JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think it will ever happen. It's not worth the Police or courts time to even deal with these things.

We had a package stolen, video from the porch cam and everything, Sheriff took a statement over the phone and basically said they don't investigate these unless they have solid evidence and stolen goods worth at least $5k.

Porch pirates know this.

If this video is genuine, hopefully this perp is scared straight, but I sincerely doubt it.

I still maintain sitting around looking to escalate a situation with a deadly weapon would likely end up worse for the victim than the porch pirate.

What good are laws when criminals are protected from them. If the GOV isn't going to do their friggin jobs then it's up to society to take care of crimes committed against them.

Personally....
I believe in the use of force in the protection of property. And should it be necessary......"deadly force" is also a part of the continuum of force.

Think about "What If....."

You decide to confront the culprit at the low ready position.

The culprit drops the package.

You're surprised. Startled by the sound. Shocked perhaps.

And, the culprit quickly draws and fires at you.

You get hit (or not)....it's not really the point for now. So then.....will you be asking yourself later (assuming that you live). "Should I have approached, more tactically/ready to go?"

"Should I have just stayed inside and called 911?"

IMHO.....
If, having chosen to retrieve your property.....
Well.....just pointing or leveling your firearm at someone who is obviously "stealing your property". You're NOT the bad guy here. You need to be/should be in control of the situation and alert to the possibility that the culprit might even turn and attack you. So then, it shouldn't be a crime (or automatically frowned upon)......just because you've chosen to approach this matter with a more tactical mind set.

Of course......
Know_Your_Limitations.png

So feel FREE to solve the problem. Because I doubt that the POLICE will be coming in a reasonable amount of time.

Also....I'd bet that you'd feel safer with me on the jury. LOL. :D

BUT YEAH.....if it happens in PORTLANDIA. You're probably up s@^* creek w/o a paddle.

America.....
One law but different outcomes for different people. Rrrrright.....laws don't really matter much. What matters is.....who can play the victim better.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
As for the driver of the car?
Should the police bother to investigate this. Think about what the "get away driver's statement" might be.

With Miranda Rights given.

Driver: So I was driving down Main St. and this guy was hitch hiking. I think I seen him around before. Hell, I might have even gone to HS with him some years back. Anyway, I picked him up. Cause well.....I like to help people. So then anyway....I'm driving in the direction to where he told me his house was. Jim....yeah I think he said his name was Jim. So, Jim asked me to stop for a second. He needed to see a friend about some borrowed money. So I stopped the car....waiting on the street with the engine running. Cause he told me it would be a really short stop. He get's out and proceeds to the front door.

Then suddenly....some guy exits the door and he has a gun.

Oh bubblegum......I high tailed it outta there. I didn't know what was going on. All I know is.....I don't wanna get shot by some crazy guy. Then later 5-0 showed up at my door.

You think the DA will prosecute?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Picture this....
You're on vacation in Hawaii. Swimming in the warm, clear blue waters of a popular (but secluded) beach park. Your attention is drawn to your stuff on the beach.....there is someone near your beach bag. Oh bubblegum! Now that guy is running towards a waiting vehicle and he has your beach bag. You get out of the water quickly. Just in time to catch the lic plate of the vehicle as it drives away.

The police are called and given the lic plate number.

Yeah....it was easy to track down the registered owner of the car/driver. Guess what his statement was? Yup.....with only a little bit of modification (to the above driver's statement).

Last Edited:
I don't believe for one second that video (or similar ones) is genuine. WAY to convenient to just happen to catch them in the act, while armed, with a camera running.
I have video cameras on my front porch, back porch, side yard, back yard, patio, and driveways. They run and record 24-7.

The same thing would happen to thieves at my house.

Time to invent a patented porch pirate canon. Upon picking up package 2 gallons of ? sprays all over them. There are some cool videos of porch pirate bombs/boobybtraps on YouTube. The canon could be like those old bank robber guns (there wer posts on that here last year as I recall) but just launches ? Instead of bullets or bird shot.

Time to invent a patented porch pirate canon. Upon picking up package 2 gallons of ? sprays all over them. There are some cool videos of porch pirate bombs/boobybtraps on YouTube. The canon could be like those old bank robber guns (there wer posts on that here last year as I recall) but just launches ? Instead of bullets or bird shot.
Net launcher with pepper spray, indelible marker and then a cold water rinse. Perp is ready for popo pickup. :)

Cool. like some Spider-Man web thingamajiggy. Or maybe one of those nets that pulls them up into the air. But then you would have to deal with some goofball "hanging out" on ur porch.
Oh, I like that. Have a line attached high in a tree further away from the house so you can leave them hanging a few feet off the ground away from the porch. Now we need a spotlight and some humiliating music. Maybe X Gonna Give it to Ya? Or a Barney song.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top