JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Humans have trained and bred pit bulls to fight and now that instinct is engraved in the dog. Just like greyhounds even if they have never ever been trained still are really damn fast. They were bred to do that and are very good at it. It just takes one wrong move to piss them off. That's why only people who understand how the animal acts and how it was bred should have them.

What?... Do some research and give it some thought? Really? Who does that?

Honestly, if you had to research that the dog may bite if you keep trying to put a sweater on it against its will, you shouldn't have a dog. Not all dogs are alike, some will some won't. If its from the pound I won't risk it, especially if I had a family.

Its a shame cause this dog will likely get put down and no one will hold the people accountable. And idiots get to continue being idiots. :mad:

Actually, my comment was meant to be more in general and less specific to this case. People buy or adopt dogs without having a clue as to what the breed qualities, maintenance, trainability, etc are (there is lot's of information on the net)... that's one reason why we see sooooooo many dogs at the shelter or rescue. Those dogs are rarely turned in because they are biters, but are instead something the owner does not want. Would I go buy a 'puter, cellphone, gamebox, TV, car, etc etc etc without checking it out? No I wouldn't! But people do every day!!! Then they call me up to help them install/fix/operate etc etc etc. The same lack of responsibility exists when most people get a dog.

Some in this conversation would like us to believe that there are no breed traits. Yup, of course there aren't... that's why selective breeding never accomplished anything besides color/coat/size differences. Sheesh.

PS, all the dogs I have adopted from rescue or shelter were sweethearts! It usually doesn't take long for proper love and care to reverse the effects of animal abuse or neglect. Would I have exposed my toddlers to a shelter dog? Depends on the breed and what my personal assessment of the dogs individual temperment is. Some people are good with dogs, some are bozos about this and about life in general.:rolleyes:

This was taken about 20 years ago of a bully I had named Jake. We kept him about 115lbs in his prime. He was great with my kids growing up but he was very unpredictable with other people. The one I have now is about 15lbs smaller and is absolutely the worst watch dog on the planet because he likes everybody.
James

20170105_154306_resized.jpg

Actually, my comment was meant to be more in general and less specific to this case. People buy or adopt dogs without having a clue as to what the breed qualities, maintenance, trainability, etc are (there is lot's of information on the net)... that's one reason why we see sooooooo many dogs at the shelter or rescue. Those dogs are rarely turned in because they are biters, but are instead something the owner does not want. Would I go buy a 'puter, cellphone, gamebox, TV, car, etc etc etc without checking it out? No I wouldn't! But people do every day!!! Then they call me up to help them install/fix/operate etc etc etc. The same lack of responsibility exists when most people get a dog.

Some in this conversation would like us to believe that there are no breed traits. Yup, of course there aren't... that's why selective breeding never accomplished anything besides color/coat/size differences. Sheesh.

PS, all the dogs I have adopted from rescue or shelter were sweethearts! It usually doesn't take long for proper love and care to reverse the effects of animal abuse or neglect. Would I have exposed my toddlers to a shelter dog? Depends on the breed and what my personal assessment of the dogs individual temperment is. Some people are good with dogs, some are bozos about this and about life in general.:rolleyes:
That is true, but some things should be common knowledge. In regards to research the type of dog they want, that can never be stressed enough. My friend and his family had a german shepherd, and it was obvious they had no clue what they were doing. They got an East German work line dog without even realizing there were different lines. It had separation anxiety and they wrote it off as it wanting to be in control. That dog was easy to train, they just didn't do it right.

It should have gone to a "special needs" home (one that understood the animal's needs). It is, indeed, regrettable, that the dog was in "the wrong hands at the wrong time".

I was fortunate that a "special needs" home was found for my biter. I loved that dog, bought her as a pup from what later turned out to be rural puppy mill... she was not socialized at all, and I hated to give her up. She was great with me, so-so with the wife, and attacked everybody else. :( But she was placed with an older gal that didn't have any kids, relatives, friends, etc, that would be at hazard.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews