JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Betcha they would do very well if it was a guns fer crack trade instead of a cash card.:s0112:

Yeah, and you can bet the number of gun thefts would go up about 800%.

Wait, maybe Sam would propose that, it would give him a lovely BS excuse for a storage requirements ordinance.

Am I understanding correctly that the gift certificates are being donated and not purchased with public funds? If the mayor is already wasting tax payer time and there is potential tax payer money at waste even more angry emails need to go out.

I have not read the specifics of this proposed "buyback", but in the past the CeasefireOregon gun buyups were done with entirely private donations. HOWEVER, two or three Portland Police officers were on duty there for security for the entire day, no doubt on overtime, and two or three police cars were parked there at each buyup location. AND nobody has ever accounted for the all of the government staff time spent in coordinating/scheduling/publicizing etc. It adds up!

I have mixed feelings about these buyups. It is good that unwanted guns can be easily and safely turned over with no questions asked. But, it is bad that taxpayers have to fund at least some of it......................elsullo :confused:

How much do they buy them for? Below face value, no way. Above face value, yes way. Turn in gun, receive cash, go out and buy same gun again plus ammo with extra cash, stimulate the economy, win win.

They may not check ID but they do a very thorough video of everyone in line. They are taking their time to do the video getting your face and the gun you have. I know this first hand. Even though I have no reason for concern I didn't appreciate it. Things may have changed as that was in the 90's but it's kind of a slime ball thing to do if you ask me considering they say they don't ask for ID.

If there are 25+ guns waiting to be turned in, wouldn't this automatically classify the turn-in as a 'gun show'?

At that point, the sheeple are violating the law by not doing the required background check!

Book-em, Danno! :p

Oakland CA had a simmular program, they were paying $250! cash for each gun. 2 local gun dealers showed up, first in line with all the crap they had collected over the years, about 60 guns. The program was a bust, they ran out of money so they started issuing IOU's, to the tune of $170,000!

Need more people to turn in prop guns like this:

Gun "Buyback" LASD gets owned buys fake ARs - Calguns.net

Hmmmmmm !

Civilian assault-style rifles

(Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times / December 29, 2009)
Old, rusty civilian versions of military assault rifles are stacked up in a shopping cart. One man who declined to be interviewed or identified exchanged a cache of 58 handguns and rifles that netted him $5,800 worth of gift cards.

PHOTOS: Trading guns for gifts - latimes.com

28lxls5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are "Jager" .22 rifles.

I don't know how much they run for, but probably from somebody in the entertainment industry who bought a bunch for a movie in the 70s or 80s.

Read the threads, guys.

This may have been already posted...

Portland mayor to announce gun buy-back event scheduled for December
Published: Monday, November 15, 2010, 12:23 AM Updated: Monday, November 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Maxine Bernstein, The Oregonian

As Mayor Sam Adams prepares to bring to City Council on Thursday five proposed ordinances to stem shootings through gun-control regulations and stiffer juvenile curfews, he's expected to also announce today a gun buy-back event scheduled for the second week in December.

The mayor said on Friday he'd announce the exact date and location today. The December date, Adams said, should draw plenty of gun owners who may looking for extra shopping money for the holidays.

Ceasefire Oregon hosted 15 annual gun turn-in events since 1994, but had to discontinue the event two years ago because lack of donations. For each firearm turned in, residents receive a merchandise gift certificate.

At its last Nov. 1, 2008 gun turn-in event, the group ran out of gift certificates and funds before it could "buy back" everyone's guns, causing many people to take their guns back home. In each of the last five turn-ins, including two in 2007, Ceasefire Oregon received 95 to 124 guns per turn-in, according to its website. The total number of guns received since 1994 are 7,161.

Portland Cmdr. Dave Benson said police do not check the identification of those who turn in guns.

"The whole purpose of gun turn-ins is no questions are asked,'' Benson said. "This is an anonymous gun turn-in.''

Ceasefire Oregon cites these reasons for turning in a gun:

• Young, lively, curious children are at your home.
• Someone in your family or a friend or neighbor is suffering from depression.
• The firearm cannot be properly stored.
• The gun was left by an earlier occupant of the house.
• You can't guarantee that someone else won't get the gun.
• You want to do something to reduce the number of gun accidents, suicides, and homicides.
• A gun in the home could kill or injure a family member or friend.
• You would rather have a gift certificate than the gun.

--Maxine Bernstein

Portland mayor to announce gun buy-back event scheduled for December | OregonLive.com
Adams, what a Jackhole!!

The last buy back I remember, they were giving $50 gift certificates to Fred Meyer. I would be perfectly willing to give them 3 or 4 non functioning low end air guns that I have lying around and put the certificates toward a new firearm at the Fred's that are now starting to sell guns again.

gary

I thought Portland was so flush with money they can afford to provide these wonderful services.:s0002: Something tells me the grabbers at ceasefire don't have much in the way of funds. If the city is spending money for the guns, let the angry emails fly.

they should be... remember Multnomah $1500 tax few years ago... :angry: I dont see how tax payer money should fund this. But i guess tax payer also pays for the police. Howerver this should not be taxpayer money for the certs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top