JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Japcraplover,
Two big factors are noise and wind. You may need to aprk your rig 1/4-1/2 a mile away, no slamming doors, beeping key locks etc. A car driving in gravel on a still day can be heard for a LOOOOONNG way away. So be quiet & secretive. Wind direction is critical. A 1 mph wind can have your scent 1/4 mile away in 15 min so besure you are calling into the breeze but keeping an eye on downwind. Last thing: once you get settled into your stand, take the damned safety off!

If you are able to take a coyote with your .45 there will be a lot of people who will want to hear about it. Not that you can't, just that the difficulty factor will be significant.

Ok, I have to bite on this with my favorite coyote story. I was hunting antelope outside of Burns about 14 years ago. I was set up on a watering hole and had not seen anything for a good 6 hours. I was well camouflaged and sitting in a small juniper clump. A coyote came into view to my right and was following a trail that was going to bring him right in front of me. I reached into my pack and drew my Kimber and clicked off the safety. The coyote was clearly a pup and since it was late August he was probably just out on his own. He heard the click of the safety, but he kept coming in closer to see what I was. It was the last mistake he ever made. I took another one the next day while I was sitting in the bed of my truck eating lunch. Again, a pup trotted across the little two track I had driven down so I could look out over a large area below. I was eating a sandwich and enjoying the sun when the coyote came out of the sage about 20 feet away from the truck. He stopped about 15 yards to my right and just looked at me. Out came the Kimber and down went the coyote.

So, don't let anyone tell you the .45ACP is not a good coyote gun :). Just remember to hunt them in August when you will see all of the new pups out on their own and hungry.

For the next installment of my novel, I will tell you about the coyotes I have shot with my 45-70.

For a better chance at success you might want to actually use a .243 and a call, but keep the 1911 handy.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats awesome Mike! haha i always keep my .45 as a side arm in the woods not only for close range yoties, but you never really know whats watching you, if you catch my drift. there is the occasional cat around here and id rather carry a pistol for protection rather than another shotgun on my back. as for my yotie rifles, i have a 22-250 and also a Ruger .204. both are Ruger M77's, the 22-250 (oak stock) is an MKII and the .204 (green laminate) is a Hawkeye. happy hunting!

2013-01-30_15-49-34_961.jpg

2013-01-30_15-49-34_961.jpg

I deer hunt in the same area that I hunt coyotes. When I'm deer hunting I don't shoot at other animals because I don't want to make that much noise. I was sitting on a stand one morning recently and spotted a coyote meandering toward me. I sat motionless as he approached without any idea I was there. When he got to about 50 feet I clicked off the safety on my deer rifle to see what he would do. He just about turned inside out getting his direction of travel reversed. I was surprised because the click was barely audible to me with the rifle in my lap. I could easily have bagged that one with my .357 Mag pistol, which I always carry on the ranch no matter what I'm doing. There are quite a few big cats over there.

I use a different rifle for coyote hunting:

AR2.jpg

Since this picture was taken I've put a better scope on it, lowered the scope mounts, and installed a stainless bull barrel. Cerakote in high desert camo is on my wish list.

Ok, I have to bite on this with my favorite coyote story. I was hunting antelope outside of Burns about 14 years ago. I was set up on a watering hole and had not seen anything for a good 6 hours. I was well camouflaged and sitting in a small juniper clump. A coyote came into view to my right and was following a trail that was going to bring him right in front of me. I reached into my pack and drew my Kimber and clicked off the safety. The coyote was clearly a pup and since it was late August he was probably just out on his own. He heard the click of the safety, but he kept coming in closer to see what I was. It was the last mistake he ever made. I took another one the next day while I was sitting in the bed of my truck eating lunch. Again, a pup trotted across the little two track I had driven down so I could look out over a large area below. I was eating a sandwich and enjoying the sun when the coyote came out of the sage about 20 feet away from the truck. He stopped about 15 yards to my right and just looked at me. Out came the Kimber and down went the coyote.

So, don't let anyone tell you the .45ACP is not a good coyote gun :). Just remember to hunt them in August when you will see all of the new pups out on their own and hungry.

For the next installment of my novel, I will tell you about the coyotes I have shot with my 45-70.

For a better chance at success you might want to actually use a .243 and a call, but keep the 1911 handy.

Mike

.45 will certainly do the job if the right situation presents itself. But it's not the weapon of choice LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads