JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Police Say Flex Your Rights DVD is Evidence of Criminal Activity

SUBMITTED BY STEVE SILVERMAN ON WED, 11/30/2011 - 16:58
A controversial police raid of the popular Capitol Hemp stores in Washington, D.C. has become more interesting with the release of the affidavit filed by an undercover officer seeking a judge’s approval to search the premises for evidence of drug paraphernalia distribution. Police allege that water pipes and other tobacco accessories sold at the stores were intended for illegal use, and their evidence includes the fact that Capitol Hemp sold Flex Your Rights DVDs!

Check out this section from the search warrant affidavit, available in full at DCist:

4. While your Affiant was looking at the smoking devices U/C [redacted] observed a DVD that was for sale entitled "10 Rules for Dealing with Police". The DVD gave the following listed topics that were covered as:

A. Deal with traffic stops, street stops and police at your door.

B. Know your rights and maintain your cool, and;

C. Avoid common police tricks and prevent humiliating searches.

Your Affiant notes that while this DVD is informative for any citizen, when introduced into a store that promotes the use of a controlled substance this DVD becomes a tool for deceiving law enforcement to keep from being arrested. The typical citizen would not need to know detailed information as to US Supreme Court case law regarding search and seizure because they are not transporting illegal substances in fear of being caught.

This is absurd, and anyone who's seen the film knows how off target this characterization is. 10 Rules for Dealing with Police shows how everyday people can sometimes face uncomfortable encounters with police, and every citizen is better off understanding their constitutional rights. There is nothing in the video that a "typical citizen would not need to know," because every citizen has a chance of having an encounter with police at some point in their lives.

I'm pleased to discover that law enforcement and legal scholars share our belief in the importance of making this material available to the public. We’ve received more orders from police departments than hemp stores, and I'm proud that our film has helped foster positive collaborations between police and the communities they serve. The film is also a popular tool among police trainers, who use it to educate officers about respecting constitutional rights and to appreciate how they're perceived by the public they serve.

That's why I'm disappointed to hear our material described as "a tool for deceiving law enforcement." When police use it in criminal procedure courses at the academy, that doesn't make it a tool for arresting people any more than a hemp store customer might use it to trick cops. The Bill of Rights is not a trick or a loophole to protect criminals. It's the highest law of the land. It's also a template for good police work and good citizenship. That's what Flex Your Rights is all about.

Anyone who's watched 10 Rules for Dealing with Police will likely agree that both police and the public stand to benefit when more people learn the film's lessons. Flex Your Rights has seen how numerous institutions, ranging from police departments to high schools to hemp stores, all have a common interest and unique ability to reach specific audiences with this important information. No one should ever be afraid to share it in fear that they'll be accused of condoning criminal activity.

STEVE SILVERMAN'S BLOG

These are the 10 Rules for Dealing with Police that they teach.

1. Always be calm and cool.

2. You have the right to remain silent.

3. You have the right to refuse searches.

4. Don't get tricked into waiving your rights.

5. Determine if you're free to go.

6. Don't do anything illegal.

7. Don't run.

8. Never touch a cop.

9. Report misconduct: Be a good witness.

10. You don't have to let them in.

Hardly earth shattering advice. The judge that approved the search warrant due to this should be unseated.

11. Avoid contact at all costs. Don't talk to them. Don't ever call them. When you go to a carnival do you stick your hand in the Lion's cage? Their purpose is to protect the interests of the corporate state.

They are not interested in protecting and 'serving' you. If you believe they are, please locate a dunce cap and put it on. Sher-Riff = overseer of the peasants.

Posted here before many times and one of the most important videos ever -- Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

I always thought that it a crock of poop that LEO'S can blatantly lie to you to get what they want, but if "you" provide false information you are committing a crime. Since when is it a crime to know your civil rights!

Not sure how it works in Oregon, but in California it is generally not a crime to lie to the police. There are 2 exceptions to the rule :

a) during an active investigation
b) federal law enforcement (regardless of the state)

I always thought that it a crock of poop that LEO'S can blatantly lie to you to get what they want, but if "you" provide false information you are committing a crime. Since when is it a crime to know your civil rights!

From the inclusion of Flex Your Rights in this warrant, I'd say it is NOT a crime for LEOs to lie to a Judge.

Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of people sitting in jail that are innocent due to planted evidence and/or lies. Unfortunately, the system is corrupt to the core. The only way to hopefully prevent such a fate from falling upon you is to observe rule 11.; avoid contact at all costs. As for rights, we really have none, so rule 11 is still the best.

By the judge's logic, if I have sniper books then I'm a sniper? What about the Uni-Bomber's manifesto?

Morons...if someone didn't do anything illegal then you can't charge someone for it.

The rest of this cop bashing crap is uncalled for, though.

They are not interested in protecting and 'serving' you. If you believe they are, please locate a dunce cap and put it on. Sher-Riff = overseer of the peasants.

Most people want to be cops to serve the public and protect the innocent. If you don't believe this then YOU can sit in a corner with a dunce cap (but you don't have to put it on your head, I'm sure you can find another place to put it).

Nevertheless, most of the other advice is sound. If you don't have a need to tell the police anything, then don't.

Most people want to be cops to serve the public and protect the innocent.

You don't think there's a possibility that the badge, uniform, gun, ticket book, arrest powers, handcuffs, equipped car with lights and siren and obvious authority don't combine to attract some bullies?

So I guess if you're a law student you're guilty of the crime of learning how to beat the police in court?

I guess an attorney's tools such as law books, internet subscriptions etc. are criminal devices?

Don't hate; avoid. There is a big difference. There is nothing positive that will ever come from interaction. Two of my closest friends are cops and they are exceptions, but they wholeheartedly agree. They don't want to be babysitters, they don't want to hold your hand or help you - they want to chew bubblegum and kick *** only.

I don't hate rattlesnakes, in fact I like them. I think they are cool, but when I see one I make sure to not walk over or near them. Why? Because nothing good will become of it.

A buddy of mine pulled into a parking lot in L.O. the other day to ask a cop if he needed mud flaps on the back of his truck. The cop said yes and then proceeded to write him a ticket. I laughed when he told me that; don't know what he was thinking; dummy.

You don't think there's a possibility that the badge, uniform, gun, ticket book, arrest powers, handcuffs, equipped car with lights and siren and obvious authority don't combine to attract some bullies?

Sure it's a possibility. and it happens. But in most places those guys are the exceptions, not the rule. And they usually have short careers. The thin blue line may protect them from the justice they truly deserve, but they still find themselves gone from most departments pretty quick.

In the days of cell-phone cameras, these guys are walking talking lawsuits ready to happen. Most departments don't want that, if nothing else. And even before that, most cops I know don't want to work with brutes.

Don't hate; avoid. There is a big difference. There is nothing positive that will ever come from interaction. Two of my closest friends are cops and they are exceptions, but they wholeheartedly agree. They don't want to be babysitters, they don't want to hold your hand or help you - they want to chew bubblegum and kick *** only.

I don't hate rattlesnakes, in fact I like them. I think they are cool, but when I see one I make sure to not walk over or near them. Why? Because nothing good will become of it.

A buddy of mine pulled into a parking lot in L.O. the other day to ask a cop if he needed mud flags on the back of his truck. The cop said yes and then proceeded to write him a ticket. I laughed when he told me that; don't know what he was thinking; dummy.

Exactly.

Sure it's a possibility. and it happens. But in most places those guys are the exceptions, not the rule. And they usually have short careers. The thin blue line may protect them from the justice they truly deserve, but they still find themselves gone from most departments pretty quick.

In the days of cell-phone cameras, these guys are walking talking lawsuits ready to happen. Most departments don't want that, if nothing else. And even before that, most cops I know don't want to work with brutes.

Your experience is different from mine.

Cops are not responsible for protecting you, their job is to enforce the edicts of the state.
Sometimes they coincide with your safety and your rights, but more often they do not.

The nine scariest words in the english language:

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

That said, police provide a valuable service: keeping the scumbags off my lawn and away from my stuff. However, the problem is, the police are so used to dealing with scumbags, after a while everyone starts to look like a scumbag. What really needs to happen is we need more professionalism in policing. The increasing problem I see is the same jackboot thug tactics that need to be employed against drug cartels, are often being used against grandmothers. We need fewer cowboys who want to kick in doors and throw people against the wall.

11. Avoid contact at all costs. Don't talk to them. Don't ever call them.

This is just bad advice.

There are times and situations I'd rather the police deal with things, rather than myself or my wife. There is no reason why you should not call the police if funny situations arise. Use your head.

We also have a good relationship with the WPD, so its not usually any sort of issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top