JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still have this idea that just won't go away vehicle-wise...

CJ5- TJ sized vehicle.. not full size truck or SUV

H1/HMMWV Hummvee portal hubs and 4 wheel independent axles.

Basically an updated M151 Mutt that uses the same half-shafts as the H1 and portal hubs.. Definitely need custom frame and A-arms...

In other words... a 2 door Jeep Wrangler bodied UTV/SXS ATV with military driveline and hubs :D

Can be straight 6 gas, or small v8 or Buick v6..

Edit. I can't be the only one with this crazy idea :p
Replace the Jeep part and you would be on to something.... cause well Jeeps are way to played out these days.

Better pictures of the splitter, it's almost finished. Need to add the cylinder for the wedge adjustment and it will be done. Also my three boys running it through the paces for the first time last weekend.

20221217_134930.jpg 20221215_074141.jpg 20221215_074123.jpg

Replace the Jeep part and you would be on to something.... cause well Jeeps are way to played out these days.
And there's still only one Jeep Wrangler with Independent Suspension as far as I know....... :p edit. There's oy one outfit offering IFS but not 4 wheel independent :rolleyes: edit 2. Rego of Israel offers a 4 wheel conversion but it uses stock Jeep pattern hubs, brakes, wheels. Looks closer to a beefy ATV/UTV than a beefed up M151... hmm.

Last Edited:
You might also be interested in https://cad500parts.com/ and https://cadillacspeedshop.com/cadillac-472-500/
I remember that the 500 Caddy liked fool injekshun, too.
An otherwise stock mill got a nice little bump in power, better driveability and better mileage as a result.
Rob the factory unit off a junkyard car, or maybe a Holley Sniper kit.

...btw..."Plans for a Eaton Truck 5 speed and Atlas T-case to finish it off..."

Those trucks were optioned with a T98 Granny first 4-speed, which is actually a Borg-Warner T-18, but an SM 465 or 420 might be the order of the day (GM-spec NP435 would work, too), since it would be GM mating to GM. Fewer headaches that way. Just remember to get a BOP bellhousing, because it's Cadillac.
Mate that to a Dana 20 or an NP 205 and you've got a pretty bullet-proof drivetrain
This guy knows what he's talkin' about ^^^^
Had a T98 in a V6 Jeepster.
Had SM420 and SM465 in pickups.
I think I liked SM465 the best.
NP205 is nice for a gear-driven transfer case.
IIRC, kind of high geared, so you'd need deep gears in the punkins.

That Caddy motor is going to be wide for that narrow engine bay.

Thank you sir, it was a hell of a lot of work and pretty expensive but that truck will last me a long time now. Still not sure I'd do it again thou.
I hear ya, I plan do to some major overhaul on my truck in the near future. Not excited about how expensive parts are. My truck is equipped with a 6 speed manual that will need servicing too 😑 going to start an onlyfans to help..

I didn't think the 304 in my 78' cj7 renegade was that powerful. Same as any other small v8 of the time. Side pipes were loud at drive through speakers as I recall. Enough power to pull up most any jeep trail incline.

I remember front end wandered quite a bit and sometimes when driving at night oncoming cars would pass right in front of you. Because the headlights were so close together it looks to them like you are a long ways away. I liked the Levi's interior on that thing, that was pretty cool. Gas tank was so rusty it leaked. That rig was bad for rust. Mine was a stick shift but was so long ago I can't remember if it was 4 speed or 5 speed. It was a fun rig.

Too bad jeep is now owned by fiat and a lot of them are made in Italy and Mexico. Fiat does not have a good rep. I think fiat 500s are made in same factory as current renegade. Rented a $50k+ jeep that had low miles and front end was shot on that thing. I think it was one year old or so. Anemic engine to say the least. Not a fan of the newer ones at all personally. Old ones are great fun. Used to have a wagoneer, cj7, Cherokee, Comanche pickup. Liked all of them.

I had a 304 in a CJ5 when I was in high school. Holy heck. It had a fiberglass Hood and it would pull wheelies :p. It was a 76 or a 78 I can't remember. We had a lot of fun in that jeep.
The guy who taught me to build those Tiderunner boats, when I worked for them, was a Fiberglasser from way back.
In the 70's, he had a business making fiberglass Jeep parts.
I wonder if your hood wasn't laid up by him.

This guy knows what he's talkin' about ^^^^
Had a T98 in a V6 Jeepster.
Had SM420 and SM465 in pickups.
I think I liked SM465 the best.
NP205 is nice for a gear-driven transfer case.
IIRC, kind of high geared, so you'd need deep gears in the punkins.

That Caddy motor is going to be wide for that narrow engine bay.
Wow, high praise indeed....I'll take it, too (thanks, check's in the mail :s0155:). ;)
As for the transfer case, the numbers you're thinking of are 1.96:1.
205 and the Dana 20 both used that ratio (although there was a rare "Bronco only" version of the Dana 20 that used the same 2.48:1 ratio that the older Spicer 18 had. Only with a 200 six and, I believe, only in 1965 and/or 1966).
I forgot about the Dana 300 when I wrote about that, though. Another gear driven TC, and favoured over the other two because of its 2.61:1 low range.
My former '65 big window GMC had the 420. Fun tranny to play with.
I built a crap load of 435's when I worked for U-Haul. They had a habit of welding 2nd gear to the main shaft, but when you never change the fluids (or even check them), these things can happen.
Only time I ever saw someone snap a gear shift lever in half. They didn't know how to drive a tranny with a non-synchro granny first. :s0124: :D

Last Edited:
Got the Caddy all tore down and ready for the Machine Shop to have at it, so far, nothing stands out as an issue! Got the Eaton 5 speed all cleaned up and a bearing and seal set ordered up, took the shifter plate off to have a look see down in side, and drained the oil out of it, didn't see anything to be concerned with, but will knock it apart and give it the full once over! Everyone gets all hot about the "New" NV-4500 series 5 speed boxes, and they ether don't know, or forget that these older Eaton/Clark 5 speeds are every bit as tough, slightly shorter, and have the higher over drive ratio gear, along with the lower compound low 1st gear, they adapt to pretty much any transfer case you would want to run, so I just need to figure out which one I'm going to run, likely the Dana 300. The previous owner told me the axles were GM 3/4 ton, I don't know what they came out of, but the rear AINT G.M. it looks Ford/Dodge pattern Dana 60, and the front is Dana 44 high steer, and it's gonna get new HD knuckles when I dig into them to narrow the track width and do aftermarket axles and lockers and gears! The owner also told me the Engine was a 350 SBC Chevy, I havn't ran the casting numbers yet, but I doubt its a 350, it don't pull all that hard, probably a tired 327 or a 305/307, it hardly scratches the tires unless it's in gravel! LOL
Found ALL the grill chrome cross bars and the top center as well as the big center hood trim, and I also found the strait side stainless trim pieces, so will clean them all up and get ready for install after body and paint! Still need to figure out my steering and brakes, I'm thinking one of the Fat Man Fab under floor Vette brake booster kits with Master cylinder is going to be the way to go as this big 500 is awful tight under the hood. LOL

Good idea to tear into the trans. If nothing else, it'll at least get all new gaskets and seals, because it would really suck to have your truck all put together and the next day there's a couple of drips on the floor because NOW the gaskets/seals decide to start failing.
Block pad will tell you what kind of engine you have. Run the number through Google and it'll link to something that'll give you an answer.
Go twin stick, when you get that 300. You're welcome. =)

Good idea to tear into the trans. If nothing else, at least it'll have all new gaskets and seals, because it would really suck to have your truck all put together and the next day there's a couple of drips on the floor because NOW the gaskets/seals decide to start failing.
Block pad will tell you what kind of engine you have. Run the number through Google and it'll link to something that'll give you an answer.
Go twin stick, when you get that 300. You're welcome. =)
:s0155:

Would an aluminum long wheelbase tub for a Samurai be a good "start" to the nutty Hummvee 4w independent suspension & portal hubs & half shaft idea? :s0140: or would I be better off looking for a "kinda rusty, kinda ok" project body? 🤔

Would an aluminum long wheelbase tub for a Samurai be a good "start" to the nutty Hummvee 4w independent suspension & portal hubs & half shaft idea? :s0140: or would I be better off looking for a "kinda rusty, kinda ok" project body? 🤔
Your biggest issue is gonna be width! That Hummer setup is W-I-D-E as heck! Even a Full size Pickup would have the tires way outside the fenders! At that point, you might as well build a tube frame buggy type rig Mad Max style, which would be cool as heck!

M1165 track width 71.6 inches. This is tire center to tire center though; overall width is anywhere from 84 to 86 inches. I see that the widest full size 1 ton axles are 70 inches flange to flange; so it might not look as ridiculously wide as one thinks..

Edit. I've seen people mount H1 portal hubs to full size Dana 60 axles and put them under Wranglers...

Remote Control armed surveillance robot.

It fights raccoons.

Started with a 1/16 R/C Truck
Upgraded to brushless 2435 4800KV Motor/ESC and 3 channel Flysky Transmitter
3rd channel controls a relay that feeds 7.2v power to the 6mm internals pulled from an airsoft ar-15
Barrel cut down, refitted to a custom 3D printed 3 piece frame designed around the airsoft internal
Raspberry PI4 control for wifi IR camera.
10000mah usb-c battery bank for raspberry..sits low between wheels for low COG
R/C battery is 7.4v 2S / 50C / 5200mah
The pc board in front is a homemade audio amplifier wired to a small speaker behind the camera lense. It's used to pipe animal sounds remotely through the raspberry.

GreenBot.jpg

The Eaton and NV4500's have an overdrive. Something the old, but very strong 4 spds lack.
Comparing any of the little case transfer cases to a 205 is like comparing a pretzel to a steel I beam. None to be made. In low gear the torque of that Cad would shear the teeth if the tires even thought they hopped. (Wheel hop with big tires breaks more sh!t than horsepower ever will)
The Atlas can be ordered with a 4:1 low range, which is a huge benefit, and is pretty light. Until you've worked something like that off road you have no idea how useful that low of a ratio is.

My 65 Ford is not at all stock. 408 inch Windsor (351), ZF S5-47 with a 5.72 first gear and .76 5th, bolted to an NP205 feeding a high pinion 60 in the front with a Powr-Lok and a Dana 70 in the rear with a Detroit Locker, both with 4.56s. On the shelf, waiting for the opportunity when I can pull the truck apart for a while is a "Black Box". It's made by NW Fab out of Canada. It basically is the planetary low range out of a late model Dodge NP271 built into a billet aluminum housing that sandwiches between the transmission and transfer case, adding another 2.76:1 reduction in gear ratios (and 8" in length). Calculated 1st gear ratio in double low, going thru 4:56 diff gears makes a whopping 139:1!
The Willys pickup is a much better start than a CJ, just because of the wheel base. That allows enough room to stick a long engine/trans/Tcase package and still have decent rear driveline angles. Plus, long wheel base trucks handle most obstacles, like stair steps up a hill much better than a stubby 90" WB.

The Cad 500, all stock with a good Q-Jet (probably the BEST off road carb) would be a very good truck/off road engine. The down sides being weight and size.

If it were me, I'd reverse the shackles on the front springs (solid mount the front, shackle at the rear). That will make a big difference in the way the truck drives, especially if the tires are large. There's probably kits available to do this, but it's a pretty easy fab. Just be sure to put the shackle pivot thru the frame, not under, unless you're jacking it to the moon. Take a look at any 70's GM truck for mental picture. A Saginaw power steering box is a good add, too. I think the Van and large cars give the best specimens for a swap.

Sounds like a good plan, @Ura-Ki . 👍

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews