JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to be honest with myself and going cold turkey forever ain't going to happen. I may be able to practice some delayed gratification for a month or a little longer but not for life. I guess I can be thankful I am not dealing with a drug addiction or gambling addiction. On the other hand druggies use what they buy, so they got a leg up on me there.
Again. Setting yourself up for failure.

You asked for advice. You have a problem.

You mention buying reloading stuff as well. There ya go! Reload. Off of what you already have.

Reload for the firearms. The firearms you already have (or can completely build).

Go to the range & use them.

Go home and clean what you used. For next time. Reload for next time as well, if needs be.

Again, no sense buying anything regardless of what "deal", if you won't use it.

Also, you will never keep up with the "Jones's". Don't even try. Focus on yourself & your family.

Never you mind on what the going's on down the building, or online (ie what I'm doing/others are doing). Everyone's situations differ.

Also, you will never keep up with the "Jones's". Don't even try. Focus on yourself & your family

Of all the advice I have received this is what resonates with me the most. You are 100% right that I need to do what makes me happy and not worry about impressing others. Of course I will need to balance my happiness with not upsetting the bride.

This advice will extend to almost every other aspect of my life from health to wealth. Thank you!

Edit: To put the advice into practice, I will only buy stuff that makes me happy, doesn't upset the wife and was not purchased to simply to impress others. I am happy for the Joneses but have no plans to keep up with them.

Last Edited:
Also, you will never keep up with the "Jones's". Don't even try. Focus on yourself & your family

Of all the advice I have received this is what resonates with me the most. You are 100% right that I need to do what makes me happy and not worry about impressing others. Of course I will need to balance my happiness with not upsetting the bride.

This advice will extend to almost every other aspect of my life from health to wealth. Thank you!

Edit: To put the advice into practice, I will only buy stuff that makes me happy, doesn't upset the wife and was not purchased to simply to impress others. I am happy for the Joneses but have no plans to keep up with them.
Sounds to me like you're stayin' ahead of the Joneses rather well. :)

I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What delay tactics do you use before making a decision?
Hem, haw, sleep on it and either 1) buy it if it's still available, or 2) delay some more. There are some things I don't mess around with tho.. like ammo purchases if needed.

I'm cautious with spending lately, just because the economy is, well it sucks. Although we have several months of expenses banked, and I have my firearms fund, I'm still very cautious in my spending.

There's lots of things I'd like to have, but logic kicks and it becomes, do I need to have it. My latest infatuation is a Kimber K6s DCR. I've got the cash in hand bust just can't justify the expenditure because it's a want, not a need. I have others that are currently in the role it would be pressed into, so that's also part of it.

I guess I have more restraint than I've ever had in the past.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top