

I have been able to speak to my Titis and some of my cousins.
The devastation that you see and read about is very real. Their concern is if the island will ever be able to recover.

Xxxxx and her husband got to FL yesterday and are with their son in Winter Park. She was recently diagnosed with a malignant lung tumor and has an appt on Tuesday in FL, for a consult for treatment options.

Xxxx will be coming back to Orlando w/ Xxxxxx on 10/4. He was able to get an inbound flight for 10/1.
He has been at his condo in FL since Irma.

Xxxxx is now living at an assisted living residence in the Miramar section of San Juan. She has been the luckiest since the facility has generators to provide A/C and meals to the residents. She's had several health issues this year w/ hospitalizations. I will send you her new contact info on a separate message.

The cousins had various degrees of water damage to their homes and their beautiful gardens were destroyed! They have had to struggle to get needed supplies as gas is being rationed to $15 per car, and needed water & goods are difficult to obtain. The NY Times and CNN seem to be giving the most accurate assessments.

Hope all is well on your end! Always, Xxxxx

Dear Xxxxx, what a tragedy of the 1st order.
We are pleased that none suffered injury.

I believe PR may be finished as we knew it. The damage seems so far reaching and the folk in shock not being organized,etc. Maybe the students can pull together to salvage some of the island. It will take the youth to put their shoulder to the wheel to solve the problems.

Love to you and Xxx. X & X
We all pray that your family is well and getting whatever help that they need. After nearly 1/2 a century of dealing directly with and studying diasaters of all sorts, I can guarantee you that in 5 years (or less) Puerto Rico will be far better than it ever was. These tragedies, as difficult as they are, bring with them silver linings. It gives the enviorment (both human and natural) the opportunity to rebuild in ways that are better than ever. Even things like Forrest fires do the same, they take a Climax Forrest and allow the of grass, brush and plants that hadn't been in those areas for decades. The wildlife thrives and new healthier ecosystems are established. The buildings that were destroyed and the systems that failed will be rebuilt with upgraded standards that would have never have been available without this event. This place is an extension of the USA, funds and talent will flow in, everything will change for the better. Like countless disasters throughout history, the rebuilt structure will be stronger and better.

Thank you for posting this exchange, @Camelfilter. Your family is in my thoughts. Here's hoping for the best.

I believe PR may be finished as we knew it.

^ I get this sentiment as it has been expressed to me by people I know and trust, one of whom is in the thick of it right now. However, I have to imagine Puerto Rico will eventually rebuild and become vibrant again. But it is going to be a long, hard road, any way you slice it.

We all pray that your family is well and getting whatever help that they need. After nearly 1/2 a century of dealing directly with and studying diasaters of all sorts, I can guarantee you that in 5 years (or less) Puerto Rico will be far better than it ever was. These tragedies, as difficult as they are, bring with them silver linings. It gives the enviorment (both human and natural) the opportunity to rebuild in ways that are better than ever. Even things like Forrest fires do the same, they take a Climax Forrest and allow the of grass, brush and plants that hadn't been in those areas for decades. The wildlife thrives and new healthier ecosystems are established. The buildings that were destroyed and the systems that failed will be rebuilt with upgraded standards that would have never have been available without this event. This place is an extension of the USA, funds and talent will flow in, everything will change for the better. Like countless disasters throughout history, the rebuilt structure will be stronger and better.
dood, don't you understand the concept of "finished"?

lolz

Before the 1906 earthquake and fire in San Francisco, the city was a collection of wooden structures with a few quality buildings intermingled. Some quality buildings survived, few wooden ones did. The same held true with the Spokane and Portland fires. Afterward, the new buildings were built to withstand the challenges of the region. It is a human thing, we may learn slowly but we do learn......unfortunately, many times it takes a disaster to bring the issues to the forefront. The sinking of the Titantic brought about huge changes in ship design and safety standards. People in Houston will elevate there houses as they rebuild, in Florida they will do what is nessisary to improve there infrastructure and building designs. The problem is, generations in the past already knew those lessons.....we either chose to ignore them or forgot them. It seems humans need reminded from one decade to another. I had an argument with a Boise city council person last spring during the record runoff we had. The Boise trickle (river) was flooding......I had recently spent an extended time in Europe exploring 1000 year old cities, all with rivers running through them. Even in mid-evil Times, the people knew better than building close to a river without first raising the ground and building a wall..........that is how those buildings have survived throughout time. Why didn't the idiot (educated?) planners know that the last 100 years while Boise was being built? They were lazy.

Speaking of "prepping", you know that the cost of building supplies are going through the roof, what with the 3-4 calamities bang-bang style. They say that the Puerto Rico rebuild alone will rival the Marshal Plan.
They will come back down. Our capitalist system will gin up to the challenge. Last winter we lost so many onion storage sheds here in my are from snow that the price of onions went up 5 fold for a few weeks...... labor rates went up, it was impossible to rent equipment, they are back down. Did you see the army of electrical utility trucks and personnel going to Florida from all over the country? That is how we respond as a people.

Typhoon == hurricane. Six of one, half dozen of another.

It is still caused death and destruction. The fact that one comes from the Atlantic and the other from the Pacific, makes no difference to the people it hit. Ask the relatives of the 46 people it killed and the hundreds injured. The peak winds varied between 145 and 170 MPH. Calling a "storm" is a bit of an understatement. The damage in today's dollars would be several billion.

As I said, I was there - I may have only been 8 years old, but I remember it vividly and I remember the damage afterwards.

Terrifying to live though. Beaverton just off Murray trees down everywhere roads blocked, no satellite tracking. I remember my dad being stuck in Portland took him hours to get home. When he did he marched us down the street to the farm house in the middle of the field, with no trees around. We didn't go home till the tree on our house was cut up and removed.

Still I remember power coming back soon, in days not out for weeks

Typhoon == hurricane. Six of one, half dozen of another.

It is still caused death and destruction. The fact that one comes from the Atlantic and the other from the Pacific, makes no difference to the people it hit. Ask the relatives of the 46 people it killed and the hundreds injured. The peak winds varied between 145 and 170 MPH. Calling a "storm" is a bit of an understatement. The damage in today's dollars would be several billion.

As I said, I was there - I may have only been 8 years old, but I remember it vividly and I remember the damage afterwards.

I was 11 at the time and it was the scariest situation that I have been in including the earthquakes of various years in my 66 years of life and Mt St Helen's. The wind howling and the other noises were enough to unnerve the strongest person. The various floods are predictable and are relatively slow moving events so you have time to get out if you heed warnings. Vanport flood was an an anomaly brought on by the government saying everything is ok. Same way with Katrina in New Orleans.

They will come back down. Our capitalist system will gin up to the challenge. Last winter we lost so many onion storage sheds here in my are from snow that the price of onions went up 5 fold for a few weeks...... labor rates went up, it was impossible to rent equipment, they are back down. Did you see the army of electrical utility trucks and personnel going to Florida from all over the country? That is how we respond as a people.
Of course they will. The sun will burn out again and the universe will repeat infinitely.

So the lessons learned are that all the money and onions in the world are folly when yer bubblegume gets scoured from the face of the earth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top