JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What delay tactics do you use before making a decision?

Last Edited:
As always :

It is really only a good deal if you have an actual use for it.

I enjoy both firearms and books....
In the case of books...I only have so much room / shelf space...
So I look for books that fit my specific interests...and am very choosy about condition.

Just about the same for my collection of firearms.
It needs to fit a specific need or use...

I also research what I am interested in before buying.
Impulse buying can at times bring home a neat gun or book...but..it mostly leads to buyers remorse.
Andy

I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer is will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

I play this song…. Yeah, baby let me sleep on it!

Rational -

I look at the logic, justification, practicality, desire to own something before I buy - but most importantly is it something I am going to 'embrace' in the long term - or just a 'short term' impulse purchase that I will loose interest in.

However - this has sometimes worked against me as well as there have been times when my the time taken to 'delay' something has resulted in loosing something that was gone by the time I decided I wanted it so there is this I have dealt with.

I have lost three guns I really decided I wanted because of this - one an early Sig p226, a Winchester 1873 .357 Mag 'Sporting rifle' and a 9mm Rock RIA 1911. There have been other non-gun related things I have lost as well but these were notable I remember!

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer is will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

It really depends.

I know I am impulsive, especially when shopping..

Budget usually keeps me in check as I have bills. There are things I have been keeping track of for some time waiting for the right sale and things line up...

Awhile back, a dehumidifier I wanted and was watching for a couple years for a decent sale price, I was told I would be receiving a check for some work done and happened to check and find the dehumidifier on the best sale I've seen in years... So I bought it. Almost 300 off the almost 1k price with some extras included. A commercial grade dehumidifier, sat in the closet at my family's shop for storage, got to take it out for the first time last week and try it, I was impressed with the performance and ease of use...

In terms of firearms, I've learned restraint more but that is due to me more access than most.

Still, there was a time, during covid, built 2 ARs a pistol and rifle in 7.62x39. End of covid I found a hard to find Zastava ZPAP M70 that came in, it was the last one, a customer special ordered it and the shop ordered a second while they were available. I put it on layaway the moment I saw it, money down on it, and sold the 2 AR's on consignment and bought the Zastava.

It depends on availability, and a number of things sometimes I'll sleep on it and talk myself out of things easily, others order and live with it...

Latest impulse purchase and with a good deal, a dji camera drone... overlapping some payments on it with the last impulse buy of a good inverter generator, again on a nice sale. Items on my list miles long.

Lately purchases have been coming from extra work being done and parts to enhance the extra work I've been doing... The Drone and Dehumidifier, primarily will be used in the maintenance of the buildings I have been working on... The drone will be doing roof and property inspections and documenting.

If I want it but think I should keep saving for something better, I just ask the wife what she thinks. She's Swiss and makes money howl when it leaves her fingers. :D

With firearms purchases I give it an absolute minimum of two weeks. Practically speaking, it is a month or much more, for a variety of factors, but in part because my interests have been a bit more esoteric for a while. Sometime an idea lasts, sometimes it does not; giving it some weeks helps winnow out fun/useful ideas from brain farts. (I have different time frames for other types of investments; some shorter some longer. Books, for example, I'm a bit more impulse-y on, though not as much in the past. They are easily stored and sold though whenever I need to clear shelf pace.)

A firearm is a relatively expensive item and the regulatory environment can make them slow to liquidate. Depending on what it is, it might also involve ammunition and magazine purchases, which involves more cash outlay and storage requirements. And in the past decade, many of my acquisitions were part of a project that involved months of parts acquisition, gunsmithing (home and professional), NFA registration, testing, etc. So the question becomes will the X time and Y cash investment equal X + Y worth of neato-ness. The answer is generally no, so acquisitions have fallen off a cliff in the last few years and I'm more than comfortable with that. (In fact, I'm eager to jettison some arms to help finance some life changes coming, but thus far my better half has put the kibosh on that plan.)

Thinking back, there were few firearms purchased that were truly "impulse buys", though some were close. In fairness, some of those did, in fact, turn out to be something that brought me a lot of enjoyment. It was the exception, not the norm, though.

Finally @Aero Denezol hit on an important point: are you buying the item or the dopamine hit? If the former, enjoy! If the latter, this is likely something that needs to be addressed. Good luck.

images-2.jpeg

I'll wait for up to a month or longer to pull the trigger on most purchases.

That said I've learned long ago when buying something I'll buy the best I can afford.

Buy once cry once.

I used to buy cheap tools and the joy of using them was nil. 30 years ago, I changed and bought the best that I could afford and found joy in using them.

Well, I decide I need something. I generally do much research, pricing and looking for specific model.
Case in point, I waited almost 3 years before buying a 1 ton diesel truck for hauling my camper and boat. 99% of the trucks out there did not have the manual transfer shift case. That was the only option that I did not falter on. I love my decision every time I look at it. :s0116::s0116::s0116:

Call me Krazy, But I really don't have a desire to buy anymore guns nowadays, I've already got the ones that I use and can build the ones that I want.
See, I'm saving money every day, think of it as drugs, just say NO!!! ;)

Reloading tools/components is a different story, if I see it and I want/need it, I buy it post haste. I've lost too much stuff/good deals due to procrastination. :s0070:

IMG_1281.jpeg

That said I've learned long ago when buying something I'll buy the best I can afford.
Truth. Junk will always disappoint.

Is it a good idea sober? Yes ? Move to step two. Is it a good idea drunk? Best way to make decisions.
I'm reminded of a quote from Jimmy Breslin, "Don't trust a brilliant idea unless it survives the hangover."

Any significant purchase I make requires detailed research and then just when I think I have my mind made up, I check the reviews. The one or two bad reviews seem to offset the dozen good reviews, resulting in paralysis by analysis.

For instance - I was all set to buy a Jackery 500W power system. Until I watched a couple of YouTube videos comparing it to something they said was better. Then I watched the one about how many watt-hours are used by common items you would plug into one. And how long it will take the 100W solar panel to fully charge the Jackery unit. Which resulted in not being able to sleep with the thought that 500W is too low, resulting in now spending over $1000 instead of the $600 I could have bought the Jackery and solar panel for while it was onsale during my paralysis period.

I think I inherited the gene for mistake avoidance over action. Its not fun being me.

This drives my wife crazy, as her mode is to order it within minutes of seeing it for the first time and deciding she wants it.

:D

I'll wait for up to a month or longer to pull the trigger on most purchases.

Buy once cry once.

I used to buy cheap tools and the joy of using them was nil. 30 years ago, I changed and bought the best that I could afford and found joy in using them.
I'm the same way. I don't waste money on junk. If it's something I truly want or need, I will wait until I can afford the "best" of whatever it is.

Buying cheap junk never pays off. It's ALWAYS a step or more behind what it should be.

Any significant purchase I make requires detailed research and then just when I think I have my mind made up, I check the reviews. The one or two bad reviews seem to offset the dozen good reviews, resulting in paralysis by analysis.

For instance - I was all set to buy a Jackery 500W power system. Until I watched a couple of YouTube videos comparing it to something they said was better. Then I watched the one about how many watt-hours are used by common items you would plug into one. And how long it will take the 100W solar panel to fully charge the Jackery unit. Which resulted in not being able to sleep with the thought that 500W is too low, resulting in now spending over $1000 instead of the $600 I could have bought the Jackery and solar panel for while it was onsale during my paralysis period.

I think I inherited the gene for mistake avoidance over action. Its not fun being me.

This drives my wife crazy, as her mode is to order it within minutes of seeing it for the first time and deciding she wants it.

:D
LOL Same! I read and watch pretty much any all the reviews I can find. Weigh out the options and then make the decision. I rarely purchase anything of any real value without research.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top