JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What delay tactics do you use before making a decision?
𓁿✠𓂀 Every coin has at least 3 sides 𓂀 ✠𓁿Gnothi Seauton𓂀 ۞ Shall I act upon the urgings that I feel or remain passive and cease to exist?۞𓂀

𓁿✠𓂀 Every coin has at least 3 sides 𓂀 ✠𓁿Gnothi Seauton𓂀 ۞ Shall I act upon the urgings that I feel or remain passive and cease to exist?۞𓂀
I know my limits, when it comes to storage space and I am at that limit. My next purchase should be a giant shoehorn.

As for the three sides of spending. One side could be a spendthrift who buys whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of price. The second side could be a tightwad who has to have his money pride from his grip, no matter how good the deal is. I think I am on the third side which is a blend of the other two sides. I buy what I want, when I want but only if it is a great deal.

I vote for acting on urgings, so I don't cease to exist.

I take my 19 sided die and roll it.
If it doesn't come up the way I want, I'll think about the purchase as I shuffle and deal a Tarot deck.
If the cards are against it, I'll pull out the Ouijia board, put on a blindfold and ask the dead what they think. By the end of that, I'm usually so shaken that I've forgotten the question.

You should sleep on every decision, then just use "no" as your default moving forward
My Mom equipped all three of us kids with a universal tool in our belt for nearly any difficult decision:

"Always say 'No' first. You can always say 'Yes' later."

Works for sex, drugs, rock n roll, marriage, cars...and guns.

Missed a few good ones (of all of the above) but the ones it saved me from were more than worth it. :cool:

I used to do the "sleep on it" thing. If I waited a day or three and still thought it was a good idea, I'd buy it.
These days there is little in the gun cabinets or racks that makes me want to take it home. I see a lot of cool stuff, but nothing I want to spend money and go thru the regulatory BS needed to take a gun home. In fact, I'm pretty well done with adding more firearms to the pile just because of the hassle involved in bringing another gun home.

I know my limits, when it comes to storage space and I am at that limit. My next purchase should be a giant shoehorn.

As for the three sides of spending. One side could be a spendthrift who buys whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of price. The second side could be a tightwad who has to have his money pride from his grip, no matter how good the deal is. I think I am on the third side which is a blend of the other two sides. I buy what I want, when I want but only if it is a great deal.

I vote for acting on urgings, so I don't cease to exist.
There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use.

Financials. Everyone's situations are different. You have shared some of your financials, which lends to my point of STOP BUYING. Really. Just stop.

Use what you have. Either by simply taking "whatever" to the range & enjoying it/them.

Or build "whatever" - solely from what you have on hand. Then take it/them to the range & enjoy.

Clean thoroughly back at home, & prep for next range day.

All using solely what you have on hand. Nothing new to buy. Just enjoy what you already have.

Which circles back to the initial point:

There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use!

Purchase a dirt bike, you never see one parked in front of a therapist's office.
Absolutely! Best way to clear your head that I have come up with. I bought a new to me 2022 YZ250F a few weeks ago.
Correct. They're all at the Osteopath's.
I have a shirt that says something like "Never underestimate an old man on a dirt bike". I was wearing it one day when a guy at least 10, if not 15 years my senior stopped me and said, "Never underestimate the power of an orthopedic surgeon." I didn't find it as funny as he did, apparently.

first ride.jpg

There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use.

Financials. Everyone's situations are different. You have shared some of your financials, which lends to my point of STOP BUYING. Really. Just stop.

Use what you have. Either by simply taking "whatever" to the range & enjoying it/them.

Or build "whatever" - solely from what you have on hand. Then take it/them to the range & enjoy.

Clean thoroughly back at home, & prep for next range day.

All using solely what you have on hand. Nothing new to buy. Just enjoy what you already have.

Which circles back to the initial point:

There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use!
I will give your advice a go for the remainder of the month and see how I feel when May arrives. Hopefully withdrawal symptoms aren't too bad :)

I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What delay tactics do you use before making a decision?
I don't think you'll know if it was a good or bad decision until later. You already know you can live without it. But if you buy it and it turns out to be a dud (or money pit), or you never use it.

The big question is, financial hit. If it's not too big, I don't worry. If it's that big of a worry, it better be important.

I will give your advice a go for the remainder of the month and see how I feel when May arrives. Hopefully withdrawal symptoms aren't too bad :)
Well be mindful of several things. Its advice that is not time limited.

Meaning, it doesn't work if you set yourself up to fail. As you just did.

There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use. Last month(s), or next month(s).

Use what you already have. On hand. Without buying anything.

Don't overly complicate it, just use & enjoy. Repeat.

Park some simple thoughts in your mind: There will ALWAYS be deals. There will ALWAYS be deals which you will NEVER have a use for. Which makes them ALWAYS a BAD deal.

Stop looking for deals...

If you are looking, you are not using (building then using) what you already have. Use that prior "looking" time wisely.

To get better at using what you already have. Either learning to build out what you already have, or learning to use what you build better. Or to use what you have, that's ready to go better.

Well be mindful of several things. Its advice that is not time limited.

Meaning, it doesn't work if you set yourself up to fail. As you just did.

There is no great deal in buying something you don't or won't use. Last month(s), or next month(s).

Use what you already have. On hand. Without buying anything.

Don't overly complicate it, just use & enjoy. Repeat.

Park some simple thoughts in your mind: There will ALWAYS be deals. There will ALWAYS be deals which you will NEVER have a use for. Which makes them ALWAYS a BAD deal.

Stop looking for deals...

If you are looking, you are not using (building then using) what you already have. Use that prior "looking" time wisely.

To get better at using what you already have. Either learning to build out what you already have, or learning to use what you build better. Or to use what you have, that's ready to go better.
I have to be honest with myself and going cold turkey forever ain't going to happen. I may be able to practice some delayed gratification for a month or a little longer but not for life. I guess I can be thankful I am not dealing with a drug addiction or gambling addiction. On the other hand druggies use what they buy, so they got a leg up on me there.

Last Edited:
I don't think you'll know if it was a good or bad decision until later. You already know you can live without it. But if you buy it and it turns out to be a dud (or money pit), or you never use it.

The big question is, financial hit. If it's not too big, I don't worry. If it's that big of a worry, it better be important.
My main concern is not financial it is mostly about the storage space. If I can keep things somewhat organized and not grow the volume of my collection beyond what I have now, I should be OK. This might mean holding off buying ammo or reloading supplies until I use some of what I have on hand now. It could also mean selling a firearm before bringing a new one home or getting rid of something else that is in the space before bringing home another item.

I was in a hurry to finish the reorganization so I didn't go through all the totes and shelves. I could take the rest of this month to do that and it might free up a little more space but I doubt it. I have stuffed crammed pretty tight everywhere in the room.

As for finances, I am not a big hoarder of money. To me it's just a medium to trade value and make transactions. I am happy just getting by and don't have big goals to get rich. This is why I dress like Adam Sandler, drive an old car, eat cheap food, buy cheap guns, etc.

I just transferred over $1750 to my wife's acct for the Fed taxes I owed. This leaves me with about $1200 total in checking & savings to get me through to next payday. I was going to pay her back over a few months but getting it out of the way now will ease the temptation to buy more guns.

Money doesn't like to stay in my pockets.

1712243582768.jpeg

Edit: My account balance may seem dire to some here but it's not as bad as it seems. My first of the month bills have already been paid. I have two more paydays from primary job and payday on the 1st from secondary job before I have to pay first of the month bills for May. I will have a few hundred more in bills to pay later this month but I will easily be able to cover them.

Working at a pawn shop makes me appreciate how well off I am. It might not seem like it to the wealthy folks but I am doing pretty darn well. I think the lady renting the condo three doors down from us is going to be evicted. The owner of the condo told my wife she is a tenant from heck and I saw what appeared to be legal document taped to her door the other day. I was not nosy enough to walk up and read it.

I am thankful for the income I have and plan to enjoy it while I can.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads