JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to purchase 6-10 steel targets that I can set up around my property and leave set up all the time. The targets will be hung from either existing trees and fence posts or dedicated T-posts. I will use cable or chain to hang the targets.

Range will be up to 400 yards, but most in the 100-200 yard range. I am thinking roughly 12" targets might be a good size since even at 400 yards that is 3 MOA. The primary calibers that these will be used for is .308, .223, 9mm and .22.

It would be really nice to have AR500 ISPC targets, but at $200 each, that is outside of my budget. I am looking to be under $100/target and closer to $50 would be nice. Is there anything in that price range that fits my needs?

A simple goog search came back with every single 12" gong (both 12" and3/8") well within your parameters. Am I misunderstanding?

I am looking to purchase 6-10 steel targets that I can set up around my property and leave set up all the time. The targets will be hung from either existing trees and fence posts or dedicated T-posts. I will use cable or chain to hang the targets.

Range will be up to 400 yards, but most in the 100-200 yard range. I am thinking roughly 12" targets might be a good size since even at 400 yards that is 3 MOA. The primary calibers that these will be used for is .308, .223, 9mm and .22.

It would be really nice to have AR500 ISPC targets, but at $200 each, that is outside of my budget. I am looking to be under $100/target and closer to $50 would be nice. Is there anything in that price range that fits my needs?
Look up XSteel on line.

Shootsteel.com

My 3/4" AR550 plate wasn't even $100 shipped and it has taken .50bmg like a champ. They also list a cartridge/distance rating for different plate thicknesses on their site

I bought the cheapest 1/2" AR500 targets I could find. They did great with my 44 mag and 50 ae hand guns at 20 yards. Then one of my brilliant buddies decided to open up with a clip of 180gr FMJ out of his M1 Garand. He blew my eye screws out of the 2x4, a piece of my heavy trucker chain in half and one of the mounting bolts out of the mounting eye on the target leaving it all in a pile on the ground. Not even a mark on the AR500 targets though.

1/2" x 12" AR500 targets are HEAVY! I wouldn't want 3/4" targets, too heavy and it wouldn't make a difference, up to 30-06 at least from what I have seen.

I think I would leave them well painted if they are going to be permanently outside to keep the rust at bay.

This is one of the sets of targets I purchased. I purchased another set of 1/2" targets from another place but can't find the info at the moment:

2022-12-12_120541.jpg

This was the cheapest price I could find at the time.

Their prices have gone up but they still look like a heck of a good deal... especially when you figure in the free shipping.

Last Edited:
I've got a set of AR500 1/2" plates that have seen tens if not hundreds of thousands rounds through them. Everything from 22, to 338lm has hit them. They are my most valued investment. They will last forever I'd say.

For longevity, especially if you are going to leave them outside, I'd highly recommend 1/2" plates.

I've got a set of AR500 1/2" plates that have seen tens if not hundreds of thousands rounds through them. Everything from 22, to 338lm has hit them. They are my most valued investment. They will last forever I'd say.

For longevity, especially if you are going to leave them outside, I'd highly recommend 1/2" plates.
Ummm... You ARE aware the bullets are not supposed to go through them... right??

They wont last long if they do, so.... you must be fibbin... 😜

I agree though. 3/8" and 1/2" are my go to as well. You never know when some jackwad is going to show up and want to throw something at your gongs they really aren't rated for.

(Only my friends are allowed to call me "jackwad" 👍)

Last Edited:
A simple goog search came back with every single 12" gong (both 12" and3/8") well within your parameters. Am I misunderstanding?
Apparently I was looking up the wrong thing. I had not looked up "gong" specifically and was getting a lot of square steel targets which seem to start around $100. I also saw a lot that looked like a good price, but they were showing the least expensive 3" target and when selecting the 12" it got expensive.

Searching "gong" is more inline with what I was hoping.

Ummm... You ARE aware the bullets are not supposed to go through them... right??

They wont last long if they do, so.... you must be fibbin... 😜

I agree though. 3/8" and 1/2" are my go to as well. You never know when some jackwad is going to show up and want to throw something at your gongs they really aren't rated for.

(Only my friends are allowed to call me "jackwad" 👍)
Lol, good catch.

Only had one steel target penetrated by an incendiary 7.62x54r back in the mosin days. It was likely not AR500. It was one of those Jack type flippers. We were pinging it at 100 with irons and I got squirrelly and loaded up some incendiaries to see what would happen. Clean through. I want to say it was 3/8".

OP look at AR500 solutions on Amazon too. Not so much for their targets, but they have some of the best target stands for the money.

OP look at AR500 solutions on Amazon too. Not so much for their targets, but they have some of the best target stands for the money.
For this set up I don't really need stands. As I said I will use existing tree/fence posts or run some new T-posts in. I will then use chain or cable to attache the target.

For this set up I don't really need stands. As I said I will use existing tree/fence posts or run some new T-posts in. I will then use chain or cable to attache the target.
They carry a good amount of tpost stands.

As an example

If ya really want low cost just go to the scrap yard. 3/8-1/2 is reasonably priced and easy to work with. Some torch, welding and grinder work and I had some very low cost steel targets. Perfect especially for 200+ yards.

They carry a good amount of tpost stands.

As an example
Those are cool, but over $100 each.

My plan is to just use a piece of cable strung between 2 posts. Depending on how I mount the cable and target I am likely looking at $10 worth of hardware per target. I have a pile of scrap cable laying around.

If ya really want low cost just go to the scrap yard. 3/8-1/2 is reasonably priced and easy to work with. Some torch, welding and grinder work and I had some very low cost steel targets. Perfect especially for 200+ yards.
I am will have to look into this. I do have a bucket of scrap brass that I need to take in some day. Again many of the shots will be under 200 yards, but even with mild steel I am assuming it would take a lot of rounds before being so damaged they would not work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews