JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of us keep multiple reading glasses strewn about the house in case we forget to bring the "main pair" with us.
Sobo has multiple bottles of Whiskey strewn about the house, in case he forgets to bring his "main bottle" with him. ;)
With every bottle of booze stashed about Maison Sobo, there's a loaded smokewagon paired with it... Priorities, yunno...

My trailer as I was finishing it, my CR cummins I rebuilt, and my wood splitter almost finished. All are fully operational now, not sure why I don't take finished pictures.

20221203_102302.jpg 20220613_153227.jpg 20200929_122426.jpg

Just scored one of these two days ago, gonna be a pretty slick project!
1671083656434.png

Now to chase down the various parts I'm going to need. Wanting to find some of the up- scale stainless trim, maybe some of the Jeepster stuff or the Wagoneer for it!

I fixed up one years ago, A 1955 rust free Willy's pick up that was stored in an Idaho desert barn.
If you're going to keep the original running gear, you should try and locate a Warn Overdrive that bolts right onto the back of the transfer case.
You then have a high and low gear ratio for each gear. You do end up with another shifter lever in the cab.
The brakes on these are junk, they use a small cam bolt to set each brake shoe and they have a tendency to back off when you brake real hard.
MG Midget electric wiper motors are a must to replace the worthless cable driven vacuum wipers.
On my rig, I installed a Chevy straight 6 cyl 250 motor, a Ford Top loader three speed tranny, mated up to the engine with a custom adapter.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have installed a SBC along with an automatic transmission, as the Jeep transfer case has straight cut gears and when you get up to hwy speeds the whine is horrible on long drives.
I found that out when driving to Mexico pulling a vintage 15' Shasta trailer from Oregon one winter.
Plus, I installed power steering, along with boxing the front of the frame to avoid twisting it when turning at slow speeds.

I fixed up one years ago, A 1955 rust free Willy's pick up that was stored in an Idaho desert barn.
If you're going to keep the original running gear, you should try and locate a Warn Overdrive that bolts right onto the back of the transfer case.
You then have a high and low gear ratio for each gear. You do end up with another shifter lever in the cab.
The brakes on these are junk, they use a small cam bolt to set each brake shoe and they have a tendency to back off when you brake real hard.
MG Midget electric wiper motors are a must to replace the worthless cable driven vacuum wipers.
On my rig, I installed a Chevy straight 6 cyl 250 motor, a Ford Top loader three speed tranny, mated up to the engine with a custom adapter.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have installed a SBC along with an automatic transmission, as the Jeep transfer case has straight cut gears and when you get up to hwy speeds the whine is horrible on long drives.
I found that out when driving to Mexico pulling a vintage 15' Shasta trailer from Oregon one winter.
Plus, I installed power steering, along with boxing the front of the frame to avoid twisting it when turning at slow speeds.
I got plans!
Have a 500 Caddy engine to pick up this weekend, and a 3/4 Ton Chevy Axles! Plans for a Eaton Truck 5 speed and Atlas T-case to finish it off, along with power steering and brakes!!

Made this up yesterday.

aPTmXz6l.jpg

Gc38lpOl.jpg

A late 1870's J.M. Marlin action, and later 1880's barrel and stocks I bought yesterday from a friend. To my surprise the barrel indexed up perfectly to my action, and just some minor work on the breech block to fit it to this barrel. Then some minor work on stock inletting with a file and it too fit up perfectly! Same for the forearm with a few minutes file work to make the attachment screw hole align with the barrel.
This is the first Ballard barrel I've ever had fit without major reworking! Like winning the lottery to have one index up properly without a lot of work, and rechambering. The barrel is in .38 Long, which is easily reloaded for using .38 Special cases, and dies, but with a .360" heeled base bullet. I have these molds already, so nothing needed beyond casting them up!

Just scored one of these two days ago, gonna be a pretty slick project!
View attachment 1330500

Now to chase down the various parts I'm going to need. Wanting to find some of the up- scale stainless trim, maybe some of the Jeepster stuff or the Wagoneer for it!
I got plans!
Have a 500 Caddy engine to pick up this weekend, and a 3/4 Ton Chevy Axles! Plans for a Eaton Truck 5 speed and Atlas T-case to finish it off, along with power steering and brakes!!
...so I guess you won't be needing this info...

1946CJ2A_EngineSpecs.jpg

...however, if you need any body/suspension/drivetrain info, let me know, I'll send you the necessary pages.

Last Edited:
...and if you decide to keep it original and it's got the Continental engine instead...

1936-1946ContinentalEngineSpecs.jpg

I've got a Big A manual for your 500 Caddy too, but its buried right now, so if you need the info, I'll dig it out then. =)

...and if you decide to keep it original and it's got the Continental engine instead...

View attachment 1330661

I've got a Big A manual for your 500 Caddy too, but its buried right now, so if you need the info, I'll dig it out then. =)
The Caddy manual might be handy to have about! Pretty simple engine, but it's always good having all the info anyway! I'm not doing a hotrod build, more a heavy truck/tons of axle twisting Torque build!

I got plans!
GM 10.5" "14 Bolt"
Dana 60
Ford Sterling
All good ones.
302 Ford (5 Liter) is narrow and fits those engine bays well.
I did a 302 into a 1957 CJ5

"Drivin' up Grapevine Hill, passin' cars like they were standin' still."

The Caddy manual might be handy to have about! Pretty simple engine, but it's always good having all the info anyway! I'm not doing a hotrod build, more a heavy truck/tons of axle twisting Torque build!
You might also be interested in https://cad500parts.com/ and https://cadillacspeedshop.com/cadillac-472-500/
I remember that the 500 Caddy liked fool injekshun, too.
An otherwise stock mill got a nice little bump in power, better driveability and better mileage as a result.
Rob the factory unit off a junkyard car, or maybe a Holley Sniper kit.

...btw..."Plans for a Eaton Truck 5 speed and Atlas T-case to finish it off..."

Those trucks were optioned with a T98 Granny first 4-speed, which is actually a Borg-Warner T-18, but an SM 465 or 420 might be the order of the day (GM-spec NP435 would work, too), since it would be GM mating to GM. Fewer headaches that way. Just remember to get a BOP bellhousing, because it's Cadillac.
Mate that to a Dana 20 or an NP 205 and you've got a pretty bullet-proof drivetrain.

Last Edited:
GM 10.5" "14 Bolt"
Dana 60
Ford Sterling
All good ones.
302 Ford (5 Liter) is narrow and fits those engine bays well.
I did a 302 into a 1957 CJ5

"Drivin' up Grapevine Hill, passin' cars like they were standin' still."
My daddy said, 'son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin', if you don't stop drivin' that.....302 IN A JEEP?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!
;):D

I still have this idea that just won't go away vehicle-wise...

CJ5- TJ sized vehicle.. not full size truck or SUV

H1/HMMWV Hummvee portal hubs and 4 wheel independent axles.

Basically an updated M151 Mutt that uses the same half-shafts as the H1 and portal hubs.. Definitely need custom frame and A-arms...

In other words... a 2 door Jeep Wrangler bodied UTV/SXS ATV with military driveline and hubs :D

Can be straight 6 gas, or small v8 or Buick v6..

Edit. I can't be the only one with this crazy idea :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top