JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Eaton and NV4500's have an overdrive. Something the old, but very strong 4 spds lack.
Comparing any of the little case transfer cases to a 205 is like comparing a pretzel to a steel I beam. None to be made. In low gear the torque of that Cad would shear the teeth if the tires even thought they hopped. (Wheel hop with big tires breaks more sh!t than horsepower ever will)
The Atlas can be ordered with a 4:1 low range, which is a huge benefit, and is pretty light. Until you've worked something like that off road you have no idea how useful that low of a ratio is.

My 65 Ford is not at all stock. 408 inch Windsor (351), ZF S5-47 with a 5.72 first gear and .76 5th, bolted to an NP205 feeding a high pinion 60 in the front with a Powr-Lok and a Dana 70 in the rear with a Detroit Locker, both with 4.56s. On the shelf, waiting for the opportunity when I can pull the truck apart for a while is a "Black Box". It's made by NW Fab out of Canada. It basically is the planetary low range out of a late model Dodge NP271 built into a billet aluminum housing that sandwiches between the transmission and transfer case, adding another 2.76:1 reduction in gear ratios (and 8" in length). Calculated 1st gear ratio in double low, going thru 4:56 diff gears makes a whopping 139:1!
The Willys pickup is a much better start than a CJ, just because of the wheel base. That allows enough room to stick a long engine/trans/Tcase package and still have decent rear driveline angles. Plus, long wheel base trucks handle most obstacles, like stair steps up a hill much better then a stubby 90" WB.

The Cad 500, all stock with a good Q-Jet (probably the BEST off road carb) would be a very good truck/off road engine. The down sides being weight and size.

If it were me, I'd reverse the shackles on the front springs (solid mount the front, shackle at the rear). That will make a big difference in the way the truck drives, especially if the tires are large. There's probably kits available to do this, but it's a pretty easy fab. Just be sure to put the shackle pivot thru the frame, not under, unless you're jacking it to the moon. Take a look at any 70's GM truck for mental picture. A Saginaw power steering box is a good add, too. I thing the Van and large cars give the best specimens for a swap.

Sounds like a good plan, @Ura-Ki . 👍
Orygun,

Do you do much rock crawling with that much gear?
I just did the math and with a 600 rpm low idle and 35's, that would be .45 mph @ 139:1 Low-Low-Low.
So, technically, you could get out of your truck, run around the front, spot yourself, and get back in, without having to stop.
That's handy if you're bouldering. =)

Orygun,

Do you do much rock crawling with that much gear?
I just did the math and with a 600 rpm low idle and 35's, that would be .45 mph @ 139:1 Low-Low-Low.
So, technically, you could get out of your truck, run around the front, spot yourself, and get back in, without having to stop.
That's handy if you're bouldering. =)
The transmission has more than one gear, ya know. ;) The 408 has way too much cam in it now and doesn't idle that low. It was a cam I had and wanted to use it for a while, just because I could. It really runs from 3-5000 and will pull you ears off in that range, but it's really crappy down low. It sounds bad-a$$ at idle, though. There's a new hydraulic roller on the shelf that will go in when the truck comes apart for the Black Box. It will probably idle lower than 600 and will make power from there to 5 grand. Then it will be an ideal truck/tractor engine. I've done several Holley and FiTech installs on other cars and they certainly have their attributes. Cost, however, isn't one of them! It's on the very short list of further upgrades.
The Black Box isn't in yet. But when it is I wouldn't be surprised if 2nd and 3rd get used more than 1st in double low. I also use the truck as a tractor on our tree farm. The ability to keep tire speed stupidly slow sure helps to keep from chewing up the ground.

Created new coasters yesterday. Need to do a few others still, but I love playing with the laser.

20230131_163752.jpg

Yep. Ya got me goin now. I'm thinking of a hostile takeover of the dining room table so I can spread out the tools, patterns, stains and scraps. I visited my page in the Media Gallery and it reminded me of how much I miss leatherwork. Take a peak, if you like: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/media/users/cogs.20065/

Problem is, it takes a lot of whiskey to make that stuff! :s0032:

What wouldja charge for sump'n like that? Say, a SIG guy wanted a set of 4... for his home bar... as a conversation starter... yunno.

Just curious...
I have my posts deleted where I listed something like this for sale because NWFA wants me to pay $50 a month for my hobby if I sell them. Supporting Vendor going rate I guess.
Can't post a price on here. Sorry

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top