JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Listening to the lady interviewed comment on the video made me want to punch her in the face. They totally missed that the use of force was not for Jaywalking but for failure to comply and basically attacking the officer. They can cry all they want about using excessive force on a young (black) woman but I guarantee if I would have pulled that same bubblegum on that officer he would have lit my middle aged, white fat *** up.

How tough is it to comply and be respectful to the police ? What would you expect if you struggled , defied , wrestled , and taunted an officer in that situation ? Do the words tazer dummy sound familiar ? What a world of lame ***es we live in when nobody in the crowd supports the cop - but every one of them would scream in a New York minute if the police weren't there to protect them ! If my kid fought with the officer that way - I would kick his butt !

First, let me say that Seattle's jaywalking laws are, frankly, idiotic and I think they're about the most ridiculous in the nation. Just do a quick google search, you'll see.

Second, that being said, my jaywalking interaction with the police was COMPLETELY different. Regardless of how I feel about the law, I'm smart enough to realize that downtown at night during a police stop is not the time to voice said opinion. I signed for my ticket, said goodnight to the officers and went on my merry way.

I'm pretty critical of the police (as I've been accused of here before), but I see this as justified. The girl assaulted the officer, and he defended himself and the arrest. Completely fine in my opinion.

Taser use is on different levels of the use of force scale in different jurisdictions. In some jurisdictions he might have been justified. He felt threatened by multiple people and he reacted. I'd say he did okay. But there's always going to be some idiots who think whatever officers do is wrong.
I think he showed incredible restraint not planting that young lady face down. It doesn't look like he was weak, it looks like he was attempting to use the least amount of force necessary to affect an arrest on an unruly suspect. I think that lady was very lucky that he didn't simply plant her on her face on the pavement, twist her arms into submission, and cuff her. He would have been justified.

Lesson here boys and girls. During an arrest is not the time to resist or argue. If you feel you are being mistreated, make that point after the fact. Then the arresting officer or the law itself looks bad, unlike in this case, where the crowd, especially the two women, looked stupid...

So by your standard if a criminal steals a piece of 5 cent candy and then the criminals friend pulls a gun on the officer trying to arrest the criminal and gets shot by the officer you would say the officer shot the criminal over a piece of 5 cent candy right?

Hey man, let's be reasonable!

If there's 5 cents of candy on the line, all civility is gone!

Bludgeon them with any object nearby!!! ;)

What can i say, i'm not an angry, powerless man, scared of being out in the city.

I'm not saying the women involved here were correct, i'm saying i think the officer was incorrect.

You'll just have to accept that that is my opinion.

Or not.

I think the thread title should be changed to:

"Officer pimp slaps girl interfering with his arrest"

He shouldnt have used his fist or spent so much time restraining.

That's what mace, tasers, and batons are for.

I would have started with the taser and baton. A quick taze and a whack, that first girl would have been easy to cuff. After she was in custody I would have asked again for compliance from the girl in pink. If she chose to resist a quick squirt of pepper spray should disorient her long enough to get her face down on the concrete with a knee in the small of her back.

What I saw was a young, ignorant, self rightous person being combative with a police officer over JAYWALKING. I can understand resisting a police officer over robbing a bank, but for jaywalking, I think I would keep my mouth shut and wait for the very minor ticket or, most likely, a warning. This young woman decided her right to jaywalk included her right to not obey a police officer's commands and then resist arrest. The officer was being rather gentle with her waiting for her crying and resisting to tire her out. The other woman decided to interfere with a lawful arrest. He punched her when she would not stop. The punch worked. He made his arrest and I'm sure the next officer that arrived had very little trouble arresting the other woman. I'm just glad the crowd didn't attack him because it would have likely resulted in a bunch of dead people.

Could the officer have handled the situation better? I bet. Did he violate any laws or civil rights? Not a chance. Now we get to hear about this for months and months and the girl's families will sue the city and police department and waste a lot of money. And yes, the race card will be played to it's full extent.

I do want to say, congratulations on turning a misdemeanor jaywalking citation into felony assault on a police officer. Way to aim high.

He shouldnt have used his fist or spent so much time restraining.

That's what mace, tasers, and batons are for.

I would have started with the taser and baton. A quick taze and a whack, that first girl would have been easy to cuff. After she was in custody I would have asked again for compliance from the girl in pink. If she chose to resist a quick squirt of pepper spray should disorient her long enough to get her face down on the concrete with a knee in the small of her back.

A couple of problems with that post. First, OC spray, tasers, and batons are all an escalation of force above a hand strike. He felt threatened, but it doesn't mean he felt he had justification to escalate his use of force. Second, no one is easy to cuff. If someone doesn't want to be restrained, its very difficult to do so without physically hurting them. It's fairly obvious that he was attempting to restrain her without hurting her.

Another thing to consider is that he didn't seem to have any back-up and the crowd was obviously hostile. If I were in his situation, that would have been in my mind. The girl resisted a lawful order by a LEO. She deserved to be detained. Both girls are guilty of resisting arrest. But to that crowd, they hadn't done anything wrong. And if that crowd decided to get physical, that officer would have been forced to escalate his force. If I were him, I would have tried to keep things as non-provocative as possible. While both more than likely needed to be planted and cuffed, I think he was trying to keep the crowd on the sidelines. Or at least I would have been.

Good video. Give a real life look at what rectums people can be and how they deserve what they get for being that way. I bet drugs had something to do with the civilians actions, got to be stupid to bring on a punch to the face.

jj

I would have tazed them .... especially when the one was behind him on his weapon side .... Would have only taken a moment for things to really go bad. BTW, I wonder what happened when his backup 'finally' showed up??? The article stated 3 were arrested?

JMO

He should have tazed both of them. If it would have been guys resisting him he would have shot them.

The girl in the black shirt is lucky he was being gentle with her. If it was a guy the LEO would have thrown him face down onto the asphalt.

O/yeah they will play the race card. And the media will help them.

Good luck to the LEO!

He should have tazed both of them. If it would have been guys resisting him he would have shot them.

The girl in the black shirt is lucky he was being gentle with her. If it was a guy the LEO would have thrown him face down onto the asphalt.

O/yeah they will play the race card. And the media will help them.

Good luck to the LEO!

The recent issues with the LEO's in Seattle and everywhere else must have every officer second guessing every move they make. All of a sudden race is an issue. Gender is an issue. Public perception is an issue. There's a fine line between the abuses of the 70's and today's overcompensation, but we need to find it as a public so our LEO's can do the best job we pay them to do...

Does not look like he was able to control her at all. She had her way most of the time. Cannot accuse him of much wrong doing.

It appears that he was trying NOT to hurt her... hence being gentle.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top