JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For fun , when at a public shooting area , like a old gravel pit...
I like to shoot the left over stray clay bird bits and expended shotgun shell , that others have "thoughtfully" left behind..:rolleyes:.

Shooting at these items , offhand without any support , can really hone your shooting skill...
or be a bit humbling at times...:D
( And yes I do police up the area afterwards... )
Andy

Shirly you have more than just one target picture... I had some bullet failures with a lot of 6.5 mm Hornady 140 ElD-match bullets...
View attachment 589817
This is 4 shots....
View attachment 589818

I do somewhere, but this one was the most interesting to me (and the only one that's on my phone ATM), because I ran various weights of Remmy core-lokt, Hornady SST (what I had in hand in the gun safe) and it was grouping OK. It started to tighten up as the barrel was getting "woke", and the scope getting tuned. Then I tried a few rounds that @11Charlie made up with this recipe...

(I gotta get my Dillon 650 and Rock Chucker set up to roll some of these... WHOA!!)
58DEBB95-003C-4F81-925B-A0EF0B1D5D7D.jpeg

Then I started getting very consistent hits in the 1" dots at 100yds.

We were getting ready to leave and do beer and BBQ, so I threw up a clean sheet and ran three quick rounds through just to confirm things were gellin' and snapped a quick photo in case it was a hallucination.... LOL

3792B45F-4FE0-4BBD-BADA-FFDAAAD4727B.jpeg

Maybe consider trying some SMK boolits... and don't call me Shirley. ;):D

I do somewhere, but this one was the most interesting to me (and the only one that's on my phone ATM), because I ran various weights of Remmy core-lokt, Hornady SST (what I had in hand in the gun safe) and it was grouping OK. It started to tighten up as the barrel was getting "woke", and the scope getting tuned. Then I tried a few rounds that @11Charlie made up with this recipe...

(I gotta get my Dillon 650 and Rock Chucker set up to roll some of these... WHOA!!)
View attachment 589865

We were getting ready to leave and do beer and BBQ, so I threw up a clean sheet and ran three quick rounds through just to confirm things were gellin' and snapped a quick photo in case it was a hallucination.... LOL

View attachment 589864

Gotta love that recipe it is money!! But I have to give all the credit to @v0lcom13sn0w he is the genius behind that one.

View attachment 589865

View attachment 589864

Looks good to me. Reminds me of when i shot my old pre64 model 70 338wm and all 5 landed into less than 1/2". I put the rifle back in the case and i was done for the day...

I have been putting these in the shooting picture thread but maybe this is a little more current??

I have (3) 10 shot groups to post from today. Two are not great and one is getting closer to ok.

The first is a 10 shot group from my 16" barrel 308 AR. This is one of the not so great. I got 2 hits out of 10 on my 18" gong at 1000 yards. I would have really hoped for better. There was a slight breeze. I shot 5 rounds and got one hit holding about 1.5 MOA left. Let the suppressor cool a little and shot 5 more. Got one hit holding about 3 MOA right. The whole time the wind at my shooting position felt to be right to left. I think we have discussed before that wind really is the hard part. ;)

aNCxVcchTWuFEzb+KT6dog.jpg

The next 2 targets are my 6.5 at 100 yards. 10 shot groups. Shot in probably less than 2 minutes each. Again, not bragging or an excuse. Just like to shoot and not think about it a whole lot. ;)

NfdWRSNEQTKopnQ6NjLrIg.jpg fullsizeoutput_2b0.jpeg

Yesterday I finally loaded some 175 SMK for my .308 seems like Sierra bullets always perform. Wasted a lot of components following the charge weights they recommended. I ended up loading 3grains hotter than their max and had no sign of pressure. Admittedly I was 2.830 instead of 2.800 OAL.

Four shot groups because reasons. Screenshot_20190630-190531_Range Buddy.jpg Screenshot_20190630-190604_Range Buddy.jpg

Could be better and have been worse

I have been putting these in the shooting picture thread but maybe this is a little more current??

I have (3) 10 shot groups to post from today. Two are not great and one is getting closer to ok.

The first is a 10 shot group from my 16" barrel 308 AR. This is one of the not so great. I got 2 hits out of 10 on my 18" gong at 1000 yards. I would have really hoped for better. There was a slight breeze. I shot 5 rounds and got one hit holding about 1.5 MOA left. Let the suppressor cool a little and shot 5 more. Got one hit holding about 3 MOA right. The whole time the wind at my shooting position felt to be right to left. I think we have discussed before that wind really is the hard part. ;)

View attachment 595863

The next 2 targets are my 6.5 at 100 yards. 10 shot groups. Shot in probably less than 2 minutes each. Again, not bragging or an excuse. Just like to shoot and not think about it a whole lot. ;)

View attachment 595867 View attachment 595868

I like your honest input and targets man. One of these days we are going to have to meet up and do some shooting together. I'll post up some that you don't see from me too much... However, these were the ones that made me the most happy today. Even though I was shooting some pretty damn impressive rifles with nice Nightforce scopes on top, the old AR10 308W is the one that made me smile the most... Not only because the new scope adjusted and tracked perfectly, but because it just does its thing. I always call this my "1.6 moa AR10", and for good reason:
Here's the first target, where I adjusted the new scope:
BnjzuoC.jpg

And, here's my 1.6 moa groups....:
AcLjCyg.jpg

This rifle doesn't falter. It's like a timex....
This will back up my 1.6 moa theory:
IppM3pD.jpg
w4dh5Pi.jpg
CCEODPf.jpg
5KB382x.jpg
I have, however, shot some really small 3 shot groups with the rifle:
DcHjEYx.jpg

I also smoked my bosses 300wm with it as well at the 400 yard line and shot a 2.5" 5 shot group. The rifle really performs when you want it to... Having said that, my new performance center 6.5 creedmoor is more of the same thing, only better....:
oN6Uc3c.jpg

Last Edited:

View attachment 589865

View attachment 589864

Great shooting rifle man. I know where a like new 20" stainless CTR is for $699.99..... Pretty good deal, I thought....

Yesterday I finally loaded some 175 SMK for my .308 seems like Sierra bullets always perform. Wasted a lot of components following the charge weights they recommended. I ended up loading 3grains hotter than their max and had no sign of pressure. Admittedly I was 2.830 instead of 2.800 OAL.

Four shot groups because reasons.View attachment 595876 View attachment 595877

Could be better and have been worse
Looks damn promising to me..

Here's a 10 shot group. I even tossed some of them in sideways... :p

eXVbBdh.jpg

I ended up deciding to send the remainder of the bad lot of bullets to Hornady for testing (approx 18 pills). I told them that there was a bad one in about every 8-10 bullets and they wrote back to me and said they shot some 1/2" 5 shot groups with the bullets I sent. I said, yeah, I shoot the same size groups with my rifle, but your bullets are coming apart and going sideways through the target. "It's not my rifle either, it's your bullets"....!!!!!:mad:
jcz0m0s.jpg

Yeah, I might have to start buying Sierra's or Lapua scenars...... It all depends on how snotty Hornady wants to be.. I told them to use their words wisely on the next email I receive...

Last Edited:
Yeah, I might have to start buying Sierra's or Lapua scenars...... It all depends on how snotty Hornady wants to be.. I told them to use their words wisely on the next email I receive...[/QUOTE]

I have found Success with the 155 Eld-m in my .308 but only at 2500 fps. When I send them faster everything opens up. But Sierra 77gr.-.224, 107gr-6mm, and 168, 175-.30 are dependable in my experiences.

Berger 168 classic hunters behave like Sierra's. And the 185 Juggernauts loaded by Federal shoot well, but they kick like a mule for a .308.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top