JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This heavy little sweetie has me hooked on 22 mag. They're supposedly more accurate with mag than lr, but I got about the same. Not super into the fiber sight.

IMG_4957.jpeg

Posted this 1968 Highway Patrolman in another thread but might as well here too. Box is not original to the gun, but wooden grips are. Speed Loaders are fun too. I was shooting it before the weather went to crap out here and the rear sight got loose. Its bit beat up I may replace it, either way I gotta get to the range and fix it, then see if its gonna stay put. The guy I got it from told me the biggest problem with the gun was its owner. He admitted he did not take the best care of it. He was a great friend and I will probably have this one forever.

Also a 1977 (I think) Second Amendment Colt 22 Cal that I have but have not shot. Someone before me did and its a bit scratched up, so its a shooter quality gun. I was thinking bout selling it or trading it for something I like better, like a SMITH!! Not much of Colt guy although I do have a Detective Special and a New Service 45 Long Colt around here somewhere. Heck maybe I am a Colt guy too.

IMG_3440.jpeg IMG_3281.jpeg

I switched grips on the Model 10 yesterday and snapped this pic. I shoulda grabbed the 642 and threw it in there, too.

View attachment 1802391
There's probably not a better thread to ask this question.
The set shown on the 686 (left) is the third set of grips I've had on it. The original grips are probably the best, the Houge factory rubbery grip, but I like it a bit better when the grip follows the round butt frame. The next set was a smooth wood set, but they were way too big.
The set on the gun in this picture is a set of Altamonts. I like the way they look and the fore/aft dimension on the grip is about right, but they swell too much to fit how I want. What I'm really looking for is a set closer to the Houge wood grips on the 60 (right), which are quite a bit thinner in cross section.
Does any one know what the Houge wood grips for the L-Frame are like in comparison?

There's probably not a better thread to ask this question.
The set shown on the 686 (left) is the third set of grips I've had on it. The original grips are probably the best, the Houge factory rubbery grip, but I like it a bit better when the grip follows the round butt frame. The next set was a smooth wood set, but they were way too big.
The set on the gun in this picture is a set of Altamonts. I like the way they look and the fore/aft dimension on the grip is about right, but they swell too much to fit how I want. What I'm really looking for is a set closer to the Houge wood grips on the 60 (right), which are quite a bit thinner in cross section.
Does any one know what the Houge wood grips for the L-Frame are like in comparison?
I have several K/L frame Hogue Hardwoods and they seem to fit my hand quite similar to the rubber ones. I'm a big fan.
Here's one on a model 66 K-frame, which is the same as is used on the L-frame.

With Hogue 19821 Cocobolo.jpg

A few wheel guns to look at.
S&W 16-4 .32, single six 22., Ruger blackhawk .357, Dan wesson .357,
Dan wesson .44 mag, S&W k frame .22, Original Remington new model 1858, Iver johnson .38 s&w.

20240220_093257.jpg

Last Edited:
Here's an S & W Model 17-2, manufacture date 1966. A regular 17-2, not a 3 T model. There's a tiny surface scratch on the left side of the barrel otherwise it's darn near perfect. I brought it home yesterday and finally had a chance to thoroughly inspect it and I'm delighted. ( not a word I use often) It's been shot, but not a lot.
It had Pachmayr grips on it and they had to go. I found a set of appropriate stocks on fleabay and those go on it when they arrive. I'm pretty sure it came originally with Magna diamond grips but I bought correct period diamond checkered target stocks for it.
20240315_102132.jpg 20240315_102119.jpg

I bought correct vintage diamond checkered stocks and they showed up this morning. It probably had Magnas on it when it was new but these were available as a factory option. That's close enough for me.

20240316_093604.jpg 20240316_093621.jpg

I bought correct vintage diamond checkered stocks and they showed up this morning. It probably had Magnas on it when it was new but these were available as a factory option. That's close enough for me.
Mine has correctly-numbered diamond Magnas, but if I find the right deal on a set of diamond targets they'll likely get purchased.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews