JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
first time small game varmint hunter here, and im goin yotie huntin with my buddy next month in eastern Wa. went out and bought a couple calls, ill be shootin my 22-250 so i shouldnt have a problem reaching out to them. we plan on settin my remote call out along a clearing line and seeing what we can bring to it. anything particular we should be looking out for, or any other methods people use? ill have a hand held on me also to call for em that way.

first time small game varmint hunter here, and im goin yotie huntin with my buddy next month in eastern Wa. went out and bought a couple calls, ill be shootin my 22-250 so i shouldnt have a problem reaching out to them. we plan on settin my remote call out along a clearing line and seeing what we can bring to it. anything particular we should be looking out for, or any other methods people use? ill have a hand held on me also to call for em that way.

You will get as many different tips on what to do as there are song dog hunters out there.
Coyotes are very smart and have great vision as well as smell. You need to be concealed well, ghillie suit if possible and remain as still as possible. Also, they tend to just show up from out of nowhere or roll in from the last direction you expect. If there are two of you it cant hurt for one to carry a shotgun for close in work.
Oh, and make sure you have land owner permission. ;)

We'll be east, so theres a good chance of snow. Ill be prepared to be camouflaged for snow or wooded areas, whichever will work best. Ill have my .45 on me incase we come across a cat or close coyotes. Im not sure where were going but ill definitely be making sure we got land owner permission. Ill be sure to keep a swivel on my head at all times, thanks for the tips!

Tyler

We'll be east, so theres a good chance of snow. Ill be prepared to be camouflaged for snow or wooded areas, whichever will work best. Ill have my .45 on me incase we come across a cat or close coyotes. Im not sure where were going but ill definitely be making sure we got land owner permission. Ill be sure to keep a swivel on my head at all times, thanks for the tips!

Tyler

If you are able to take a coyote with your .45 there will be a lot of people who will want to hear about it. Not that you can't, just that the difficulty factor will be significant.

Go to this link http://olenholster.com/ and contact the guy there. His name is Bruce and has been a very good friend of mine for a very long time. He actually guides coyote hunts in central and eastern WA. He lives in Snohomish. He would be very happy to answer your questions and give you some real goo knowledgeable tips. You might even want to book a hunt with him at some point. Whether you do or not though I am sure he would like to chat with you about your plans.

If you are able to take a coyote with your .45 there will be a lot of people who will want to hear about it. Not that you can't, just that the difficulty factor will be significant.

Go to this link Olen Holster and contact the guy there. His name is Bruce and has been a very good friend of mine for a very long time. He actually guides coyote hunts in central and eastern WA. He lives in Snohomish. He would be very happy to answer your questions and give you some real goo knowledgeable tips. You might even want to book a hunt with him at some point. Whether you do or not though I am sure he would like to chat with you about your plans.
My friend a west union resident has got to carry his .45 to go from house to shop(30yards) at night and there is a McDonalds not far away. Urban groth Boundry area seems to have more yotes than farther in the hills. They need a good thinning big time.

Go to this link Olen Holster and contact the guy there. His name is Bruce and has been a very good friend of mine for a very long time. He actually guides coyote hunts in central and eastern WA. He lives in Snohomish. He would be very happy to answer your questions and give you some real goo knowledgeable tips. You might even want to book a hunt with him at some point. Whether you do or not though I am sure he would like to chat with you about your plans.

I meant that ill have my .45 on me in case of attack or coyotes appearing from the rear. Or if a cat shows up, ill want close range protection. Maybe ill shoot your friend a message, couldnt hurt. Thanks.

Tyler.

Especially on the east side, where their environment is more pure and ideal for a predator. Over here on the west side i see yoties all the time but theyre all ratty and unhealthy lookin, mostly from garbage digging and irregular diet i assume.

I'm new to the whole Coyote hunting scene, and have had no luck in wooded areas. Can anyone give me some good spots or resources to find Coyote hunting areas? I'm headed out to The Dalles this weekend and wanted to get some coyote time in. Living close to Portland doesn't lend itself to good Coyote hunting terrain. Please PM or reply here. Just got a Foxpro for Xmas and want to give it a shot. Thanks.

I'm new to the whole Coyote hunting scene, and have had no luck in wooded areas. Can anyone give me some good spots or resources to find Coyote hunting areas? I'm headed out to The Dalles this weekend and wanted to get some coyote time in. Livinyou g close to Portland doesn't lend itself to good Coyote hunting terrain. Please PM or reply here. Just got a Foxpro for Xmas and want to give it a shot. Thanks.
You actually live pretty close to some very excellent coyote hunting grounds. But the thing is that hords that are closer toopulation centers have been trained by hunters on how best to avoid being shot.
If you are going to hit rural wasco county then its all about relationships. There is plenty of private property where you could hung, hut you have to get permission. And the land owner has to be able to trust you.
But like most hunting, you are not always going to be successful. Enjoy the process and the wilderness experience. Hire a guide a few times and take notes. Learn from them and apply that knowledge to your hunts.
I posted a web link to a buddies site who is an expert and has guided hunts. And he knows the areas around the Dalles very well. Contact him and hit him up with hour questions or better yet, hire him to take you.

I have hunted the Juniper Flat area of Wasco County for several years. I have distant family that owns some large ranches over there. I've had some success hunting the edges of wheat fields near canyons with a mouth call. I've always used a male challenge howl as my main call, along with a cottontail distress call for closer in work. I got a FoxPro Wildfire for Christmas, so now I have a lot more options than the calls I know on my mouth call. Any advice on what calls to use on my FoxPro?

Use the odd ball calls on your FoxPro. Most everyone has an electronic call with the "dying rabbit" sound on it. Most dogs aren't stupid and odds are they have heard that sound before and have learned to associate it with bad things. Try bird sounds or cat sounds, and don't just sit there and let the call run the entire time. Play with the volume, start low and work your way up over a period of 15-20 minutes playing the caller no more than a couple of minutes at a time with 2-3 minute pauses of silence. I don't advise new callers to try using coyote vocalizations (howls, pup distress, etc...) because you don't know thier language and could easily "say" the wrong thing. What you may think sounds like "hey, I'm over here and I've got lunch if you'd like to join me" could actually sound something like "don't come over here there is some dumba$$ with a rifle and a new FoxPro waiting to shoot you". Go with a friend who knows what they are doing, or better yet hire a guide. Please, please, please, stop going out and "educating" all the coyotes in the country as to what a hunter sounds like when they are trying to call a coyote. And if by some miracle you do actually call in a coyote, please dear god by all that is holy, DO NOT MISS THE SHOT!!!

Seriously though, get out there and have some fun, there are plenty of coyotes to go round!

I'm the only one who hunts coyotes on 10K acres of private land over there. They don't get much education about predator calling. I use a Bushmaster Varminter, so I seldom leave educated witnesses.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top